My Cars
    2016 BMW X5 35d

X5 F15 tailgate/camera intermittent failure

tailgate works occasionally... it will click open with fob or door switch but must be manually opened and closed. Sometimes after being garaged for 12+ hrs it works fine. In addition, sometimes has a Hard (bang) closure. Periodic rear camera failure. The right/rear fender well containing the electronics is clean and dry, never any moisture or water. Pushing the tailgate closure button gives a short bop, as if the lower portion of tailgate was not closed. All fuses have been checked and are okay. I suspect the sensors in the lower tailgate latch... Is it latch failure. I am quite certain the power lift arms are okay as when it does operate they both fully respond normally. What are my next steps? I understand the cover for the tailgate latch is difficult to remove.
    SPUDOMATIC

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport

My Cars
    2016 BMW X5 35d
    I believe it is a sensor issue with the lower tailgate. Why? Occasionally the tailgate works normally on a continuous basis, ie. until I open and close the lower portion of the tailgate then everything goes off in different ways as mentioned in my first post. Also if I move the wiring harness from the battery compartment to lower tailgate, tail lights may flash/ beep, etc. That is why I believe it may be a partially disconnected harness, frayed wiring harness or faulty tailgate latch. The F15 model moved the latch to the lower tailgate unit. I would have removed the lower tailgate cover, but a u-tube video illustrated how difficult it was to remove without breaking the plastic cover or the attachment clips!

My Cars
    2016 BMW X5 35d
    My mechanic fixed the problem to the lower tailgate. The problem was frayed wires due to inadequate armor & fastening of the wiring harness. This is a factory fault and engineering should be improved for the harness. I would have fixed it myself but was afraid of breaking cladding clips to the plastic cover, which would add greatly to the overall cost. Thanks to my mechanic who specializes in BMW fixes and knows how to release the plastic clips on the cover without breaking them...