Thread: OBD1 scanner

My Cars
    1987 325seta

OBD1 scanner

Hey folks, happy holidays!

Quick enquiry. I had an intermittent CEL that has decided to remain stoic. I thought it might sort itself out as I moved through my intake cleanse, but nothing has gotten it to stay off. I prefer to know exactly what my car is telling me, so I'm thinking of cutting to the chase and sourcing an OBD scanner.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a unit? I see at least 5 options on Amazon, all with varying prices and ratings and interfaces. Is there an ultimate answer to help decide which device to acquire? I doubt I need anything as "fancy" as what a dealer might have, but I'd rather get something that has integrity.

Thanks for your time, as always!

My Cars
    1987 325is, 2006 Z4 3.0i
    I got the Foxwell elite one for my Z4 which is OBDII and it has an adapter for the E30 OBD1 that I got. I’m all honesty I haven’t tried it on the E30 yet but it worked great on the Z4. It was pretty useful for checking/deleting codes and doing diagnostics. I’ll check how it works after Christmas and report back.
    Merry Christmas!

dj Roo
    ‘87 325is, ‘06 Z4

My Cars
    1998 e36
    There are no fault codes in Motronic 1.0

Here is the example on how to use modern scan tool on Motronic 1.1 and newer

https://youtu.be/1bRQkQjGQgE
    Last edited by hakentt; 12-25-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: video added

My Cars
    1987 325seta
    I'm pretty sure the Super ETA is right at the cusp, should be Motronic 1.1+. I have a Throttle Control Switch, not Module, and I believe the latter mentioned module is a product of the older generation. I've verified that I have the "S"eta, through the simple inspection of the higher RPMs on the tachometer.

I have several OBDII readers due to having a 2001 Volvo (one would not reset the SRS... the other does), so I'll check into whether there are any adapters for them. The wagon is also right at the cusp of the previous generation, seems to be something I can't get away from in my vehicles.

The Foxwell Elite might be a tad out of my current price range, but I do enjoy that interface. I'd probably splurge for something like this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ft-bushing-kit before I'll grab an OBD at that range, but that all depends on what other logical devices are available.

Thanks for the input, folks!

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGE30 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Super ETA is right at the cusp, should be Motronic 1.1+. I have a Throttle Control Switch, not Module, and I believe the latter mentioned module is a product of the older generation. I've verified that I have the "S"eta, through the simple inspection of the higher RPMs on the tachometer.

I have several OBDII readers due to having a 2001 Volvo (one would not reset the SRS... the other does), so I'll check into whether there are any adapters for them. The wagon is also right at the cusp of the previous generation, seems to be something I can't get away from in my vehicles.

The Foxwell Elite might be a tad out of my current price range, but I do enjoy that interface. I'd probably splurge for something like this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ft-bushing-kit before I'll grab an OBD at that range, but that all depends on what other logical devices are available.

Thanks for the input, folks!

there are no obd readers for an e30.

later cars had the diagnostic port in the engine bay to fit a very specific bmw reader / tool that returned little information, if any. the stomp codes are more useful in the later cars. every once in a while one of those readers turns up on ebay. i've no idea if they still make one new.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post

later cars had the diagnostic port in the engine bay to fit a very specific bmw reader / tool that returned little information, if any. the stomp codes are more useful in the later cars. every once in a while one of those readers turns up on ebay. i've no idea if they still make one new.
    I think you are addressing the Peake Research code reading tool. They are out of production/business closed now.
    Bavarian Autosport sold a version with their name on it.
    There was one FS in these Forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 325seta
    Man, what was I reading that insinuated there were codes to pull? Thanks for clearing that thought, hah!

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post

Not true.
    1987+ Motronic 1.3 has full diagnostic support, you can read the codes and sensor data with snap on solus scanner, I have it. Stomp test can also be performed.

My Cars
    1987 325seta
    hakentt, that is still OBDI, yes? I'm not seeing any Solus scanners with the classic plug, so I presume a simple adapter is necessary.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Not true.
    1987+ Motronic 1.3 has full diagnostic support, you can read the codes and sensor data with snap on solus scanner, I have it. Stomp test can also be performed.

have an 89 and the port returns no info.

the reader uses an adapter for the round port in the engine bay. the original reader only had a series of lights that would work almost the same as the stomp test. the aftermarket reader does not accept how the info is coded.

the peake reader is the scan tool built specific for the e30. it plugs in to the diagnostic port in the engine bay. it doesn't return much for info past what a stomp test does. it can reset check lights though.

edit: if the solus works that would be the first one i've heard of that does. the forums are littered with folk who can't get a reader to work even with the adapter. the newer peake readers use a led number output now. the original to the e30's just had a couple lights which flashed in sequence.
    Last edited by 82eye; 12-24-2021 at 07:10 PM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    i checked on a solus. it's only 3 grand local.
    for that it better read. is 3k worth it ?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I made a video to prove Snap On scanner works on OBD1 E30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRQkQjGQgE

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    I made a video to prove Snap On scanner works on OBD1 E30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRQkQjGQgE
    nice.

it's too bad there isn't a cheaper tool. price puts it out range for just using on one car. i could justify it if i had a 3 or so cars i wanted to keep around, assuming i ever get to that level of cash lol
    Last edited by 82eye; 12-27-2021 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    1987 325seta
    Legit, thanks for the holiday video hakentt! Cool to know that one works, a little sad to realize that, as 82eye says, the only likely viable option sits at that range. Nevertheless, it's great that Motronic 1.3 is capable of communicating with a 3rd-party device.

In my case of relevancy, if RealOEM is 100% accurate then I've confirmed that I have Motronic 1.1. Also sadly, this confirms why my stomp test was not working, and I now believe this insinuates my vehicle could never handshake with a proper OBD reader. Unless there is another secret method to pulling codes, I will have to look forward to the day one of my random fixes cancels out the CEL.