Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel squeak FIXED... Writeup w/pics

My Cars
    95' 325is
    thank you, home depot was right next to walmart too!!!!!! psssh, ok i'll drive down there and pick myself up a can

thanks again

My Cars
    95' 325is
    ok, so i went to home depot and they didnt have it either!!!!

I found a small bycicle shop and they sold me a can for 9 dollars!!! the guy was like, "yeah with gas prices and all" haha

so anyway....

I drilled a very small hole in the steering column about two inches above the firewall using a 14v cordless on screwdriver mode as not to drill it too fast, and then squrted half of the can down there. i also sprayed all the pivots on the pedals.

all squeeks have gone and my steering feels smoother and small turns but still feels heavy on the bigger turns, maybe thats something else i need to look into. power steering maybe...

anyway, happy for the exsistance of this thread, thank you

My Cars
    528IS, F150

Mine too

Great posting, thanks

Just got my 328is this weekend, and wouldn't you know, 50 miles out of the dealer and the "squeaking steering wheel" showed up.

I tried the bottom bearing lubrication you suggested, and that seems to have gotten most of it. I used Sea Foam's "Deep Creep" penetrating and lubricating oil. It shoots like a rocket right out of the straw that came with the can, and I was able to soak it enough I guess, just by spraying the hell out of it. I don't think the "penetrating" oil has enough lubrication properties to make this last for long though, I think I'll re and re those bearings some day soon.

I'm new to BMW, I expected better engineering.....

Arizona, just this side of the wrong side of every
    My Cars
    '96 M3, 88 325i Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by 97528is
    I'm new to BMW, I expected better engineering.....
    WHAAAA!!!

Only 50 miles and you're already complaining about the engineering of the car?

TAKE THE CAR BACK.

mods:|ssk/dssr|pullys|light fly|empeg|cai|bbs RKII|euro rotors w/minitex pads|Kumho MX Ecsta|Stainless Lines|uuc tme|rear strut enforcers|jtd underpanel|rubber chicken|

My Cars
    95 m3
    I tried all of this today, and no matter how much I tried I just could not get the steering wheel's bearings to stop squeaking. I tried 3 different lubricants, every nook and cranny, and it still squeaks. One benefit though, is that it is much easier to turn.
    WTB: Reactive Armour Door Mouldings.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by liigod
    I tried all of this today, and no matter how much I tried I just could not get the steering wheel's bearings to stop squeaking. I tried 3 different lubricants, every nook and cranny, and it still squeaks. One benefit though, is that it is much easier to turn.
    If you followed the directions and didn't cut any corners, then I would say your squeak is coming from something other than the steering wheel / bearing assemblies. Properly lubed, they will not squeak.

Could be time to grab a stethoscope and start checking other possibilities. But make sure you followed the directions... Lots of people seem to think, "Oh, I don't want to go buy a penetrating lubricant, I'll just use what I have in my garage," and of course it doesn't work. Or instead of directly lubricating the bearing they drill a hole at the top of the steering shaft and just sort of hope the lube finds its way down to the right place.

IMO, shortcuts = bad.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Great writeup, this realy worked!!

My Cars
    90' 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrokloss
    Tri-flow is great stuff, and not necessarily specific to auto applications. My local hardware stores all carry it. Most bike shops stock it as it makes a great bicycle chain lube. I believe Walmart carries it as well.

I sure hope Walmart has got it....I will be lub'in mine tomorow....how do

you know/what do you look for on the back of any grease/penetrating

lubricant that will tell you if the stuff is copper based or not?

My Cars
    Single speed Schwin
    If you have a 99, you don't need to lube the slip ring. The 3-spoke wheel's slip ring has an updated design with an all plastic back and a ribbon connector. There's no metal contact ring (which is what needs the lube).
    Last edited by shogun; 12-02-2020 at 02:22 AM.

My Cars
    90' 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by maq
    If you have a 99, you don't need to lube the slip ring. The 3-spoke wheel's slip ring has an updated design with an all plastic back and a ribbon connector. There's no metal contact ring (which is what needs the lube).
    I was going to try and lube the bottom bearing end that sits right on the fire wall behind the brake booster......

what are you implying I do then.....with my 99?

is the slip ring that is updated in the 99 visible from the engine bay or underneath.....

My Cars
    Single speed Schwin
    Just soak the lower bearing in the engine bay. The slip ring is right behind your steering wheel. Personally I don't think the 3-spoke wheel's slip ring needs lubrication. If anyone insists on lubing it, any lube would do since it's plastic.

My Cars
    90' 325is
    right. I was just gonna lube the lower/bottom bearing....easiest to do.....but now how can you tell if the lube is copper based or not?

I assume that chain lube, bike lube, or tri flow is copper based

My Cars
    Single speed Schwin
    The bearing doesn't have to be lubed with a copper based lubricant. Just use Tri-Flow, which actually IS a chain lube.

My Cars
    90' 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by maq
    The bearing doesn't have to be lubed with a copper based lubricant. Just use Tri-Flow, which actually IS a chain lube.
    I hope they got it at Walmart....I have already checked with Fairfax Auto Parts and they said "aint never heard of it"

I need to find a bike shop perhaps

My Cars
    '96 E36 325 TDS SE Auto

Talking A big thank you...

I just found this thread thanks to the wonders of Google, so I thought it only right that I register to say thank you.

I've spent several hours today with the steering wheel off trying to locate a funny twanging sound when I turn the wheel. I originally thought it must be a spring holding the horn contact ring brushes... Except my car is a '96 and doesn't have a contact ring at all, just a nice coil of flexy wire inside a big black plastic casing on the back of the wheel.

My steering was getting tight, at times it almost felt like the steering lock was trying to come on, and I had to spend my entire driving time with both hands clamped onto the wheel with knuckles white with pressure just in case it chose that exact moment to go tight on me...

So after seeing this thread, and the exploded diagram, I noticed the spring right down at the bottom of the column, and as I had suspected a spring all the time, but failed to find one, (cos it was hiding under the bonnet/hood) gave it a good squirting with the only spray grease I had to hand - Silkolene synthetic motorcycle chain oil - It's handy riding a bike sometimes :-)

I might have had an easier time what with my steering wheel being on the other side of the car to you guys, I could get it with the 5 inch pipe supplied with the spray grease. From what I could see on the other side of the engine bay, I doubt it would have been so easy.

I went for a test drive, and within 400 yards, the steering was smooth and light (quite scary actually) and the noise had stopped!

So a big thank you, and I now have to get used to how light the steering really is!

Steve.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    That made my day. Best post ever!

My Cars
    90' 325is
    I used some liquid wrench penetrating oil.....couldnt find anything else really...

I guess the straws I got were to thick becuase I couldnt get that straw to hold onto the bottle with all that duck/duct tape around it.

shot pretty hard from underneath the car with just the little straw it came with....I could see that the bottom bearing was soaked.

How do you guys perform step I without getting under the car.....space is SO tight....I cant seem to fit that bottle...and cant see for shit

My Cars
    328IS, 97

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    instead of a jackstand can I just use the original thing in the truck of the bmw to lift up the car?

1993 325i Alpine Sedan (Sold)
    2001 Civic Silver Coupe

My Cars
    Single speed Schwin
    Quote Originally Posted by GeNerIc BizZ View Post
    instead of a jackstand can I just use the original thing in the truck of the bmw to lift up the car?
    The short answer is no. Never work under a BMW that's only supported by the OEM jack, you could get seriously injured or even killed by doing so.

My Cars
    90' 325is

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maq View Post
    The short answer is no. Never work under a BMW that's only supported by the OEM jack, you could get seriously injured or even killed by doing so.
    Most Deff.

Just a rule of thumb.

Drive it over ramps or jack it up and place a jack stand

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    I was trying to figure out what lube to use ont he slipring, and knew I would find a writeup eventually. Cooper paste lube, perfect.

My Cars
    none
    looks like another project for me. I keep thinking that a cat is being strangled when I turn the wheel! LITHIUM GREASE OK??

My Cars
    99 Cosmos M3,2010 E90M3
    I have the 3 spoke wheel and it squeaks. I'm gonna take care of this soon. Thanks!

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    nice rides
    98 M3 sedan

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast