Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combining a Manual and Auto Driveshaft?

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    If I read his post correctly, Donny is going to a 3.0...
    Yes, An M54B30 is part of my swap. My current 2.5 has an ESS twinscrew which will end up on the 3.0.This package should have no problem pulling a 2.93 gear.
    Anyone know where I can find three 500mm Laminova cores for the intercooler? ESS has depleted their stock.
    -Donny

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    Yes, An M54B30 is part of my swap. My current 2.5 has an ESS twinscrew which will end up on the 3.0.This package should have no problem pulling a 2.93 gear.
    Anyone know where I can find three 500mm Laminova cores for the intercooler? ESS has depleted their stock.
    -Donny
    Wow that setup/combo makes me drool!

I'd rather keep the B25 as I'm a fan of undersquare engines, but I can see why you'd want to go to the B30. Are you going to use an ATI damper or what?
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    -Donny
    I just had a look on the ESS website and yeah, there's almost nothing there for the E39 anymore. I had been saving for a supercharger kit but I guess now I'll have to wait for a used one to pop up. Damn.

Any idea what's needed to adapt the kit from 2.5L to 3.0? IIRC they were separate products from ESS and there was some mention of compatibility.

My Cars
    2001 530i, 1994 325iS
    Alright, figured it’s time for an update! Manual swap is well underway and hoping to finish up the wiring end of things tomorrow! Got the driveshaft in today, and it turns out that the splines on the manual shaft were taller than the ones on the automatic shaft, so it’s not a direct bolt up if combining the two driveshafts together. Ended up using the whole manual driveshaft and swapping out the rear differential flange from a manual car as well. I knew that the manual differential flange was larger of course, but the studs on the end of the manual driveshaft are also a larger diameter than those on the automatic driveshaft! Kinda interesting to see what worked and what didn’t today. Glad to have everything bolted up and ready to go though! Hoping to have my 530i on the road again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    How did swapping the flanges go?

My Cars
    2001 530i, 1994 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckesteeze View Post
    How did swapping the flanges go?
    Super easy once you have the correct socket! It’s a 30mm socket, however the walls need to be very thin to be able to fit inside of the flange to remove the nut. Just used a belt sander to shave down my socket walls and came out super easy after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Hey OP, how did your driveshaft end up working out?

I just put my new motor and transmission in yesterday, with plans to go with the frankenshaft route so I can use a 3.15 rear diff I picked up. Local driveshaft place says they can balance it so we'll see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12