Thread: Damaged LSD

My Cars
    540i/6 E34

Damaged LSD

I've just bought a 3.15 LSD from a 750iL E32. I'm looking inside from the sides and one of the two crossed-patterned bevel mates seems to be damaged. Am I right? If so, is this repairable? Where can I find new bevel metes for 210 large case diff? Can I simply leave it as it is (it was removed from a car that was driving OK with this diff)?

002.jpg 001.jpg

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    All I'm seeing is at about 10:00 in the second pic. Looks like some damage to the edge of the spline. Is that what concerns you?
    If so it is inconsequential by itself. To speculate I'd say perhaps the result of a ham handed attempt at axle insertion might have caused it. Unless there is also debris in the oil I'd not give it a second thought.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    If the car was driving okay beforehand then I would just leave it alone... you'd have to tear the diff apart and do a full rebuild if you wanted those splines to be absolutely perfect.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    540i/6 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    All I'm seeing is at about 10:00 in the second pic. Looks like some damage to the edge of the spline. Is that what concerns you?
    If so it is inconsequential by itself. To speculate I'd say perhaps the result of a ham handed attempt at axle insertion might have caused it. Unless there is also debris in the oil I'd not give it a second thought.

Please see the edited photo where I have circled the points where look damaged. Also part 1 (see photo) seems to be one (as it should) where part 2 seems to be two disjoint pieces (like broken). What do you think? 002.jpg

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    It looked like it was broken to me also but the two guys above know more than me. Taking it apart is not difficult. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHD3Z54sV_U. It will allow you to inspect the diff and the clutch plates before you install it.
    demet

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by /vaggelis/ View Post
    Please see the edited photo where I have circled the points where look damaged. Also part 1 (see photo) seems to be one (as it should) where part 2 seems to be two disjoint pieces (like broken). What do you think? 002.jpg
    Aha, it does look broken. I've not been inside one of these diffs but am familiar with others. I suspect there are supposed to be two shafts crossing with a bevel gear at each end comprising the "differential" gears. Seems that one shaft is destroyed. This would be a serious failure.

Interestingly the splines now look fine.
    Is there debris in the oil ? Were you told it works or do you know?
    Someone familiar with these diffs needs to comment.
    I do not believe BMW ever offered repair parts for these but only a complete unit.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-10-2022 at 09:38 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    That looks broken to me, as you guys said the two dimpled shafts are supposed to cross. Example medium-case LSD, at least, hard to find large-case pumpkins for comparison:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25525275117...MAAOSwlBVfaLW0

If you install the differential and it operates without knocking or whirring noises, I am shocked. Two of the spider gears are effectively "loose" if I interpret your photo correctly.