Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel squeak FIXED... Writeup w/pics

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Hmm, mine does this but only when it's cold out and the car hasn't warmed up yet, or if I turn the steering wheel really far. Definitely annoying though, will be fixing this soon.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Thanks, great post!

My Cars
    BMW M3

Steering wheel squeak

Excellent writeup....But!! I did all of the above and it still squeaks. Could it be because I have a 99 M3 E36? I believe the set up is a little bit different. Please help!

My Cars
    1996 328is
    I did this twice, the first time it didn't work but the second time i really saturated everything and I think i fixed it. I just used White lithium grease. you have to make sure you are hitting the right spot... It's all the way up kind of behind the brake booster

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Lotsa reading to do today

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2011 M3 E90, Honda CR-Z
    I did this also on my 99 m3 and still have the eek eek. It is not that bad, maybe I'll try again when I decide to change my steering wheel.
    2011 M3 Sedan:
    DCT, AW, Black/Fox Red Interior, ZCP Performance package, M3 Performance Exhaust.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    I don't know if the 1999 has a different setup, but I will reiterate that white lithium grease is probably not the best option for the lower steering spindle. You need something that will penetrate the joints. White lithium grease in my experience is too thick... If you still have squeak issues try Tri-Flow or something along those lines, and follow the instructions to the letter. I posted this writeup over three years ago and my initial application of Tri-Flow is still working great... No squeak.

YMMV.

My Cars
    BMW 1991 320 E36 4dr, Hyundai Tucson crdi
    Awesome writup!
    Going to get some motorcycle chain lube tomorrow and try.
    My '91 320 I bought used couple weeks ago is squeaking a bit.

My Cars
    06 Speed 6 // 93 330is
    Is the bearing accessible from atop the engine bay?
    All men's souls are immortal but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine. -Socrates
    Wake up determined, sleep satisfied. -George Lorimer

My Cars
    120d, 97' 323i track car
    i'm more pissed off now than i was before i lubed the lower bearing. i have a rhd car, half a can of old lube its 8.00 at night in the pitch black and i just got rid of that fcukin annoying squeek that i lived with for the last four years. it took me like a minute and a half, i cant believe i hadnt even looked in the diy section to try and fix this before, what a dick!!!!!!!!!!!! grr, at least its gone and the steering's reaallly smooth.
    Previous chariots:cosmos schwarz 95' M3 & 318ti.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos schwarz View Post
    i'm more pissed off now than i was before i lubed the lower bearing. i have a rhd car, half a can of old lube its 8.00 at night in the pitch black and i just got rid of that fcukin annoying squeek that i lived with for the last four years. it took me like a minute and a half, i cant believe i hadnt even looked in the diy section to try and fix this before, what a dick!!!!!!!!!!!! grr, at least its gone and the steering's reaallly smooth.
    Hmm, thanks would have been nice.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    120d, 97' 323i track car
    sorry, not braggin'. i am genuinely mad at myself,.
    Previous chariots:cosmos schwarz 95' M3 & 318ti.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    I've tried this fix b4 and yes it does work, but the squeek comes back. Then do it again and it goes away but then it comes back. Usually when it's cold. Once it comes back it stays and the whole cycle repeats itself. I've used WD-40, Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant and a whole host of other super penetrating lubes and same old story.

I don't know if this is a 'FIX'. More like band aid solution. After the fifth time, I give up...It's annoying, but jacking up my ride and doing this crazy straw thing every couple of months and smelling like petroleum products afterwards is even more annoying.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    I've tried this fix b4 and yes it does work, but the squeek comes back. Then do it again and it goes away but then it comes back. Usually when it's cold. Once it comes back it stays and the whole cycle repeats itself. I've used WD-40, Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant and a whole host of other super penetrating lubes and same old story.

I don't know if this is a 'FIX'. More like band aid solution. After the fifth time, I give up...It's annoying, but jacking up my ride and doing this crazy straw thing every couple of months and smelling like petroleum products afterwards is even more annoying.
    That may be true in Canada; I live on the coast of California so I have no idea how cold weather factors in. YMMV.

All I know is that in my case, one application has been working fine for several years now. I really didn't expect it to last this long; when I first wrote this I figured it would be more of a regular maintenance sort of thing. But so far, so good... If anything changes I will update the thread.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Tried this out a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. However, I learned that you don't have do this from under the car. If you know exactly what to aim for it is easier to do it from above the engine-gravity is on your side. If you are a novice like me, you may need to get under the car anyway as it is easier to figure out where the bearing is that you're lubricating. But it is cleaner and simpler to actually lubricate the bearing when you are looking down on it.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveayam View Post
    Tried this out a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. However, I learned that you don't have do this from under the car. If you know exactly what to aim for it is easier to do it from above the engine-gravity is on your side. If you are a novice like me, you may need to get under the car anyway as it is easier to figure out where the bearing is that you're lubricating. But it is cleaner and simpler to actually lubricate the bearing when you are looking down on it.
    You want easy? As mentioned earlier in this thread, the easiest way is to drill a small hole in the steering column tube under the dash, and then spray a liberal amount of silicone spray down it. Takes about 15 minutes and you don't have to get under the car.
    Lars

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 318is Coupe Avus Blue
    great write up...my prob solved

My Cars
    97 328i
    I'm about to do this but I just want to add something: I have the 10 oclock at slow speed squeak. There is a small plastic square on the left side of the steeringwheel, you can only get to it if you open the plastic steering wheel cover. I think its the slipring b/c its right on the back of the wheel. When I slightly hold it away from the wheel and turn it there is no squeak. Let it go and turn then the squeak is there again. What can I do if the lower bearing fix doesn't change this squeak?

My Cars
    99 M3
    I actually had really heavy steering with tight spots, no squeaks. Just bought the car 2 months ago. It was so bad, I needed both hands to bring the car back to straight after a turn. Sprayed the U joint from under the hood with penetrating oil and then Tri-Flo and that did the trick for me. Such an easy fix, and it feels like a new car! I can now drive my car with one hand if I need to. Thanks for the info!

My Cars
    2000 323i 5spd Wagon
    Great write up!

Yep, I was able to hit the bearing fromthe top and rely on gravity as mentioned earlier. I just added a few more straws and and a flashlight, BAM! No more squeeks for me!
    323i 5spd Wagon, bone stock (for now)

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Did you have to disassemble or remove anything to hit it from the top?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Had a rubbing sound (sometimes even a clicking sound) that came right from the steering wheel. So I thought. Turns out the noise went away when I sprayed the lower bearing with Tri-Flow. I did all the work from up top and didn't take off a thing. I used a 3' piece of gas line to direct the flow of the lube to the spot I needed. The inside diameter of the gas line was about the same size as the straw for the spray lube. Thanks for the great advice.
    Last edited by wavewuver; 03-20-2008 at 09:19 PM.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Hmmm... sounds like we actually have 2 to 3 different type of steering column squeaks...

1. issue IN the steering wheel (fixed by pulling the steering wheel)

2. issue in the steering column at firewall at spring level - fix by spraying up above the spring OR inside of car and drilling into steering column cover to lub the shaft from the inside.

3. the u-joint in the steering shaft in the engine bay.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    I was able to hit the steering spindle as pictured a couple pages ago from above. Used a can of Tri-flow with the straw it came w/ plus one party straw taped onto the end. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my squeak. I guess the mechanic was right, gonna have to pull the steering wheel and try the slip ring (?).

My Cars
    2002 530i, 2005 530i

Steering Wheel Squeak '05 530i??

I have tried Tri-Flow and white lithium AND motorcycle bike chain oil on what I think is the right place, but still squeaking....extremely annoying! Before I found this DIY fix, I had the dealership replace the slip ring so that shouldn't be the culprit. My question is on the '05, you cannot access anything under the car, it has a "cover" on the bottom of the car that basically seals off access from under the car. I've tried accessing the steering column from under the hood, but not sure if I'm aiming in the right place. Has anyone tried this on an 05 model or later? Does anyone know where the best place to aim is under the hood on an 05 model?? thanks.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast