Thread: BMW S54 Disassembled

My Cars
    z3

BMW S54 Disassembled

Complete BMW S54 engine
    Disassembled - but all the parts are there (some accessories may be missing like alternator, A/C compressor, but if I have it I'll include it)

Bought it as a "good" engine on eBay for $3500. Drained the oil and a delicious slurry of half coolant/half oil came out. Filed a dispute but eBay said because I opened the drain plug, I "tampered with the engine" and refused a refund or even a partial refund.

I disassembled it further and noticed there was a piston melted. The block was also scored on that cylinder. Crank looks fine, rods look fine. I suspect the previous owner was F/I and sold it after they melted the piston. "Was running when removed" may technically be true but "won't run as-is when reinstalled" is a more accurate descriptor. I knew someone with overbore pistons I was going to buy to put it back together but just never got around to it. I also sold the car I planned on swapping this engine into so I lost my incentive to put it back together. I've been keeping the engine around, convincing myself I'd rebuild it, but it's been almost two years now so just going to sell it at a loss to get some shop space back.

What parts are selling for on eBay, just as an example of value (these are SOLD listings, not active listings, so people paid these prices):
    Crankshaft - three recent sales for $800, $850, $800
    Oil pan with pump, pickup, etc - $600, $550, oil pump alone $200
    Head (I am not sure my head is good as-is, I would assume not, but it can be machined) - $850, $700
    Block - $1000, $900
    ITB's - $875, $575
    Throttle actuator - $250, $180, $175, $200

Open to reasonable offers. I'm already losing money but would just rather free the space up at this point. If you just need parts I may be willing to part it out too but would need to sell some big ticket items first, as I don't want to make it incomplete just to sell a $50 part

Would rather sell it one transaction and get rid of everything than part it out even if I leave a few bucks on the table doing it that way. I already have enough spare parts at my shop which I need to list and sell...

PM me if interested

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    86 el camino, 95+98 m3
    I’d be interested in the ITBS and “air tube”. But for market prices. I’m local as well if your interested

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aapex05 View Post
    I’d be interested in the ITBS and “air tube”. But for market prices. I’m local as well if your interested
    You can PM me an offer if you would like, but I don't know what you mean by market price... the prices I listed are the most recent completed sales on eBay