Thread: 1995 318is Crank no fuel pump no spark.

My Cars
    1992 325i, 1995 318is

1995 318is Crank no fuel pump no spark.

Its just as it sounds, no fuel pump no spark. I recently purchased this non-running 318is for quite a steal. the car started soon as I showed up to purchase it but would not start soon after. Not hearing the fuel pump prime lead me to believe that either the pump or the electronics failed leading it to not start. I brought the car home and immediately threw a good pump in, nothing. I just wired a new "fuel pump harness" (Idk what else to call it) with a 4 prong relay and the pump primed fine, went to start the car and nothing... just cranked. I grabbed a spark tester and found that all 4 cylinders did not have spark, i checked all of the fuses with a multimeter. Any ideas?

sorry if there is another thread on this, I was unable to find one/

Thanks!!!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    You mentioned electronics! If a new pump installed, and still a no go, Hmmm? But it did run upon purchase! Start spending the BMW...no, it's not a BM waste, you just have to find the fault and you will. Please let us know after 4 posts...maybe?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Hey Egalesail, stop spamming the forum with your useless blabbering!

Alfreydo, you tested this used pump? You didn't say new? You may need a new Camshaft sensor, sometimes its t Crankshaft sensor. You should do the fuel filter and relay as well.

If you put a new pump be sure to put a few gallons of fresh gas. Don't put too much gas if you intend to open the tank again, it can spill onto the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also put the battery on a charger and check that the terminals are clean and tight.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e36
    Confirm if 12V is at fuel pump plug when starting, if not, get wiring diagram and use it to see what the cause could be and find it. Same with spark. If that is beyond your capabilities you'll likely not solve this and need to bring it to a mechanic.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Eric93se. I am not here to slam this forum.... and my posts here are not useless blabbering! You seem quite voiced here reminding everyone upon your every post with warnings of a certain parts vendor but ever actually give the poster an answer, but only as a forum for hate towards the parts vendor. I've been here a while too Eric93se! I'm here for questions and also give my knowledge the best I can. Sorry if you don't like the minor humor I injected upon this posters questions. Lighten up my fellow BMW friend, our lives are shorter for quality than we may have. Good luck, and Merry Christmas and a stress less new year.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    And a merry Rockauto to you!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    If you need a wiring diagram let me know. That wire for the fuel pump runs under the driver side carpet from the firewall back up the rear seat. There is also a ground distribution block under the driver seat carpet as well. Interior must be disassembled to access it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XnWarden; 12-24-2021 at 11:44 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i
    check you harmonic balancer/crank pulley. the rubber in the middle wears out over time. causing a wobble which in "turn" comprimises the alignment with the crank sensor.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    good point, in another forum someone had also a wobbling pulley and that caused problems with the crankshaft sensor, he always had a fault code of a bad crankshaft sensor
    https://www.continental-industry.com...nose-Cause.pdf
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1992 325i, 1995 318is
    Crank position sensor is my next idea. I have another E36 that i pulled a perfectly working fuel pump out of and wired it off the battery, the pump works fine and sends plenty of fuel pressure, just a spark issue now.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think this would cause a failure to send electricity to the fuel pump as well? i don't know is it is supposed to prime in the on position or if it primes on crank.

- - - Updated - - -

If you need a wiring diagram let me know. That wire for the fuel pump runs under the driver side carpet from the firewall back up the rear seat. There is also a ground distribution block under the driver seat carpet as well. Interior must be disassembled to access it.

i bypassed all of the stock wiring for simplicity, I used the ignition switch and a 4 prong relay to send power to the pump.

My Cars
    1992 325i, 1995 318is
    Update!!!

One of my friends informed me of the 'fusible link' and that a faulty fusible link would cause a lack of spark and power to the fuel pump. The fusible link is located in the trunk coming off of the smaller wire connecting to the positive terminal. After pulling off all of the heat shrink I used my multimeter to see if it was continuous from one side to the next and sure enough is wasn't! Got the part off of pelican and the car started right up.