Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: M30 engine ECU learning

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Maybe you can find it in the ETM, there are a lot of unconnected wires in the car, but if it looks ripped off/broken, then check
    what is the main cable color? this link is for British cars, not sure if that also fits for BMW: COMMONLY USED COLOUR CODES FOR BRITISH CAR WIRING https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....ew_order_2.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Thanks ! Brown/Blue Control box to ignition and lighting switch (feed) this wire color match from info you gave me. I will have a look it also at wiring diagram. Found one wire brown/blue coming from throttle switch may be that is it. I will check coutinuty from that wire to throttle switch plug. What does Control box to ignition mean ?
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 03-18-2022 at 09:58 PM.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Today did injectors current ramp test. All injectors working good.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I assume from e-box to ignition coil(s) (?), but the meaning is in general for all kind of British cars, so not sure what it means "Control box to ignition and lighting switch (feed)"

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Inside the e-box this one end of wire plug a touch to ECU harnes and another end a touch to some another four pin plug. Wire color blue and brown.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    I a bit confuse about the wire I mention earlier which is coming from throttle switch through black e-box to transmission TCU pin 26 not connected on diagram but connected on throttle switch to pin 2 and has color brown and goes to transmission TCU pin 6. But the wire blue and brown which is not connected in e- box from throttle switch also pin 2 and on engine diagram has connected to engine ECU to pin 52. Still did not check if ECU pin 52 is connected somewhere.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 03-23-2022 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    How it is engine ECU pins connected to throttle position switch in BMW 735iA 02/1990 M30B35 W/O EML throttle.

55 pin of Engine ECU violet and white goes to TPS pin 4 - not in wiring diagram

53 black and brown goes to TPS pin 5 - same in wiring diagram

52 blue and brown goes to TPS pin 6 - same in wiring diagram

27 green goes to pin 2 - not in wiring diagram

24 brown to TPS pin 2 - not in wiring diagram

19 brown and orange goes to TPS pin 2 - not in wiring diagram

18 red goes to TPS pin 4 - not in wiring diagram

14 brown goes to TPS pin 2 - not in wiring diagram

13 white and yellow goes to TPS pin 4 - not in wiring diagram

11 yellow goes to TPS pin 4 - not in wiring diagram

ECU has two pins only connected same like in Bentley wiring diagram ECU pin 52 and pin 53 all others ECU pins wire goes to another components are connected. Have a look on wave form of ignition coil wire test between ignition coil and distributors cap.
    20220324-1651-1.jpg20220324-1654-1.jpg
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:20 AM. Reason: TPS-t2

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    When the engine running checked the engine ECU pin 52 to TPS pin 1 black wire it shows 4.91v in diagram you did send me it shows 0 volts. This TPS plug connector has a rotating wheel option it can be rotate clockwise if you facing from front of the vehicle. TPS pin 1 wire is black should be connected to the automatic transmission TCU pin 9
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-11-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: TPS-t1

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Any body knows how to remove TPS plug pin out from socket ?
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-10-2023 at 05:52 AM. Reason: TPS-t6/t5/t4

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    As I understood brown/blue-brown/black-brown/orange those three wires is connected from TPS to engine ECU and another three wires witch is yellow/brown/black also is connected from TPS to the automatic transmission TCU. 3 wires goes to the engine ECU and 3 wires goes to the automatic transmission TCU but in my case those wires is mess it up. Should I put those wires as in wiring diagram ? Thank you in advance for your answer !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-11-2023 at 02:53 PM. Reason: TPS

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Hello everyone ! I would like to ask you about TPS pin 3 yellow wire which is coming from Automatic Transmission to Throttle Position Switch. And the engine ECU where wires should be connected to which pin number of the engine ECU and TPS because when I check voltage at TPS there is 4.91 volts. The ETM shows it should be 0 volts or 5 volts ? When was checked the ignition key on the engine off. Thanks in advance for your help !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-10-2023 at 06:09 AM. Reason: ECU

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Electronic Transmission wiring diagram. From throttle position switch coming out 3 wires which is coming from potentiometer side of TPS pins 1-2-3 and connected to the automatic transmission TCU pins that is with EML vehicle in this wiring diagram and 2 position program switch. Those 3 wires which is not connected to the automatic transmission TCU pins some of them connected but not same like in wiring diagram. If the TPS pin 5 wire connects somehow to pins 6 or 4 then it throws the code 54. If the TPS pin 5 wire not connected to the engine ECU then code 54 not stored in the engine ECU. This TPS wire it’s creating limp mode and causing the engine ECU makes Limited Operating Strategy then throw the code 54 from the engine ECU/DME which is Torque Converter Drive Position Switch.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:29 AM. Reason: TCU

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Could you make me good and great wiring diagram for connections between w/2 position program switch and two ECUs Transmission and Engine also need throttle position switch how to connect with ECU and TCU and oxygen sensor itself if you can't make it than I will make it and I would like someone to confirm is if correct or not correct. If something is not right. May I use late E-7 version for E-9 version Transmission pin out diagram ? E-9 version takes w/2 position program switch and E-7 version takes w/3 position program switch. E-9 version we don’t have pin out diagram. In both diagrams early and late versions of E-7 the TCM pins 10 and 26 are coding. Thanks in advance for your answer !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-10-2023 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Coding 26 and 10

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Annddrriy View Post
    Any body knows how to remove TS plug pin out from socket ?
    41 pages Breakout Boxes and Connectors http://www.e38.org/breakoutboxesandconenctors.pdf

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Do you know what is difference between two program switch with 2 program switch and 3 program switch. One wire coming from pin 4 of Transmission TCU to 3 program switch pin 6 and in 2 program switch pin 4 of transmission TCU goes to Engine ECU system what is difference between ?
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 04-07-2022 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Late ZF E-7 version in transmission control test measurement throttle potentiometer at idle pin 7 to 6 0.0-1.0 volts and at full load pin 7 to 6 4.5-5.5 volts. Transmission TCU pin 7 not connected to Throttle Potentiometer Signal pin 3 yellow wire. On both diagram with 3 program switch and 2 program switch throttle position switch pin 3 yellow wire goes to transmission TCU pin 7. Anyone knows how it is works with that yellow wire the signal goes to transmission or signal coming from transmission to TS ? Thanks !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 04-08-2022 at 04:29 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    S-E-M switch is the older one for EGS, 2 switch is for AGS. I have this info from the German 7 forum for EURO E32 version, quote: AGS was available from 09/1992, switch shows with AGS only "A" and "+" , it also has a different control module with 55 pins, the older EGS with S-E-M has 35 pins. EGS is German for Elektr, Getriebe Steuerung = electr. transmission control, AGS = Adaptive Getriebe Steuerung = adaptive transmission control.
    The gear selector switch is also different, AGS have a selector switch in yellow color, EGS are white, different p/n.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Both switch identical the difference is one more pin in 3 position switch. What should I do with that yellow wire in TS pin 3 not connected to TCU pin 7 do you have any idea ? I did a mistake when I was checking that wire between TPS and TCU yellow wire it’s connected. Sorry about that misunderstanding !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-10-2023 at 07:48 AM. Reason: TPS

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Checking Engine ECU

1) Checking engine ECU by checking current limiting time controls in ECU for primary ignition to charge a primary side of coil.

2) How do you measure current limiting time in dwell section ?

3) Engine ECU turns current ON time and turns current OFF time.

4) In primary side that particular current limiting time controls the engine ECU ON and OFF how do you check that ? Where do we look for current limiting time ?

5) How do we know current limiting time information in time ON and OFF if we would like to check that ?

6) Those important questions you should check with your car if you want fix engine firing problem. Usually the engine ECU works well with that. Before you doing tune up first of all check your engine ECU without checking the engine ECU you will keep doing tune up for many times and can not fix engine firing in combustion camber.
    Drivers in the ECU can be too slow and also capacitors in the engine ECU could cause problems such as not to charge capacitors properly and also diodes could be open circuit both ways !
    1) The coil must turn off cleanly less than 100 microseconds. If not the magnetic field in the primary collapses too slowly to fully energize the secondary windings and spark energy will be weak !

20220403-1711-1.jpg
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-10-2023 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Conventional Ignition Coil

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Those marks with white circle. The ramps not complete a ground circle like others is that tell us the engine has lean condition mixture and has a bad secondary wires and has wiring connection problem between the automatic transmission TCU and TPS and the engine ECU causing error in the engine ECU system to control properly throttle position plate angle and makes timing very early by sending wrong voltage signals to the DME from the TCM through the TPS.
    Engine ECU driver problem.jpg
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Engine ECU

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Engine ECU pin 54 has no wire connect it to between engine ECU and Valve Body lock up solenoid witch is go to valve body and from valve body goes to Transmission TCU pin 25 lock up clutch solenoid and also no signal from Transmission TCU to TPS t3 and scanner throw the code 54 from DME/DDE.
    I did double check that wire is connected to pin 54 of the engine ECU and Transmission TCU pin 25. That was my fault with that check sorry about that !
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:33 AM. Reason: TCM

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    How to make it each injector connected separately to the engine ECU individual pins then will be each injectors firing at the same time when spark plug firing. When three injectors firing individually at the same time when one spark firing at the time it is not good it makes intake manifold wet with gasoline inside and cause engine misfire in this case needs to adjust AFM to lean mixture by tightening AFM tension springs clockwise. Makes AFM tension spring more tight it will make flap door opens harder with the air coming in to throttle inlet what is make fuel mixture lean and injectors will be spraying less fuel. For an example spark plugs firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 and injectors will follow firing 1-5-3-6-2-4 this way should be good but when spark plug of the cylinder number one is firing then two more injectors 1 and 5 is firing with cylinder number one. If cylinder number 3 spark plug is firing at the same time injector number 3 is also firing at the same time and two more injectors 1 and 5 is also firing at the same time which is waste of gasoline when one spark plug firing for each cylinder.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 10-21-2023 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Injectors

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    Could cause the engine misfire two shift solenoids MV1 and MV2 in valve body of automatic transmission zf4hp22eh ? No. Could cause the engine ECU misfire code 54 which is converter clutch drive position switch ? Yes. The TPS pin 5 causes the code 54 stored in the engine ECU.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Pressure line solenoid

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    How to make it each injector connected separately to the engine ECU then will be each injectors firing at the same time when spark plug firing.
    The original design is perfect. I would not change anything! Because you can only make it worse. Bad fuel consumption, misfiring, cat destruction by flooded fuel etc ,even it might fire when valves are open.

The Motronic ECU contains a fuel map with an injector opening time for basic conditions of speed and load. Information is then gathered from engine sensors such as the AFS, CAS, CTS, and TS. As a result of this information, the ECU will look-up the correct injector pulse duration right across the engine rpm, load and temperature range. The injectors are arranged in two banks with injectors 1, 3 and 5 or 2, 4 and 6 (6 cylinder) making up the other bank. Each bank is connected to the ECU via an independent ECU pin. The Motronic 1.1 & 1.3 multi-point injection system pulses the injectors semi-sequentially and once every two engine revolutions. During engine start-up below 600 rpm the ECU pulses all injectors simultaneously. Once 600 rpm has been attained and if the ECU has received a signal from the CID sensor, each injector bank will be pulsed alternatively according to which pair of cylinders are approaching TDC. If a signal is not received from the CID sensor the injectors will remain on simultaneous operation. However, if the CID sensor subsequently sends a signal to the ECU after the engine has commenced running, the ECU will pulse the injectors semi-sequentially after the next deceleration phase - even if the CID sensor then ceases to send a signal. During start-up from cold, injector pulse duration is increased to provide a richer air/fuel mixture and pulse frequency is also increased. In addition, the ignition timing is also retarded. Injector frequency & pulse duration and degree of timing retard depend upon the engine temperature both during start-up and immediately afterwards. If the engine is restarted within one minute of the first start occurance, less overall fuel is injected to reduce the risk of fuel flooding into the engine.
    AFS
    ATS is mounted in the AFS inlet tract and measures the air temperature before it enters the inlet manifold. Because the density of air varies in inverse proportion to the temperature, the ATS signal allows more accurate assessment of the volume of air entering the engine. However, the ATS has only a minor correcting effect on ECU output. The open circuit supply to the sensor is at a 5.0 volt reference level and the earth path is through the AFS earth return circuit.
    The ATS operates on the NTC principle. A variable voltage signal is returned to the ECU based upon the air temperature. This signal is approximately 2.0 to 3.0 volts at an ambient temperature of 20° C and reduces to about 1.5 volt as the temperature rises to around 40° C.

CAS
    The CAS in the early Motronic system utilised two sensors to provide speed and position signals to the ECU. However, in M1.1/1.3 the primary signal to initiate both ignition and fuelling emanates from a single CAS mounted in proximity to the flywheel.The CAS consists of an inductive magnet that radiates a magnetic field. A number of steel pins are set into the periphery of the flywheel at 10 intervals. As the flywheel spins, and the pins are rotated in the magnetic field, an AC voltage signal is delivered to the ECU to indicate speed of rotation. In addition, a reference mark to TDC also indicates crankshaft position as the flywheel spins. The peak to peak voltage of the speed signal (when viewed upon an oscilloscope) can vary from 5 volts at idle to over 100 volts at 6000 rpm. Because computers prefer their data as on/off signals, an analogue to digital converter transforms the AC pulse into a digital signal.

CTS
    CTS is immersed in the coolant system and contains a variable resistance that operates on the NTC principle. When the engine is cold, the resistance is quite high. Once the engine is started and begins to warm-up, the coolant becomes hotter and this causes a change in the CTS resistance. As the CTS becomes hotter, the resistance of the CTS reduces (NTC principle) and this returns a variable voltage signal to the ECU based upon the coolant temperature.
    The open circuit supply to the sensor is at a 5.0 volt reference level and this voltage reduces to a value that depends upon the resistance of the CTS resistance. Normal operating temperature is usually from 80° to 100° C.
    The ECU uses the CTS signal as a main correction factor when calculating ignition timing and injection duration.

TS
    In case of LOS: substitute values, restricted engine operation

So, if you want to do such a strange thing, then disconnect the CID cylinder identification sensor aka donut. And I am sure, you will quickly re-connect it to original design.

Could cause engine misfire two shift solenoids MV1 and MV2 in valve body of automatic transmission zf4gp22eh ?
    no
    Last edited by shogun; 05-11-2022 at 12:42 AM.

My Cars
    1990/02 BMW 735iA M30B35
    I found in my car not original engine ECU. The engine ECU from 1988 year but engine was running on that ECU. I did not put that ECU that ECU not working anymore. I put it engine ECU from 1989 year same model. When I bought the car someone changed the engine ECU to 1.1 Motronic so it is also working without any problems but only one option was not available in this ECU that was A/C switch not available and stomp test. Probably original engine ECU was fail to work and some of the mechanics changed ECU. Can code number 54 come from bad engine ECU ? Could code number 54 come from bad TPS sensor ? Yes. Bad wiring connection between the TPS and the engine ECU. If the TPS pin 5 wire brown/black remove from the TPS harness plug then code 54 not coming anymore to the scanner and not stored in the engine ECU. So TPS wire brown/black cause the engine ECU send code 54 to the scanner and caused the engine misfire.
    Last edited by Annddrriy; 01-10-2024 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Code 54

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast