Thread: Shift knob insert supplier?

My Cars
    BMW z3 coupe

Shift knob insert supplier?

Hey I was wondering if there is a supplier for the plastic insert that allows the knob to mate to the shift lever? Where do the people that make aftermarket shift knobs get them from?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    aftermarkets just make it. its just a sleave with plastic clip in it. ive been looking for a place to purchase this as its not practical to try an buy chepo shift knobs to tear apart hoping they arnt made on 1 piece plastic because cheap...

i have found a .stl file on thingiverse:
    Shift Knob Insert for BMW vehicles by Alex_Bell - Thingiverse

i printed it, the interior dimensions are perfect the exterior dimensions are about 1mm over spec. this edit isnt as easy as it sounds.... i decided to order some abs filiment and print it at 100% infill and turn it down on the lathe. abs isnt here yet.....

ive been looking for this part for awhile i somehow remember seeing it on realoem.com before they changed to the new site design, maybe an old copy on the bmw TIS/ETK has it listed, i cant run my 20 year old copy without a windows xp computer,

My Cars
    BMW z3 coupe
    That’s actually very helpful. Thank you very much

My Cars
    318i
    I'm looking for the same. Bought a zhp shift knob from a guy and found out the plastic was broken. Ughhh. Anyhow, hoping to salvage the purchase by getting a plastic insert replacement. Looking forward to hearing your solution.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    ive been looking for this part for awhile i somehow remember seeing it on realoem.com before they changed to the new site design, maybe an old copy on the bmw TIS/ETK has it listed, i cant run my 20 year old copy without a windows xp computer,
    I've got an 8/2004 version of the old ETK running under an XP virtual machine. Nothing there under an E30 325i.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    I've got an 8/2004 version of the old ETK running under an XP virtual machine. Nothing there under an E30 325i.
    if i did find it back then it would have been when searching for early euro car stuff. an e30 is to new id be looking at e23's or e12's/e9/e21/e28

if anyone gives solidworks a pile of money every month, the thingiverse link has the solidworks file. i think that file format is easy to edit if someone could resize the external diameter to several different sizes, then any bmw junkie in need can have a 3d print service make them one that fits your exact shift knob. this part 3d printed with ABS plastic would totally work just fine. its just faster for me to machine this part to my specs then it is to redraw it.

+1 for ripping the knob off trying to shift into 2nd and having a total brain fart and stalling the car. some poor guy has got to have punched himself in the face.