Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth bummer

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is

Bluetooth SUCCESS!!!

Hey Guys,
    I have a 02/03 build E39 wagon. I also have a 02/03 X5.
    Considering they are very similar, I thought I might get lucky.
    Not-so-much

I read up on reviving the factory Bluetooth with a modern phone.
    The X5 was 5he first one I tried this in.
    It worked PERFECTLY. ok, I’m not such a dork after all!

Thought I could duplicate my success on the wagon.
    I bought darn near exact date TCU and Bluetooth antenna.
    The X5 is loud and clear, wagon is very faint to hear.
    Everything seems to work fine. When I call, others say I’m
    Chrystal clear. My problem is that The caller is extremely faint.
    If I’m not got my ear 6 inches from speaker, I can’t hear them.

I have every volume knob maxed out.
    The only difference is that the X5 has DSP, and wagon does not.
    Both vehicles have the aux cable mod. (just did that, works great)

Other posters here say without DSP I need to buy and install an amp.
    Anyone with similar problems?
    Last edited by av8r4aa; 01-30-2022 at 07:25 PM. Reason: I figured it out
    I will always own a BMW.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    What about the volume on your phone?
    Set that up to maximum aslo.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    See your other thread on this. Frankie has the same comment with a pic and link

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Check this product out. I have one and it's very easy to install and works great.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Yes, what you're experiencing is pretty much what has been discussed over the last decade+ and, what led the owner/enthusiast who makes the Bluebus to create a ground up modern solution which is the best on the market for sure. It's what I recommend you go for too.

The OEM BT modules are very old now, and given that BMW changed and revised the electronics within the modules, even if you purchased an as close a manufactured hardware, there may have been software and hardware changes revisions etc which then manifest themselves in the issues you are experiencing. For a long while, the usual response on the forums was to buy a 13th Gen BT module as it was the latest BT module. However as mobile phones came out each year with new and better BT stacks/Electronics, then even that unit had some issues with compatibility and performance too. The other aspect mentioned is that you could try different gen BT oem modules till one worked, but the problem with that is if you then updated your phone with an Android update, it might have made things stop working well/properly/at all. iPhones have fared better in terms of compatibility in comparison.

So, you could do the same and buy various oem BT modules in the hope one works, or, save all that faff and hassle and get the Bluebus. Alas, give the current situation with world wide logistics and electronics supplies, it seems the next batch of the Bluebus are currently slated for mid 2022 for availability.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Or install one of these inline with your TCU and Bob’s your uncle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elk-Product...-127632-2357-0
    “She’s the last of the V8’s, she sucks nitro...phase 4 heads, twin overhead cams...600 horsepower through the wheels, she’s meanness put to music...”

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Another happy Bluebus owner here...it's the easiest install imaginable and integrates seamlessly.

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is
    Blue Bus sounds like the Bomb. Very well engineered.
    For sure something to consider.
    Since this is my daily driver….Chuck Wagon,
    It’s not the nicest of the fleet.
    I am going with the Elk-800 amp.

Thank you to all that replied and helped me out.
    I will always own a BMW.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Let us know how that works. Amplifying the crap out of a low level distorted signal just doesn't sound promising to me. So curious.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I have a factory TCU installed with the ELK amp. Works fine. Honestly the biggest hassle with the factory system is the annoying phone ring tone (can control volume for tone separate from call volume but still annoying sound) and the echo on the call receiver end. This can be minimized by installing the mic in the right direction (arrow to front of car) and turning down call volume during call so the caller is less likely to hear themselves through car speakers, but it’s still suboptimal compared to modern Bluetooth systems.
    “She’s the last of the V8’s, she sucks nitro...phase 4 heads, twin overhead cams...600 horsepower through the wheels, she’s meanness put to music...”

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I have a factory TCU installed with the ELK amp. Works fine. Honestly the biggest hassle with the factory system is the annoying phone ring tone (can control volume for tone separate from call volume but still annoying sound) and the echo on the call receiver end. This can be minimized by installing the mic in the right direction (arrow to front of car) and turning down call volume during call so the caller is less likely to hear themselves through car speakers, but it’s still suboptimal compared to modern Bluetooth systems.
    My original cable armrest phone still works, in EU we still have the GSM 2G network functional (used it on new year at 00:00 as the 3,4,5G were dead) and the sound is THE BEST QUALITY. I have 4 other Bluetooth cars , 2014 the oldest and 2021 the newest, none compare with the 22 years old original phone.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    To the OP, yes there is an amp probably required. I never bothered and lived with the lower volume. The amp and how to wire is available online...I think from bimmernav. The amp is not expensive...I bought one, but never installed it and gave it to a friend.

Ignore the detractors, I installed a 5th gen kit from bimmernav back in 2006 and it worked with every phone I purchased right up until early 2021 with an Iphone XR (that included multiple motorolas, blackberry, and IPhones. I switched in early 2021 to bluebus
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    Check this product out. I have one and it's very easy to install and works great.
    Not to hijacks thread, but holy cow this is the first time I've heard of this, I'm signing up for updates, hopefully they'll be manufactured again. my CD43 with Aux input will only last so long...... damn phones removing 3.5mm jacks....
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    BlueBus is 'da bomb for sure. It really took my car into the modern era and was pretty much a breeze to install. I had one issue with the device (wouldn't pair when outside temp was bitter cold) and Ted quickly replaced the filter caps with improved devices that had a wider operating range. The only thing I'm missing now is carplay....

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    I use a bluebus in both my E39 and E34. Excellent product and worth every penny. Ted the maker is very talented and conscientious in addressing customer issues.

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Well I'm sold, once it comes back to available I'll snag one up and populate my microphone slot.
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Thanks. Good to know there is a acceptable low cost option. I went with the BlueBus because it does everything I want from phone to audio.. but it is a big pricey.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by av8r4aa View Post
    My problem is that The caller is extremely faint.
    If I’m not got my ear 6 inches from speaker, I can’t hear them.

I have every volume knob maxed out.
    The only difference is that the X5 has DSP, and wagon does not.
    The difference here is how the audio is being routed. For a DSP-equipped car, the telephone audio goes from the ULF to the DSP and then gets amplified and sent to the front speakers. On E3x cars without DSP, BMW equipped the front door speakers with two distinct drivers: One for telephone audio and one for music.

I suspect (I've never had one apart to say for certain) that the designers of the ULF never intended for it to be retrofit into cars earlier than 2004 (at which point BMW had moved the telephony audio onto the regular sound system instead of using bespoke speakers), so they did not equip it with a proper amplifier to drive a speaker. Likely, they are outputting line level audio, expecting the DSP / Amplifier to do the heavy lifting, which is why it's so faint.

The ELK amplifier will definitely fix it, but another option would be to get a Bluetooth-equipped Everest TCU like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143570100148

I've had these apart and they definitely have a bespoke power amplifier for the speaker outputs.

The pin mapping is 1:1 between the ULF and the Everest TCU, so it would be plug and play.

Anyways, as the "BlueBus guy" it's nice to see so many of you posting positive things about my baby !

Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    Thanks. Good to know there is a acceptable low cost option. I went with the BlueBus because it does everything I want from phone to audio.. but it is a big pricey.
    Yeah, I'm working on bringing the price down to $199 once it's available again. At least that's my target.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    Anyways, as the "BlueBus guy" it's nice to see so many of you posting positive things about my baby !

Yeah, I'm working on bringing the price down to $199 once it's available again. At least that's my target.

Thanks!
    -Ted
    Sorry about the typo.. I meant "a bit pricey" not "a big pricey", damn spellchecker.. Personally I think compared to other available options the price is fine. There is value in how easy it is to install, value in how it works, value in customer service, value in after sales support, and value in adding features which can be upgraded via firmware. The latter being the one I'm currently interested in..

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33

Thanks!
    -Ted[/QUOTE]

I was lucky enough to be part of the buy-in during initial release. Great product great customer service. Ted, I hope the family is well.

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is
    Calling all amplifier guys.
    I have bought and installed the ELK-800 amp.
    It does work, but not very well.
    I can turn it up, but it gets very distorted.
    Anyone sharp on the install of these speaker amps?
    Others that have installed this rave about it.
    Either mine is junk, or I wired it wrong.

Thank you.
    Last edited by av8r4aa; 01-23-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    I will always own a BMW.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I can turn it up, but it gets very distorted.
    You're over-boosting the signal.

Phone audio needs very little boost to attain an acceptable level. In my DIY, I specify setting the volume wheel of the ELK amp at about 1/4 only. Then adjust the volume from the in-dash volume control and from your phone. In my experience, BMW front speakers have built-in circuitry that clip signals to protect the speakers. That's probably what you're experiencing.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    In my experience, BMW front speakers have built-in circuitry that clip signals to protect the speakers.
    The speakers themselves don't have any sort of low pass filter that I've ever seen. I have a "dual cone" speaker sitting next to me and it is definitely just directly wired to the harness. Any signals running through the amp will definitely be subject to high pass and low pass filtering, though.

-Ted

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is
    I ordered a new amp.
    Think mine might be damaged.
    Gonna try that out.

Other users rave about this, I have something in the chain
    of parts not working correctly.
    It’s garbled and turning up only makes it worse.
    I will always own a BMW.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    I ordered a new amp.
    Think mine might be damaged.
    Gonna try that out.

Other users rave about this, I have something in the chain
    of parts not working correctly.
    It’s garbled and turning up only makes it worse.
    Could you post pictures of how it's wired in?

-Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast