Thread: Is the cam position sensor harness plug part of the updated crank sensor adapter?

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport

Is the cam position sensor harness plug part of the updated crank sensor adapter?

I have searched and not found an answer. 97 328i, cam position sensor plug on the harness side has burnt the wires in half. Is this plug part of the crankshaft position sensor adapter harness that was installed during the recall years ago? The recall was performed on mine but I need to figure out if the cam sensor harness plug is part of that adapter or if it's on its own and I need to some how cut off the remaining plug from the harness side and run new wires to the main harness. If so, I think the wires are .35 black/.35 brown/.35 yellow. Where in the harness do I need to splice into if I need to go this route?

I have pulled the DME and it looks fine, harness connector tot the DME looks fine, opened the harness channel box running down the center of the engine and all wires look fine. DME is getting power. Only code I am getting is P0340. Replaced cam sensor with genuine BMW from FCP with no luck and then discovered the harness side of the plug is fried. Car starts and runs great when cold. Once it is at operating temp and I turn it off, it wont start again. I'm hoping the cam sensor plug is part of the crank sensor adapter to make things easier.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    1997 328i
    With the intake manifold off you should be able to see where it all connects to. I know it gets 12v power from the front of the injector rail. Here is a link for the update cable.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...MFG9-V155.aspx
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    Thanks for the reply. I want to know that the crank sensor adapter harness in fact has the plug for the cam sensor included in it before buying the adapter harness. I can change the harness adapter without removing the manifold. Just want to know before I go removing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here more in detail where this adapter harness is connected to http://bavarian-board.com/uploads/kb...ion_Sensor.pdf
    Install adapter harness P/N 12514592703.
    a. Connect (1) to the new crankshaft position sensor.
    b. Connect (2) to the engine harness connector which was previously connected to the old crankshaft sensor located below the intake manifold.
    c. Connect (3) to the VANOS solenoid valve located on the VANOS unit.
    d. Connect (4) to the engine wiring harness connector which previously connected directly to the VANOS solenoid valve
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    So none of the plugs on the crankshaft sensor adapter harness are for the camshaft position sensor.

If my cam position sensor harness side plug is basically burned in half, do I clip it off and run new wire to the main harness? If so, where on the harness do I splice the three wires into on the harness? Can I just cap off the bare, burnt wires from the harness being as it wouldn’t be in use anymore?

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    1997 328i
    That makes sense. The vanos solenoid plug has 12v+ all the time so that's used to bump up the crank sensor voltage, the vanos is negatively switched which doesn't bother the crank sensor that has its own ground (or shield).

I think I have an old adapter cable, might take a look to be sure. Funny cause the expensive cable isn't needed for someone that knows how to do basic wiring, just gotta do it right the first time. Also wiring it manually (and soldering) is far superior to adding a bunch of new connectors. Don't know if the newer pigtailed crank sensor will plug into the factory harness with out the updated harness adapter though.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The adapter harness is not part of the circuit you need to repair. Find a good used engine wiring harness, repair the wiring on yours, or find someone with a bunch of old E36 cars and parts who will cut off that harness end with a pigtail for you to splice in. If you want to stop by my house in NH, I could probably help, but that won’t be convenient unless you are local.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    I’d stop by but I live in TN. Guess I’ll have to splice a new one in. Do I have to splice in at the same place it’s burned or can I cut off the plug and wire it into the harness somewhere easier than under the manifold like in the loom running down the middle of the top of the engine in the black plastic channel box and then run the plug back under the manifold, slip it back into the metal holder where it is now and then plug in the new cam position sensor?

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    1997 328i
    This harness on eBay should have the connector on it. Its a Z3 with an m52. To do this right you should remove the intake and go several inches past the damage, solder it, use shrink tubing and use electrical tape to protect the line from abrasion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233221429786

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    So I can’t splice straight into the harness other than at the site of the burnt wires under the manifold? Is it not possible to open the harness wiring box under the cowl and tie in there with the plug?

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You could do that if you could locate the correct wires in the tray. I personally would do it the right way even if it takes longer. I have repaired these harnesses and replaced them. It’s a good way to learn more about your car and can be done in less than a day. Much less if you read up on the job first.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    For reference, here is the fried harness side wires coming from the plug. It’s holding on by one of the three fried wires. I just tried starting the car with the cam sensor unplugged and it started right up as it should. Worst case I can still drive it to my local German shop.

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There are DIY for the wiring harness. I have even seen pictures of a harness with each end labeled in one of these subforums. Those wires should be replaced. A good question is why they look like that. Did someone swap a standard bosch relay while testing? If so there may be more bad wires in the harness tray. If it is just insulation flaking off from age then there may also be other wires in a similar state.

Once you get in there, you will figure out what needs to be done. If you do find the wires are bare going back in and there are no other bad wires you could try running new ones outside of the harness. Look up the colors in Bentley for your year if you cannot see the colors and then look for them in the tray.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    It happened in November during my last track day. This is my track only car. The O2 bank 2 sensor 2 came out of the clip that holds the wires away from the cat and melted the wire. This caused a short that have me p0340 and p0160 at the same time. There was a section of burnt wire running from the O2 forward that I fixed and installed new O2’s post cat. That error is now gone. I’m guessing the short made my cam sensor harness connection fry somehow? I’ve checked the wires in the tray and the DME and coming out of the fuse box the best I can and don’t see any other burned wires.

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe you got lucky and that is all the damage. Cam sensor tells ECU when to spray fuel and 02 tells it how to adjust mixture so maybe there are some crossover wires that share power or ground. So try your idea of new wires from the tray and maybe zip tie them in plastic conduit under the intake to the CPS. Again, I would personally just replace the harness, having done the job a few times, but if it is just an old car that is not worth much and does not have to be perfect or original, your idea will work.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    The wiring diagram for the sensor says .35 for all three wires. When I search for .35 black/brown/yellow wire online to buy I don’t find anything. I’m NOT an electrical guru at all. Is .35 the gauge? Can you all simplify what I need to buy please?

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d have to see them to estimate the gauge. Won’t hurt if you splice 18 gauge onto 22 gauge. If they are striped, it will be tricky to find striped wires. Yellow, black and brown are not hard to find with no stripes. You can use any colors and label them.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    So I dug into the harness tray to find the wires and discovered one of them is fried all the way up to the plastic splice cover that it terminates at. This caused a bunch of micro burns to other wires too so I’m just going to get a new harness and have piece of mind.

I do appreciate the advice and letting me bounce some ideas off of you all!

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is fairly typical — shorting all the way back into the tray and affecting other wires that are touched.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Don't buy that z3 m52 harness I mentioned above, you will want one that is specific.

When you get your replacement it would be a good idea to spray all connectors with Deoxit 5% (not cheap contact cleaner).

You can contact member "66 6" for a harness, he parts out e36's.

My Cars
    1997 328i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Don't buy that z3 m52 harness I mentioned above, you will want one that is specific.

When you get your replacement it would be a good idea to spray all connectors with Deoxit 5% (not cheap contact cleaner).

You can contact member "66 6" for a harness, he parts out e36's.
    Just PM’d. Thanks!

Mike
    1997 328i Sport, 5 speed
    2013 X5

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    You ever get this sorted Mike? I'm also in TN. We have many e36's here at the local salvage yard. I can source a harness if need be.