Thread: So I test-drove the X4 M40i ...

My Cars
    Acura TLX V6

So I test-drove the X4 M40i ...

Hi,
    New here, new to BMW, my car for the last couple years has been an Acura TLX V6 (which is pretty much a luxury version of a V6 Honda Accord with AWD and more sound deadening). It's really nice and reliable and surprisingly fast, similar to a 3-series to be honest, but its cargo space is lackluster, and now my family is growing, I need a bigger trunk.

I first tried some more basic SUVs. The Honda CRV, the Toyota RAV4, they are big on the outside, but on the inside, the center console hits against the top of my calf (I'm not even that tall), and the body roll was pretty scary at anything more than 50mph, not to mention the powertrain that is quite limited. I then tried something bigger, the Subaru Outback. Except it's noisy and the engine is a tad unrefined. Ok... Let's try some luxury SUVs then. Lexus RX. Very nice, best sound system I've ever heard in a car (it has a lot of clarity and openness to it), the fit and finish are excellent, everything is just well put together and while it's not very fast (a bit heavy and the 290hp V6 is not that responsive), at least it rides well, it stays flat unless you push it a bit, an doesn't randomly sway around. It's quiet, ridiculously smooth, and it even takes normal gas rather than premium which compensates for the "meh" 26mpg highway compared to the 33+ of my sedan.
    Very pleasant.

So I figured ok let's try the Audi Q5 plug-in hybrid. It has the normal 255hp i4 and on top of that, 120hp of electric, it should be responsive. It is. I liked it, good brakes, good acceleration, very good throttle response (instant electric torque), and with the $7500 rebate, combined with the ridiculous gas prices, it would be "relatively" affordable (though let's be honest, it's a luxury, if I was only going for needs, I'd just get a used RX and be done with it). The sound system is decent though not even close to be equivalent to the RX.
    It's fast, it feels nice, seats are maybe a bit firm but alright. I like it though something feels a tiny bit off.

Then I figured, let's try a BMW, see if they are really that different. I contacted my local dealership, the guy said they had no X3 M40i in stock, but that a X4 M40i would drive the same, so I could just try the X4 and if I liked it, order an X3. (I'm assuming that's true? Same platform and engine?)

Anyway, I did the test drive. The salesman brought the car.
    Nice seats. Nice interior. It's precise and feels comfortable and well put together. I push the throttle a bit, power takes a bit to build up but then pushes pretty hard. Brakes are a bit sharp but
    The guy tells me now push the sport mode button.
    It downshifts and revs up. The suspension hardens, so does the steering. The inline 6 sounds ready to pounce.
    Oh.
    OMG THIS THING IS AMAZING
    It feels like a sports car.
    I take the ramp onto the highway. I push, turn. It does NOT roll at all, it practically feels like it did some torque vectoring. I continue driving like a complete idiot, braking really hard, swaying between the cars. Then go back to normal mode and then eco mode. And then it just feels like a sedan but a calm luxurious one.

I am absolutely blown away. I have been in cars that drive as well, but never an SUV.

... we get back to the dealership, he asks if I liked it, I say yes, we then spec an X3. And he says here is the price. Oh and there's an extra 5 to 8K for anything M because that's the market. It took me aback. I left a bit disappointed.

X3 and X4 do drive the same right?
    Any idea about how to skip that dealer markup? Just wait? Or are there other tricks? I don't need the car absolutely right now, though this year would be cool...
    I can get the Q5E at sticker and save another 7500 on rebate. But honestly while it's 90% as good, the excitement of driving a real sports car (in the shape of an SUV), the sound of the inline 6, and all that are not there with the Audi...

My Cars
    2019 X3 M40i
    I had the same reaction the first time I test drove the M40i. I actually had that reaction as soon as I heard it pull it up to the curb. I walked away from that test drive with a new X3 M40i on order If you are still in the market for one, I am selling mine (not because I don't love it, but because i had the opportunity to custom build an upgrade and couldn't pass) and would love to sell it to someone who will really appreciate it, rather than trade in to the dealer just to let them mark it up. Mine is a 2019 with ~20k miles (just under 20k right now but i'm still driving it at the moment). I have worked from home the entire time i've owned the car so it has been my grocery getter and otherwise lives in the garage. No smoking, clean title in hand, clean carfax, and loaded with options. If you're interested in talking, let me know.
    I have my car listed here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-20k-miles-48k

Hope you find a car you love!
    Fay