Thread: Squealing & Check Engine

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3

Squealing & Check Engine

Went to Valvoline to get my oil changed on New Years Eve. New technician spilled oil in engine - I was asked to start my car and the sound was deafening (we thought someone had slammed their breaks and was squealing outside). As soon as I killed the engine - the sound stopped - and I realized it was MY car making that noise. They were very apologetic and proceeded to tell me that the "new guy" spilled oil. They used some mixture of dawn and water to remove - and the squealing calmed a bit. Fast forward ONE day - and my car is now squealing HORRIBLY - and the check engine light came on. I took it back to Valvoline who insisted that it was a coincidence & the sound had nothing to do with the spill - neither did the squealing - as they said the serpentine belt was now clean. My local mechanic (doesn't really do much but inspection on my car) said his code reader pulled one code for the check engine light - which was 131508 variable camshaft timing control. He also said there were two other error codes that said, "oil pressure plausibility high" and "oil pressure control valve".

I am brand new here and am my wits end. My question is if any of you REALLY believe that this is all coincidence - or if it is related to the oil spill. Any help is appreciated.

Lori

PS: I have a 2011 X3 with 130000 miles. She's no spring chicken.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    It may not be related to an oil spill, however an oil change and oil system issues are too coincidental. It does appear to be an internal lubrication system fault, so it may not be Valvoline's fault.

"oil pressure plausibility high" indicates the sensor is reading high oil pressure that it shouldn't see.
    "oil pressure control valve" likely indicates a fault with the control valve
    131508 variable camshaft timing control is a VANOS fault actuated by, you guessed it, oil pressure

This is a case where you're better off to bite the bullet and pay someone to diagnose the issue. I'd also avoid running the engine until you do. If possible have it towed to a dealer service department or qualified BMW independent. Give them the history and let them figure it out. Ask them to document it in case you have to sue the Valvoline shop.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    Zed4
    Maybe they put way too much oil in the engine. What does the level in the idrive show?

My Cars
    2009 bmw x3
    I’m not familiar with the engine on a 2011, but all the symptoms could be explained on an N52 engine by an improperly installed, improperly sized oil filter element, or damaged oil filter mounting cage or missing o-ring or two. The oil filter holder determines flow as well as bypass. Here’s my scenario: removes too quickly and drips oil on accessory belt, causes squeal. Installs filter element improperly, crushes new oil filter thus restricting flow, leaves out or damages an o ring changing bypass. Long shot, but have someone who knows how it’s done and what it’s supposed to look like simply remove the oil filter cover and make sure everything is ok in there. Good luck.