Thread: EWS Alignment Software?

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3

EWS Alignment Software?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to compile the best at home kit for INPA that connects the 20 pin ADS port? In searching the various old threads, I am curious which version of INPA you are using, what type of cable, and OS you are using to successfully communicate with the car.

Background: have a 10/95 m3 silver label DME. I have a two chips I want to try out but needs to have EWS aligned. All my local shops either carry autologic, a late version INPA, or don't know how to do alignments. so I can't rely on local shops.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Those two chips will only make that S50 ping on a hot day, so just keep it stock, problem solved.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    First, ignoring the bs above, I'm assuming you have an OBD1 car.

You have a couple of options. First is you can disable the EWS system by clipping the wire to the ECU. (I believe it's to pin 66 and it's green) I had Karl at Active Autowerks install a switch in the ECU on that lead so that I don't need to cut any wires...

When I first took delivery of my car in June 1995, Autothority took my ECU read the EWS codes and burned new chips with the code, so it didn't need alignment. (oh, and it never pinged on 93 octane gas...) along with a carbon fiber intake. (yep it was a hot air intake (no shielding) lol) It still didn't ping.

Then I got the Conforti kit from Turner 3.5" HFM intake, and chip. It didn't ping either... Made 230 RWHp on a Dynapac.

Then I got a VF engineering supercharger kit, with absolutely horrible GIAC tuning. Added a slightly smaller pully (9psi vs 6 psi), water injection, 3.5" hfm (again), 38#/hr injectors and had Karl tune it. (it doesn't ping either...)

Anyway. if you want. You can find BMW GT1 heads with the 20 pin and OBD2 connectors and run Progman, on an old IBM T30 laptop using VM Ware virtual machine programing. (it is sometimes fiddley)
    Last edited by RRSperry; 01-12-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    First, ignoring the bs above, I'm assuming you have an OBD1 car.

You have a couple of options. First is you can disable the EWS system by clipping the wire to the ECU. (I believe it's to pin 66 and it's green) I had Karl at Active Autowerks install a switch in the ECU on that lead so that I don't need to cut any wires...
    It still didn't ping.
    (it doesn't ping either...)
    Ignore RRSperry bs above if you want your S50 to last. You are assuming it is obd1? lol, he is talking about it silver label and chips duh. You can't disable it by cutting the wire on 1995 production M3 so don't be telling wrong information. It didn't ping because knock sensor detected it and retarded the junk out of timing and made it make less HP than stock. You are in MD where air is always humid and mostly cold, he is in dry and hot CA

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    actually one of those chips I am trying to get aligned is a factory chip but not the original one from my DME. my car came with a dinan stage 1 chip from PO and it seems to run fine in all kinds of weather with CA 91. I don't have any bolt-ons or other engine mods so I am thinkin the stage 1 chip simply just raises the rev limiter and top speed governor.

I am just trying something new and also trying to get a factory chip just in case. Hakanet do you also copy eprom chips? The factory one I have in possession has a bent pin that maybe salvagable. but just in case, I was hoping to make a copy of it in case things go bad.
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 01-12-2022 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    I had a 1993 E36 and installed the Conforti chip. At first it ran great and added a little power but as the car got older and more miles, it started to ping and I had to reinstall the stock chip. Suspect it was building up carbon raising the compression and making hot spots.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post

I am just trying something new and also trying to get a factory chip just in case. Hakanet do you also copy eprom chips? The factory one I have in possession has a bent pin that maybe salvagable. but just in case, I was hoping to make a copy of it in case things go bad.
    I can make you one, no ews on it.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Wouldn’t my silver label dme that I plug the chip into still prevent it? I can confirm I have EWSII

My Cars
    1998 e36
    it will work, hardware is the same

Last edited by hakentt; 01-14-2022 at 03:20 AM.