Thread: Price negotiation during the pandemic

My Cars
    n/a

Price negotiation during the pandemic

As we all know, the supply chain is broken and cars are hard to get. Other dealerships like Audi are asking for above MSRP on their cars. What kind of room to negotiate do BMW dealers have these days?

I live in the states and I'm planning to custom order an X3 M40i, so I'm not taking a car off the lot. I can pay cash or finance. Is it reasonable to target the invoice price?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by zanjsd View Post
    As we all know, the supply chain is broken and cars are hard to get. Other dealerships like Audi are asking for above MSRP on their cars. What kind of room to negotiate do BMW dealers have these days?

I live in the states and I'm planning to custom order an X3 M40i, so I'm not taking a car off the lot. I can pay cash or finance. Is it reasonable to target the invoice price?
    No! The factories can't build enough cars to satisfy existing demand, dealers are scrounging for used cars to sell and you figure placing an order for a car that several other people will be wanting at full price or more might put you in a position to negotiate a deal at invoice?

You might manage to place an order for a car to be built but don't be surprised if (conditions remaining as they are) "your" car gets sold out from under you to a higher paying customer once it lands.
    A car dealer will NEVER waste an opportunity to gouge, especially when demand exceeds supply. As far as the pandemic goes; Why let a perfectly good crisis go to waste?
    Sounds like you want a new car. I feel terrible for those who need to buy one these days.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-20-2022 at 05:45 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    You might manage to place an order for a car to be built but don't be surprised if (conditions remaining as they are) "your" car gets sold out from under you to a higher paying customer once it lands.
    If we agreed on the price at order time and I made a (non-refundable) deposit, how could they sell the car to someone else once it arrives, or charge me a higher price?

I do have a nice trade-in that I could maybe push on the value of.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by zanjsd View Post
    If we agreed on the price at order time and I made a (non-refundable) deposit, how could they sell the car to someone else once it arrives, or charge me a higher price?

I do have a nice trade-in that I could maybe push on the value of.
    You are not dealing with your favorite uncle here, they'll F you in a heartbeat. A million different excuse can be made and your deposit refunded if you can't be steered into something else.
    Bad time to buy a car.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    you can buy a new Beemer below MSRP I have one on order right now. Car dealers do not have enough product, and many can or will pull a fast one but get your deal in writing understand the terms . its not impossible but you need patience i am about a month away from delivery on a car ordered in August . I expect the transaction to go smoothly because i have picked an honorable dealer group to work with . Ross is in the NW suburbs of Chicago he might have to look a little harder to find a square deal.

My Cars
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    I expect the transaction to go smoothly because i have picked an honorable dealer group to work with
    That was my thought as well, what BMW dealer would ruin their reputation to temporarily make a few thousand more?

How much below MSRP did you get it for?

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    zanjsd between 4 and 5% from what i can tell

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    If you order the car from a reputable dealer, they won't shouldn't sell the car out from under you whenever it arrives. Since you are placing a deposit and custom ordering the car, the dealership isn't spending any of their money to acquire the vehicle so sometimes they will cut you a break by a small amount like mazzy said. Not all dealers will, but they should because it is an easy process for them. Basically all they have to do is enter whatever you want on the car and then you wait for several months until it arrives. The key is your trade in, they may want it now, which if it is your primary car, you won't have a car to drive until the other one arrives. I doubt they will agree on a trade in price now, and honor the same value 6 or 9 months from now whenever your X3 arrives. It never hurts to talk to more than one dealership. If the want over MSRP, try someone else. High volume dealerships usually are willing to give up a few thousand dollars to have a repeat customer. I live in Tennessee and Grayson BMW in Knoxville and the dealership in Brentwood usually do business this way. You can alway fly to pick up the car or have it delivered to your door if you don't order it from a local dealership.

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    I'm not boasting and others may negotiate a deal better than me but the price quoted for my trade in [2013 m37x Infiniti] they claim will be honored at the time of delivery of new car ordered in August delivered in Feb. or March . Other dealers i talked to would request my Infiniti right now to set a trade in this dealer did not.