Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Steering wheel squeak FIXED... Writeup w/pics

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    330 E46 I could be wrong, but my e46 seemed to have a different steering coupling, I don't think this fix will work on it. Personally, I plan on hitting all three spots. 1. The lower engine bay location, 2. Behind the knee bolster. 3. At the steering wheel ( while I install a new Momo wheel) 94 325i vert.

My Cars
    1997 E36 318IS
    Used this DIY at the weekend and it worked a treat. Thanks OP.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Sedan
    Wanted to throw something else out there as well.

So, I've been nailing that upper bearing with chain grease to no avail. It helped a bit, but never really went away. Steering feel got better for sure. If you look at how the bearing is assembled, theere is a seal toward the bottom of the bearing, but not at the top (this open part is covered by a the sleeve), so that is the reason why the drilling a hole idea worked early on in the thread. I'm also wondering if that spring is part of the cause as well when it gets rusty…..

I decided to take a different rout and use PB blast. Since this is not a grease, I'm not 100% sure how long the sqeak will be gone, but I'll let you know if it comes back

Anyway, after hitting it with PB blast, I check the wheel again. Still a slight squeak. I remember on another thread someone mentioned the joints as well, so I sprayed that upper U-joint and it actually cleaned it up as well, not just lubricated. Back in the car I went, the noise was gone.

Anyway, all of that to say, I wonder if this has more to do with just simply being dirty/slightly rusty rather than lack of grease/lubricant, not only on the bearing, but on the joint as well...

I'll keep everyone updated on when the squeak comes back because I imagine it will, but it's something that might be worth mentioning if it hasn't been mentioned before.
    Last edited by suaveflooder; 12-18-2014 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    BMW e87 120D Sport
    Quick update from me too guys. I have a e87 and with the same issue, but was worried about removing the airbag. I was 100% sure the squeak was coming from top of the steering spindle. So I tried spraying some wd40 (as it fixed everything of course) in the gab between the steering wheel and the plastic behind it. Then moved the wheel up and down, left and right and the squeak disappeared. It has been a week and still no sign of it hope that helps some of the more nervous DIY'ERS; )

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep/Ducati
    Popping in to say this worked perfectly. Thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW 316i E36
    Thank you man I never thought this would work as it was grinding and felt as if its coming from the steering wheel lock housing. I used Q20 on the lower bearing and my steering turns like its new.

My Cars
    2006 330ic, 2 e36 before
    Delete post
    Last edited by mike318; 09-11-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: clarify
    1998 328ic

My Cars
    '98 328is, '07 X3
    can someone re-upload the pics?

My Cars
    F30
    Same issue here...Please upload the pics again..

My Cars
    bmw 318i
    fter I changed the CCV valve and the oil pan gasket, and after driving an hour, the steeringwheel start to squeak. In the start the sound come from the steeringwheel, but after 10-20 minutes the sound is louder and comes from under the car.

With the engine cold, first thing in the morning, there is no squeak noise.

Last edited by radduu; 04-22-2017 at 09:41 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    By way of an update I solved my steering shaft squeak and stiffness. Although I replaced the upper plastic bearing I discovered that by removing the plastic bush part of the bearing the ball race is accessable for easy regreasing. I also lubricated the clock spring on the back of the steering wheel plus the middle and lower bearings. I also removed the universal joint coupling down by the steering box and discovered that it was partly seized, as expected. I soaked the joint over night in engine oil and worked the joint until it became free the reinstalled . No more sqeaking and steering is so much easier.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    You're the BEST!!! Thank you so much for such an amazing write up! I only wish I read it before I had the dealer replace the clock spring (slip ring) TWICE (once I paid, the second was on warranty - but it still did not fix the problem). They even tried to lubricate inside the steering column (and around the clock spring). still the same exact noise persisted!

Today, after reading your thread, I peaked at the lower spindle bearing (right out of the firebox), and I was very pleased to see it looking rusty!!! So at 9:15 pm, I picked up chain lube from AutoZone (Teflon based - they did not have tri-flow and I was too impatient for a prime amazon order) - $5 later and three straws from old duster bottles duck taped and slightly bent to reach and a couple of good sprays up the rusty spindle (without getting under the car - just from under the hood with a good flashlight), I was able to break that rust up and bam: so at 10 pm tonight (actually took just 5 min): no more noise! steers like a charm!!!!

(I loved your write up but I was not sure why I could not see the photos! It was so well written that I knew where to look under the hood)

My Cars
    96 BMW 318i convertible
    Excellent write up. Thank you.

My Cars
    328i
    Anyone has the picture of lower bearing of steering shaft to lubricate? The original pictures are gone and I don't know where to spray under the car.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328is/E39-540i M
    Where exactly did you spray? I’m
    Having the exact same issue. Like a spring clicking noise when turning the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Where Exatcly did you spray at? I have the exact same noise going on, like a spring clicking. Right behind the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

@pastrysnack where Exatcly Did you spray at ? I’m having this exact same issue. Sounds like a spring clicking over and over when turning

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    read the complete thread from start to end
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e30
    Sorry guys, I'm a complete idiot. What am I missing here? I have a 91 325i with a Z3 rack. The area for the bottom bearing we're all talking about is covered by a rubber boot (very tough to remove by reaching down from the top). I was able to peel it back and shoot lubricant in there through the wire insulation straw extender method. No luck on solving the squeak! I haven't seen other posts talk about this rubber cover over the bearing. Any help would be appreciated!

Other funny thing, the squeak is only when the car is cold. Once warm, no squeak.

UPDATE: Slept on it overnight and reviewed some REALOEM exploded diagrams. I sprayed the other end of the boot, including pushing the boot back to reveal more of the bearing. All fixed! Small hands, although not as exciting wife, are great for DIY car repair. I was able to feed the Tri Flow can down into the engine bay and shoot directly onto the bearing with the standard straw.
    Last edited by Laguna e30; 12-12-2021 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Updated!

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36M3 Sedan
    Just sprayed the lower spindle bearing yesterday and it fixed my steering squeak and binding issues. I had let this go for far too long not realizing it was such an easy fix! Thank you for the great info and write up!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415