Thread: E60 LCI retrofit SMC coding troubles

My Cars
    are rusting away

E60 LCI retrofit SMC coding troubles

So I'm doing an LCI conversion on my 2005/11 E61 535d, the previous owner already did the lion's share of the work by retrofitting the rear lights, installing and coding the LM2 module so all I'm doing is wiring in and coding the fronts. Smooth sailing up to this point, I had a great headstart, the LM2 module is coded with 09/09 year, since the car also has CIC retrofitted so it doesn't start throwing codes. So AE and everything worked from the get go, all I was left to do was to code the SMC modules, and this turned out to be a bit more work than expected. Getting NCS expert to work and getting the right SP datens was a bit more trouble than I wanted, but in the end NCS expert reads the LMA module correctly, I got the correct VIN and model year needed, but when I try to code LSMC it does the coding part, but I'm still getting a 0x9CBE - Electronics on the left headlight (SMC) report an error fault. Seems the LSMC doesn't want to code, the RSMC no longer reports an error after coding using the exact same steps. I believe the wiring is correct, as I can see the stepper motor doing a self test correctly, so it moves left and right on initialisation, but still logs an error.
    The only difference between the SMC modules is that one the left one is older with a part number 63126934836 and the right one that seems to be successfully coded is 63126941634.

I'm kind of stumped here, I've tried the following:

- coding after reading LMA, no bueno, using FSW PSW MAN profile
    - coding with empty FSW PSW trc file and man file
    - coding with empty FSW PSW trc file and man file AND nettodat trc and man file

What seems to work on the right module doesn't want to work on the left module. I've not yet switched the modules between the L and R headlight since it's a bit of a PITA to get the lights out, but I'm hoping this can be solved through coding. Any tips or tricks here by chance?
    Live slow, die whenever

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Well, my NCS expert setup is correct! Seems the old module doesn't code, so I bought a good used newer one (SMC to SMC II), slapped it on and I could code this module successfully, adaptive headlights now work and I've got no codes. Yay!
    Live slow, die whenever