Thread: Boxer swap e46?

My Cars
    2003 bmw 325iT

Boxer swap e46?

My e46 wagon is bone stock. And I’ve been thinking about turning it into something special. I just was looking to see if anyone knew if it would be possible to swap the drivetrain out of a brz/86 into it. I have no clue if would fit properly

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Those motors are really wide, so you'd need to check clearance between the frame rails. Also may have issues with the oil pan clearing the steering and subframe.

I really don't see why you would, those motors aren't that amazing. Lot of trouble to go through to get as much horsepower as a stock M54B30 and a lot less torque.
    Last edited by AdamBath; 12-15-2021 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 bmw 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    Those motors are really wide, so you'd need to check clearance between the frame rails. Also may have issues with the oil pan clearing the steering and subframe.

I really don't see why you would, those motors aren't that amazing. Lot of trouble to go through to get as much horsepower as a stock M54B30 and a lot less torque.
    I know it’s not much power I’ve just been thinking about doing something different than the common swaps I see and my wagon need a news trans to begin with so I figured might as well go all out and do something I might be able to figure out a little better. My bmw knowledge isn’t much as I’ve only had this one but I absolutely loved the car until I had to park it and I’m just not sure if the trans is salvageable and the motor is starting to get old

My Cars
    2003 bmw 325iT
    Mostly my biggest thing isn’t even power. I’m mostly looking for something fun. The bimmer gave me plenty of it but it’s been parked for about 8 months now and I’d like to keep it around and it be something I can go cruise in. I just don’t want to do the common swaps that everyone does

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Are you a fabricator with prior experience doing driveline swaps? Because you're going to have to re-engineer the whole front half of the car to pull that off.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    If you did this... it would be amazing.. though you need to be sure you can commit bc this can spiral out of control quick!

I can think of other pursuits but yolo mofo

- - - Updated - - -

Just the idea sounds insane

My Cars
    z3
    "My transmission went out so I want to do a never before done swap, with an engine that makes less power than stock, just because its unique, even though I've never done anything close to this type of swap before" is definitely an... interesting thought process... to say the least

The issues other people have mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. Going to be hard to fit a steering shaft through a cylinder head or the block. V engines are hard enough to fit a steering shaft in place, but at least on those the second bank is angled so you can fit the shaft under it. All in all, this swap has no upsides but there are multiple downsides and many very expensive hurdles. To even fit the engine in place, will cost probably 3-4x as much as just replacing the transmission on the E46. And that's assuming you do the fabrication work yourself and isn't even accounting for electrical stuff - which btw, I am pretty sure you'd be on your own to figure out, as nobody else is attempting such a swap

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    "My transmission went out so I want to do a never before done swap, with an engine that makes less power than stock, just because its unique, even though I've never done anything close to this type of swap before" is definitely an... interesting thought process... to say the least

The issues other people have mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. Going to be hard to fit a steering shaft through a cylinder head or the block. V engines are hard enough to fit a steering shaft in place, but at least on those the second bank is angled so you can fit the shaft under it. All in all, this swap has no upsides but there are multiple downsides and many very expensive hurdles. To even fit the engine in place, will cost probably 3-4x as much as just replacing the transmission on the E46. And that's assuming you do the fabrication work yourself and isn't even accounting for electrical stuff - which btw, I am pretty sure you'd be on your own to figure out, as nobody else is attempting such a swap
    All true. Would also just like to point out that Subaru engines are really mediocre, even with some help from Toyota on the cylinder heads. They're not very strong, they don't hold up well to abuse, they're just not a great platform. I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Just the strange factor would be worth it. But yes it seems so outlandish. But the Russians weld cars and engines together all the time lol. I'm forever an i6 fan no other engine will feel the same as the i6 u got. It would be easier to go with a 3.0 m54b30 and much better
    Last edited by Sleepyhead97; 12-17-2021 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Here's some strange factor for you. Purists will hate it. I personally consider it a marriage of both my automotive loves. There have been and continue to be some engineering hurdles to overcome. Progress is slow but the project is moving forward. Be prepared to have some setbacks, and LOTS more money to spend than you initially planned/figured. The end result will be very fulfilling and rewarding.

525-550whp and 375-ish ft/lbs of torque. A significant weight savings over an iron I6 making similar power and a car that's a blast to drive.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    So much room for activities, love it.

My Cars
    z3
    What engine is that? Looks Honda K20ish but a little different...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    So much room for activities, love it.
    Agreed. And the CG moves a good bit towards the back.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    What engine is that? Looks Honda K20ish but a little different...
    Good eye. K20A2 from a 2002-2004 Acura RSX Type S.