Thread: FX stage 2 + LW flywheel orientation

My Cars
    94 325is coupe

FX stage 2 + LW flywheel orientation

anyone know which way the clutch plate goes in? there seems to be big confusion about this on the forums. pls help.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I also read contradicting opinions on this. (stock 98 S52 M Roadster, JB flywheel, E34M5 disc, stock PP) There was talk about the clutch disc not being symmetrical, but mine sure seemed to be. I measured to find that the disc would probably go in the "correct" way (hub towards the trans), but just barely. As I remember, it was the sleeve that the t/o bearing rides on that could have been a problem. I put it in "backwards" (hub towards the engine), and it has worked just fine.

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    was thinking to do the same, seen a few other recommending that way. the guy at gripforceclutch said "We highly recommend having the kit installed at a shop. The disc hub faces the pressure plate.".

im so confused now lol.

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    im in touch with gripforce now and they says "Your using our single mass flywheel, so you can install it either way."

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    I installed the same clutch in my car ago. The instructions say to install it with the Hub facing the pressure plate. I had no problems with the getrag transmission. When I blew that transmission apart I upgraded to the ZF. Soon as I start at the car I heard it squealing noise and the engine stopped. The center of the clutch Hub spun welded itself to the throwout bearing guide tube. After breaking a hole in the transmission housing, so I could unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel to get it apart, buying another transmission, ordering another clutch, rip Force emailed me back telling me that since I'm using a single Mass flywheel that the sprung Hub section of the clutch should be facing the engine.
    After carefully measuring everything , there is 5 mm of interference between the center section of the Hub on the clutch and the throwout bearing guide tube. With the spring facing the pressure plate.
    Originally I cut 5 mm off of the throwout bearing guide tube and it worked just fine.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    that really sucks, im defo gonna put the hub towards the engine now. luckily i didnt start the car.

My Cars
    e36
    Any clutch plate that doesn't have it's correct orientation printed on the part itself belongs in the trash can.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    Any clutch plate that doesn't have it's correct orientation printed on the part itself belongs in the trash can.
    But..... "correct" for the stock flywheel may not be "correct" for the lightweight flywheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally I cut 5 mm off of the throwout bearing guide tube and it worked just fine.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I considered cutting some off of that tube, but finally decided not to. Seems like that could have worked, but none of the threads I read mentioned it as an option. Also, I couldn't see a reason not to mount the disc backwards.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    But..... "correct" for the stock flywheel may not be "correct" for the lightweight flywheel.
    Then they must print that on the part as well, or at least send a document that explains it all.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Has anyone found it weird that the most common misinstalled thing is the clutch disk?

No one ever puts the slave back in and checks the working clutch right after bolting up the trans on just 2 or 3 trans bolts? Why not?

My Cars
    e36
    Because you usually have dirty hands at that point and don't feel like lowering the car and banging your door on the lift post. And then check what? You'd have to have the engine running and shift gears and you can't do that with 2 or 3 bolts in.

That's why the normal procedure is to read what the clutch disc says and install accordingly.
    Last edited by importbanana; 01-20-2022 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Has anyone found it weird that the most common misinstalled thing is the clutch disk?
    I'm not sure that's true, but it obviously is a problem. I think this answer is in this thread. Some say to just do what the disc says, which might be catastrophic, like in Greendays' post (and I measured/calculated might have been bad for mine too). Some say mount the disc backwards, like the flywheel manufacturer says, but one has to be careful of instructions from aftermarket people. There are combinations that are known to work. One problem might come when people read good advise/experience, then use different parts, hoping the logic will still apply. I suggest read up and do what has been done successfully. Also, measure everything. Here are some relevant threads: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tch+pedal+stop , https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eight-Flywheel , https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ecommendations . ......

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post

No one ever puts the slave back in and checks the working clutch right after bolting up the trans on just 2 or 3 trans bolts? Why not?
    Because unfortunately this wouldn't prove anything. Pressure plate fingers will be in the same location, and the throwout bearing and slave cylinder will also be in the same location. Whether or not you cut the end of the tube or flip the disc around the other way.
    When mine locked up , I could still push the clutch in and restart the engine. As soon as I let the clutch out in neutral it would lock up the engine. The flywheel and pressure plate would spin with no problem. The clutch disc itself would be welded to the throwout bearing guide tube.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    And my setup was a complete kit with flywheel , bolts and everything.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by turbokid15 View Post
    im in touch with gripforce now and they says "Your using our single mass flywheel, so you can install it either way."

Their single mass flywheel may be thinner than the JB. They might be right, but I wouldn't just trust their word. I would measure everything... twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday694 View Post
    And my setup was a complete kit with flywheel , bolts and everything.

What kit was it, from who?

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Gripforce clutch. FX Stage 3. Copper ceramic Puck disc. Sprung hub