Thread: Weight difference between electric & manual sport seats is 3.6lbs (sport not vaders)

My Cars
    E36 M3

Weight difference between electric & manual sport seats is 3.6lbs (sport not vaders)

I was always curious the weight difference between my electric and manual M3 sport seats. There are many threads but no definitive stats. I’m going to be having one set refinished with new nappa leather and finally took the time to put them on a commercial scale.

Electric sport seat is 62.9lbs
    Manual sport seat is 59.3lbs

Only 3.6lbs difference. Makes sense when consider only a few motors and gear boxes. Thought some might find this useful.
    Last edited by brianc; 01-09-2022 at 05:10 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    …hard to believe it is less that 4 lbs per seat considering the tracks and lift mechanisms in addition to the motors and mounts.

Who is doing your covers? All new leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    …hard to believe it is less that 4 lbs per seat considering the tracks and lift mechanisms in addition to the motors and mounts. Who is doing your covers? All new leather?
    yeah I thought it might be something like 8 to 12 lbs. But if you think about it both electric and manual have basically the same tracks - one just has a couple motors and more complex gear assemblies. This is a calibrated 500lbs commercial scale so it's not lying I bought the bmw nappa from germany and having it done locally. Not sure who will be doing it yet, I started a thread several months back and there was a few local options.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nappa-already)

Last edited by brianc; 01-10-2022 at 04:57 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5, 2011 370Z
    If you care about weight you obviously don't want electric seats. If you want electric seats you obviously don't care about weight. Data is always good though. Thanks for sharing!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    If you care primarily about weight you would get any of these the heck out of there! They are so heavy. Problem for me is I'm an OEM+ guy and unless I had some BMW-leather-wrapped aftermarket seat it would drive me nuts. IMO these seats actually suck at their job ... there is no side bolster and you have to brace yourself when driving. I have a Recaro pole position that I put in sometimes.. I've taken out both stock seats and driven w/ the one recaro and the difference is very evident.
    I do sort of care about weight. I do not have spare tire, jack, & tools and I have a 17lbs antigravity battery, Dinan exhaust, etc. I also always drive w/ 1/4 tank of gas (car is only driven on weekends these days). Saves about 175lbs over stock and is very noticeable if you are intimate w/ the M3.