Thread: '98 328i axle compressed lengths???

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Vert

'98 328i axle compressed lengths???

In need of a rear axle replacement. As a teenager I dont have the budget for rebuilt bmw so i am going with o o o oreilly's option (Import Direct). when I input my specs, 4 options come up for axles, compressed length; 26 1/4 in, 24 1/8 in, 24 5/16, and 26 3/8in.
    Now I dont understand how the difference in length will affect anything, but the length of the axle has to affect SOMETHING. Does anyone have an explanation and maybe a reccomendation before I make a bad decision?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    O'Reilly axles are shit on these cars. They don't fit right. Would not recommend the import direct/precision garbage. Tbh I wouldn't recommend anything oreilly sells for these cars, and I used to work at oreilly. For domestic cars, their parts are alright. But nothing they sell for bmw is worth buying.

Your best bet is either rebuilding your own axles if you have the skills (or don't mind learning the skills) or get a used genuine bmw axle that's in good shape

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 01-19-2022 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Vert
    I dont mind learning the skills to rebuild, what would you estimate on the cost of tools/ parts? Have 3 e36s within the family so it may not be a bad idea, however i am pretty budgeted.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    O'Reilly axles are shit on these cars. They don't fit right. Would not recommend the import direct/precision garbage. Tbh I wouldn't recommend anything oreilly sells for these cars, and I used to work at oreilly. For domestic cars, their parts are alright. But nothing they sell for bmw is worth buying.

Your best bet is either rebuilding your own axles if you have the skills (or don't mind learning the skills) or get a used genuine bmw axle that's in good shape

What's to rebuild on our axles? If the joint has play I don't see much that can be done. Some of the play comes from the worn outside big 'pot'. Don't see what one could do about that.
    Last edited by importbanana; 01-19-2022 at 11:32 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Here's the link to the outer CV rebuild, and that article has the link to the inner CV as well. This is for an M3 axle but the procedure will be the same on non-M

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Joint-Rebuild

It's mostly a very thorough cleaning and grease repack. If there is hard physical damage then without custom fabrication its probably not repairable.

Last edited by XnWarden; 01-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.

My Cars
    e36
    You're right, wouldn't call that rebuilding. So it means replacement axles or nothing depending on what's wrong with yours. I'd buy used BMW OEM. Better than 99% of new crap out there.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    What's to rebuild on our axles? If the joint has play I don't see much that can be done. Some of the play comes from the worn outside big 'pot'. Don't see what one could do about that.
    yeah note that Ive driven on the axle for some time and it is completely gone... stopped driving it when it started to sound like popcorn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    You're right, wouldn't call that rebuilding. So it means replacement axles or nothing depending on what's wrong with yours. I'd buy used BMW OEM. Better than 99% of new crap out there.
    Due to my money situation im going to have to go with the shitty stuff, They have returns so once i can afford 2 rebuilt axles ill go with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Here's the link to the outer CV rebuild, and that article has the link to the inner CV as well. This is for an M3 axle but the procedure will be the same on non-M

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Joint-Rebuild

It's mostly a very thorough cleaning and grease repack. If there is hard physical damage then without custom fabrication its probably not repairable.

Going to look into this for my other cars however ill need to inspect the joint to see if its repairable.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I never knew there were 4 different axle options for an E36 328i.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Find a DIY junkyard, ideally that has a searchable database like Pick and Pull, look for a 328i, and pull it. Since they rarely fail the odds are it will be good, be cheaper and you'll know it will fit. How do you know what will fit? Use Realoem.com. Poke around in there for a while and it will tell you exactly what cars what part came on, and there was only one half shaft for a 98 328i. It might take a little to get used to realoem, but it's an invaluable resource. And I too would trust used far more than chain auto parts store.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you do get a used one, consider repacking the joints. The original grease is pretty much soup at this point. It’s not fun or clean, but adds life and is much easier than disassembling the joints (getting the balls back in can be frustrating until you have done the job a few times and you have to be careful to avoid damaging the friction welded retainer when you remove it so it can be reinstalled).

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You may get away with simply cleaning and repacking what you have.

A number of years back I needed some driveshaft work so found a local place to do it. The owner and I spoke a while and he mentioned he was about ready to retire.
    It was a small two man shop that I discussed buying. Given the cook's tour CV axle rebuilding was demonstrated, it was clear that very few new parts are used.
    Once everything was dismantled and cleaned it was visually inspected and inventoried. The "re-man" pretty much consists of assembling the best looking used bits from who knows how many cores(so not worn in together) with fresh grease, a new boot and a shot of paint. I suspect this is standard procedure industry wide.

The fact that the new Chinesium shafts often undersell even these "re-mans" with such a low refurbishing cost scares me.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-24-2022 at 08:07 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1994 325i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by saucey View Post
    In need of a rear axle replacement. As a teenager I dont have the budget for rebuilt bmw so i am going with o o o oreilly's option (Import Direct). when I input my specs, 4 options come up for axles, compressed length; 26 1/4 in, 24 1/8 in, 24 5/16, and 26 3/8in.
    Now I dont understand how the difference in length will affect anything, but the length of the axle has to affect SOMETHING. Does anyone have an explanation and maybe a reccomendation before I make a bad decision?
    Ive replaced my axles with replacements from Advance Auto with no issues. Probably Carquest brand or something.
    Only had one break in the inside after a week (not sure if my fault not using the whole grease packet but seemed like overkill) bI think they honored it and gave me a replacement.
    I think the site shows wether its for a sedan, coupe, or convertible though I thought it only matters if you have a 4 cyl or 6 cyl changing the diff size