Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel squeak FIXED... Writeup w/pics

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    I appreciated the writeup. We took a can of CRC white lithium spray on it with 4 large non-flex straws aimed in up under the hood into the area needed lubricating and the squeak is now gone. Hopefully this will save someone else from getting under their car (as I appreciate others who said they used this method from saving me getting under there on the cold ground tonight).
    -Criticman - Sadly Bim///merless.
    '13 Honda Civic Si Sedan
    '11 Infiniti QX56
    '85 Ford F-150 5.0L V8

Formerly E36 M3, E60 535i, F25 X3 xdrive35i, E60 545i

S52 M3 Links

My Cars
    95 m3
    just bought my 328i, this will be one of the first things i do

My Cars
    97 m3
    nice writeup....thanks for the info.

My Cars
    BMW 320i
    many thanks bro., I had this squeak for year and now I fixed it after reading your post. BMW dealer advised me to change slip ring but it didn't work. Lubricartion worked for me.,so my appreciations to you.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Help!!!! i have just finished two door handle replacements on my m3 coupe, drivers door completed and works perfect. Passenger door handle works perfect execpt the dam window has comeout from the front window guide. Can anyone tell me how to get the front window back in the guide as the window is only going up half way and gets stuck by the mirror. This job has taken me 2 days so far 4hours of fiddling with the window trying to get it back in line..Does anyone now the correct way...Many thanks .....

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i

Another happy customer

Hi, I just replaced the top plastic bearing & the squeak has not gone , it has quietened a somewhat though. Then I found this thread.

EDIT: With my car being RHD (right hand drive) access was easy to the bottom end bearing of the steering spindle. I was able to point the straw of a can of 3-in-1 Silicone spray. I sprayed a good bit up there, then went for a drive to "work it in".

The result, no more squeaks!!!:
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 04-03-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding update
    1996 320iC: leather, full elec hood, hard top, auto-dim, sport, revised front grilles, rear head rests (in storage now)
    2006 630i SMG Sport: Sapphire black met, creambeige leather, SMG gearbox, 19' Style 218 alloys, heated sport seats, Sport trim, Dension iPod interface, factory Bluetooth, Xenons, Sat Nav/CCC retrofit, LM2 retrofit, Digital TV retrofit, reverse camera, Homelink/Compass mirror retrofit, etc.
    2007 M6: Sapphire Black Met, Indianapolis red leather, TV, adaptive headlights, HomeLink, HUD, Dension iPod interface, Tracker, Logic7 Top HiFi, much more ....V10
    2004 Mini Cooper S: 15% pulley, remap, r56 brake conversion, modified intake, and more!

My Cars
    Ti 99 M3 coupe, B3000
    my old 325is had it....and i kind of liked it

My Cars
    92' 325i E36
    Mine squeaks after I drift in the rain?

My Cars
    MY CAR 1999 M3 CONV.

interior squeaking

i am getting the squeaking sound from the steering wheel inside my car. what is the solution for that?

My Cars
    1997 328i/4/5 SptPkg
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrokloss View Post
    I'm told that in some cases, the plastic bearing (#2 in the diagram) can be worn out, causing grinding and/or a wobbly or loose-feeling steering wheel. So, take a good look at the bearing while you're in there. If yours looks like it's on its last legs, you might consider replacing it. (Thanks to Kevin/KTL for the info.)
    Seems mine is among the minority, as mine is experiencing the shakes when I hit potholes/cracks and shimmy'n'sway when going over speed bumps (see TopGear.com for James May's description of the Bugatti Veyron braking from it's top speed )

It's been like this since I bought it @ 98K miles (now 116K), and I dreaded taking it apart. Thanks for this invaluable DIY! I second the motion for making it Stick!

I finished the procedure using two straws and aiming it at the steering u-joint and the bearing above on the firewall. The squeak isn't gone completely (probably need to do the one inside the car AND the plastic bearing) but my steering had begun to bind up like I was losing power steering and now it's back to 100%.
    Last edited by Viking328; 07-07-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Completed the procedure.
    1997 Infinity QX4 - current
    Life-long 3er Fanatic:

97 328i 4Dr Spt Black/Tan - M3 exhaust,SPC rear arms,TMS limiter kit,K&N

94 325i Alpine White/Black - Dinan TB/chip/CF CAI,Eibach ProKitPlus,SPC rear arms,ARE Rogue,97 M3 nose
    94 325i Boston Green/Tan - Dinan chip/HF airbox,coilovers,Contours,braces
    88 325is Black/Grey - 4:10 M3 LSD,Eibach&Bilstein,Bavauto chip/wires/intake/braces,15" Moda
    96 328ic Black/Tan - My 1st BMW, I got hired at Bavauto and was hooked!

My Cars
    1991 325ix
    Add me to the list of advocates. Amazing, cost free repair to what sounded like a big time problem. My mechanic turned the wheel while I listened with the hood up and clearly the sound was coming from the lower end of the steering column and the sound was no where near as serious. The sound becomes amplified and of course sounds terrible at the wheel. It all makes perfect sense as to why a little lubrication will work.

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i

The two small hands from the top method

Thank you sir. You deserve of a lot of praises. My squeak is finally gone.

If a lady friend can help you I find the following method worked great. She has to agree to get dirty though. Gloves don't work.

With yourself under the car to give feedback she drops a small can (3 to 4 inches high) of lubricant between the engine block, and the brake fluid reservoir. She supports the can with a hand inserted from the Power steering reservoir area and pushes the button on the can with the other hand from the top of the can.

She is blind and it's a tight fit. You need to give good feedback. But when the spray hits that bearing. Man it's a beautiful sight. And it gets flooded.

And the silent ride...

My Cars
    '99 328i
    Thank you for this. Nothing makes a car sound cheaper than a squeeky steering wheel

My Cars
    '99 M3 / '92 Miata
    Could the crusty bearing thing make it sound like the wheel knocks at 1:00 sometimes?

My Cars
    99 Miata
    Thank you Bimmerforums once again .

That triflow stuff works wonders, I picked some up from a local bike shop for $5.49. My steering wasn't exactly sqeaking, but it was binding up, feeling as if power steering was cutting in and out. It was challenging to drive with one hand. Amazing what a little bicycle grease can do, steering is 100% night and day.

My Cars
    Bmw 320i E36 1995
    My steering is very stiff and will not return to centre. I had to man handle the steering back straight. Not nice to drive at all and sometimes very scary.

I first added some ZX1 Extralube into the steering fluid. I had a drop left over from my old car, in the garage, so I thought why not it can't do any harm. Its not an additive. Its more of a lubricant. This improved my steering by 30 - 40%. I didn't expect it to make that much difference, if any, but it did.

It still wasn't right. So next on my list was was a ATF fluid change in the hope that would sort the steering out.
    I have been putting the job off because of having to bleed the sytem on my own.

Well this afternoon I came accross this thread and had ago with some cheap lubricating spray just to see if it would make a difference and WOW! what a difference. The car is so much better its like driving a new car. The steering returns to centre.
    It put a big smile back on my face on the drive home, that's for sure. : )

I have just got some Silkolene chain lube pray, so I'll let you all know in a few days if its cured it
    Last edited by dx90; 06-27-2009 at 03:07 PM.

My Cars
    99 bmw323conv
    my car only has 62000 mi on it but the steering suddenly stiffened up with no on center feel., car did not want to make left turns. I tried turning lock to lock to get air out of PS system this helped somewhat...I bought a can of liquid wrench for CHAINS. and squired from TOP...so easy...problem GONE. thanx for the write up
    stashed in garage: 70TorinoGT/CJ 300hp conv
    68 Olds 442 conv 455ci.385hp
    68 GTO conv 400RA 1 366hp
    68 Coronet RT 440sixpack 430hp
    DD 01 Sierra step side 270hp Vortec

My Cars
    Bmw 320i E36 1995
    Just an update. My car has 129000 mile on here. I used some Silkolene chain lube pray last night and that improved things until this morning. The steering has stiffened back up slightly. It seems that Silkolene chain lube pray goes on thin and thickens over night, making my steering stiffer again. Not as bad but noticeable. Just thought I would let everyone know.

Does Tri-Flow lube spray thicken in the same way?

Where can I buy some Tri-Flow here in the UK?
    Last edited by dx90; 06-28-2009 at 06:46 AM.

My Cars
    99 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by dx90 View Post
    Where can I buy some Tri-Flow here in the UK?
    I'm in the US, but I found the stuff at a bicycle repair shop, as it seems to be marketed as a chain lubricant.

My Cars
    Bmw 320i E36 1995
    I found some at last. Expensive stuff. £28 including shipping for a 500ml spray can.
    I hope it's as good as people say it is.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Ouch! That is expensive. Here in the states it is probably less than 1/6th of that cost. Still, it's worth it to kill the squeak and restore the steering feel.Any light-viscosity penetrating lubricant should work though.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-02-2020 at 02:25 AM.

My Cars
    Bmw 320i E36 1995
    That's what I thought and the can should last a long time.
    I did use some ZX1 lube spray but it doesn't have the Teflon in it like the Tri-flow stuff. So I don't think it would last too long.
    Don't have the squeak thing, just the stiff steering that would not self centre. I still can't get over the difference its made to the steering. I think everyone should lube it as a matter of coarse.
    Last edited by dx90; 06-30-2009 at 02:28 AM.

My Cars
    Bmw 320i E36 1995
    Just an update. My spray can of Tri-Flow arrived and I did the sparing onto to the joints and lower bearing yesterday morning. By this afternoon it must have worked its way into the joints good and proper. The steering is the best its ever been and I can confirm that the Tri-Flow industrial lube worked best by far.
    It was extremely expensive to buy but well worth every penny. The car feels totally different to drive and it is fun to drive now.

My Cars
    986 - C4S - 318TI
    finally got around to doing this, worked like a charm

My Cars
    328i & 320d
    I had the grinding noise and sent the car into a power steering shop.(I'm in South Africa) Came back no sqeak, no hooter and air bag light stays on. Power steering clown says its not his problem. Any suggestions ? Other than shooting him.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast