Thread: Would anyone here care to lend/rent their spark plug time-sert kit to me?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Would anyone here care to lend/rent /sell their spark plug time-sert kit to me?

GRRR!
    I've been chasing a long cranking and cold misfire that I had attributed to the fuel system bleeding off pressure overnight. Well the pressure was indeed dropping but the cold misfire remains.
    #1(thank God at least for it being the easiest one to reach) hole is buggered and all the carbon seems to be keep the plug from properly grounding. The plug won't tighten and didn't want to come out without some pulling. Threads are knackered.
    Anyway, I'll need to repair it and would prefer to mooch the use of another's tools rather than cough up for a (please) one time use. Actually, I'd be happy to remunerate a reasonable sum to use or buy a second hand kit outright.
    SO, if borrowed, I promise to care for it, clean it, and promptly return it.
    Bueller? Bueller?
    Last edited by ross1; 01-22-2022 at 02:35 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Timesert 4412e-111 is about $250 on ebay.
    Buy it, use it, then resell it on ebay as "used" for a bit less (such as $220), so basically you lose only $40.

Check local auto parts store if they have a kit for rent???

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Or buy a used one on ebay for $220, use it, then resell it for $230.. sorry, it's just the way my mind works..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I would if I had one.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Haha @SW530 is correct.

I have done it before, I scored a good tool on ebay for cheap, used it, fixed the car and re-sold the tool for more.
    But after ebay taking 10% and Paypal taking 3% profit, I broke even lol...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=cnn;30772937]Timesert 4412e-111 is about $250 on ebay.
    Buy it, use it, then resell it on ebay as "used" for a bit less (such as $220), so basically you lose only $40.
    [/QUO

Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    Or buy a used one on ebay for $220, use it, then resell it for $230.. sorry, it's just the way my mind works..
    Agreed.
    I did this with a very specific tool for overhauling the valve on one of our water treatment devices at the house. It wasn't as expensive though so I really didn't sweat the resale.
    Checked for used @ Ebay the other day, no luck.
    There are some WAAY cheaper alternatives I'm also contemplating. I may peruse the local parts houses today to see what's on hand. The need for long reach narrows the field considerably.
    Meanwhile I stuck the plug back in so the car is ambulatory. This is Mrs. Ross' car but has essentially been put out to pasture since we bought a Flex so I can afford to procrastinate on this one.

Thanks, Philly, for the offer, it's the thought that counts.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I'm assuming this is beyond a thread chaser or tap to rectify?
    demet

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    [QUOTE=ross1;30773061]
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    There are some WAAY cheaper alternatives
    Have you queried your local Ford dealers? Not sure of the size, but the Triton 5.4's has a run where the spark plugs would either get stuck or blow out and the fix was a time sert. They're used to doing it on the cars without tearing down the engines. You'd think with the amount they had to do they'd be pretty good at it. The local machine shops also have them for carry-in work and could do them on the car..

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I was at Napa few weeks ago and I though I've seen a kit that looked decent quality, forgot the price or brand.
    Maybe check with them if you have local one?

And yes, I'd gladly loan you one if I had it. Never had that issue though so I never bought one.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 01-24-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Why are those time-serts so crazy expensive?
    Are they THAT much better than a helicoil?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I can spin the extension attached to the socket by hand all day long so past repair with a chaser.
    Pretty sure the Fords use a tapered seat plug so that kit wouldn't be useful. I know guys who've dealt with that one and access can be a real bitch. I'll take comfort in that my repair is in plain sight and easy reach.
    My errands took me past an Advance Auto Parts, no dice on the tool but a vast selection of air fresheners and cheesy accessories.
    I'll look into a nearby Napa today. The countermen there are at least old enough to shave and know auto parts.
    Yeah, the TimesSert stuff is stupid expensive. I'll probably use something else as long as the size of the insert doesn't preclude the use of one (TimeSert) later should it fail.
    I'll report back with my method and results.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I saw a vid on using a helicoil and he slathered red loctite on it before inserting it. Once loctite dried he used a die to clean it up. Not sure on how applicable a tabbed helicoil is for a spark plug hole since you need to snap the tang off and risk losing it in the cylinder. There are tangless helicoils but the special insertion tool is like $400.
    demet

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    I saw a vid on using a helicoil and he slathered red loctite on it before inserting it. Once loctite dried he used a die to clean it up. Not sure on how applicable a tabbed helicoil is for a spark plug hole since you need to snap the tang off and risk losing it in the cylinder. There are tangless helicoils but the special insertion tool is like $400.
    I wonder how effective LocTite would be in that temperature environment.
    Losing the tang doesn't scare me too much, a bit of glue on the end of the tool ought to hold onto it. If not a better than even chance I can fish it out or worst case it gets blown out the exhaust.

There is a local guy who had a quite a nice cottage industry repairing Cadillac Northstars. I sent a friend to him after discussing his procedure which included TimeSerting the block. He's done a zillion of them so I'm guessing fairly proficient at the procedure and clearly has all the tools. If he doesn't expect me to pay a semester of his kid's tuition I might just swallow my pride and pay the man.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I would not use the helicoil in this application... The time-sert approach is the way to go IMO...I don't have the tool otherwise I would send it to you.. Sreten at M539 restorations (youtube) did this within last few months..Appears pretty straightforward although I haven't done it...Sreten covered the tool in grease to capture as much of the alum shavings as he could..

It might be worth a convo with the Northstar guru.. it would be child's play for him...

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I wonder how effective LocTite would be in that temperature environment.
    Losing the tang doesn't scare me too much, a bit of glue on the end of the tool ought to hold onto it. If not a better than even chance I can fish it out or worst case it gets blown out the exhaust.
    I maintain a small collection of loctite's I use on the firearms I build. Loctite has a bunch of specialty products that will cover just about anything you can imagine unlike smaller companies like Vibratite. One product that's especially effective in heat is called Rocksett. I don't use it often because whatever you use it on.. chances are you won't be getting it off. You can find it here.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Rocksett - Now that's what I'm talking about.
    demet

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I enter "timesert 4412" on ebay and go this for $99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255349756410

Buy it for $99, use it, resell it for $200 lol...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    I would not use the helicoil in this application... The time-sert approach is the way to go IMO...I don't have the tool otherwise I would send it to you.. Sreten at M539 restorations (youtube) did this within last few months..Appears pretty straightforward although I haven't done it...Sreten covered the tool in grease to capture as much of the alum shavings as he could..

It might be worth a convo with the Northstar guru.. it would be child's play for him...
    If done properly , Helicoil works pretty well imo ..

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    I enter "timesert 4412" on ebay and go this for $99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255349756410

Buy it for $99, use it, resell it for $200 lol...
    Good find, I'm tempted but..
    I spoke with the Cadillac Northstar guru yesterday. He says he still does a couple every week and his parking lot has more DeVilles than the parking garage of a Florida condo building. Anyway, he's agreed to do it for the cost of this EBay tool and aside schlepping the car back and forth I won't have to lift a finger.
    Tentatively scheduled for tomorrow.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaap View Post
    Why are those time-serts so crazy expensive?
    Are they THAT much better than a helicoil?
    Yes. They are really high quality. I Time-Serted an M52 block when rebuilding my friend's GF's engine. I was very impressed with the quality and she'll never have to worry about the bolts pulling out of the heads, that's for sure.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)