Thread: My E34 headliner is sagging. Does the headliner color have to match the interior ?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 540i

My E34 headliner is sagging. Does the headliner color have to match the interior ?

My headliner in my E34 540i is sagging at the rear. Took it to a car upholsterer and he said the best option would to replace it but he would try to glue it back but wasn't sure how good that would be since he did not know if he could find the material.

Looking in this site posts I found this place which sells replacement headliner fabric

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...eadliner-e-34/

The color choices are only black, beige or grey which suggests they are the only colors that BMW offered. My car has a tan leather interior which suggests that I need the beige one? Is that correct?

bmw interior.JPG

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by lchiu26 View Post
    My headliner in my E34 540i is sagging at the rear. Took it to a car upholsterer and he said the best option would to replace it but he would try to glue it back but wasn't sure how good that would be since he did not know if he could find the material.

Looking in this site posts I found this place which sells replacement headliner fabric

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...eadliner-e-34/

The color choices are only black, beige or grey which suggests they are the only colors that BMW offered. My car has a tan leather interior which suggests that I need the beige one? Is that correct?

bmw interior.JPG
    If you want oem then go with beige, you could also go to a fabric store and go for whatever design you wish

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I did it DIY, not too complicated, pics on my website below.
    Here DIY for the E34 http://wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/bmw/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 540i
    Thanks for the reply. I might go beige since I don't want to have a non-matching colour for the headliner.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i 5 speed
    Your interior looks like mine. Mine is called Pergament/parchment. Headliner Express has Pergament for sale the last time I looked. You have to look hard to find it on their website.
    cheers, George

My Cars
    1994 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by chislern View Post
    Your interior looks like mine. Mine is called Pergament/parchment. Headliner Express has Pergament for sale the last time I looked. You have to look hard to find it on their website.
    cheers, George
    I went to local car upholsterer and he managed to reglue the part that was coming off and it looks okay. But he said the long-term solution is to replace the entire headliner and he showed me a ton of swatches from which one looked pretty good. The primary issue for me is the cost - he said he was pretty cheap but still said it would cost about US$400 for the material and labour.

Somebody else posted a DIY solution in this thread but that is way above my skill level alas :-(

Just in case people say that is reallly expensive just to note I am in New Zealand, not in the US where is likely to be much more choice of people who do this.

My Cars
    E34 540ia
    Been contemplating replacing my drooping headliner, at a glance it is not that noticeable, but eventually it will need to be replaced.

Shogun has a great write up on how to do this. The colors from above link (headliner express.com) looks good, but the price quote was $300 for 4 yards of fabric, that sounds pretty pricey, I can get a close color and thickness match on a smooth felt fabric for like $2 - 5 a yard, so approximately $40 - 50 worth of overall material cost. Looks like if you take your time, it can be a weekend project.

I think the key is to match the visors grey color as they will press against the liner and the color contrast will be most noticeable there, I will also do the rear deck panel to match and should look nice once done. I don’t think it needs to be an exact match to the original factory grey as the headliner and rear deck fabric has fade over the 27 years that it has been on there, a variation of the faded grey would work.

There is also the rear light side panels and two front window pilar, so making sure the new liner color will go well with these, if not maybe have them re-wrapped would make it look consistent. Less work the better …. 🤣😂
    Last edited by E34 Lives; 01-15-2022 at 04:18 AM.