Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Value of Paint Condition

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by petro55 View Post
    I am working with a reputable shop, the top of the fenders where the sun was hitting is lighter than the side of fenders.

That is me being picky and without respraying the hood I could not have anticipated that small mismatch.

When I purchased my car I knew it needed this done. The previous owner priced it roughly $5k lower.

It was a west coast 1 owner 100k miles, BMW enthusiast, paid $10.5 summer 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    $10.5k for 100k miles in 2021 is an absolute steal - that's not even half price. $5k off still should have been $15-17k. That's a killer deal.

Overall, I could not be in more agreement on finding a good paint shop. I have several little paint issues I've decided to just live with since finding a good place is such a crap shoot.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I have several little paint issues I've decided to just live with since finding a good place is such a crap shoot.
    Same here...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    Same here...
    Luckily POR15 is black, so I've just put a dab on bare metal and haven't had any rust issues

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I went the route of buying a cheap rusty e36 M3 and had it fixed up professionally. To line it out, in 2018 I purchased a 129k mile 1999 coupe, Alpine White over Sand Beige for $8,000. The car needed a re-ballanced drive shaft and had rust bad enough to require a new trunk lid and a bunch of work around the tail lights and under the trunk lid piece. The drive shaft cost $450 to replace and the paint job and trunk lid replacement was done for $3,500 by an excellent small independent shop that does all the classic Euro cars in the area. Over all, I ended up spending very close to my estimation of what the car would have been worth had I found a clean one that didn't need paint work.

I still battle rust with the car, but it is my own darn fault for daily driving it in the heavily salted snow belt all winter long.

People are generally pretty good at figuring out what a car should be worth. If it just needs the clear coat touched up in an area, there should be a shop that can blend and re spray the effected area without shooting the whole car.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    I'm highly considering putting my M3/2/5 up for sale. The interior is damn good with a few flaws, and tasteful engine/performance mods, all of which can be unbolted and retuned to stock, are in good condition. The main issue is the paint condition. Beneath the rear quarter windows, the clear is starting to fade/chip on that small 1/2" ledge below the rubber seal, and on the C pillars, the clear is again fading. Considering from a driving perspective the car is exactly what you want in the car, how much does the less than total quarter square foot of affected paint depreciate the cars value?
    I have a '98.5 Estoril that has some small scratches on the roof. Problem is to paint the roof, you have to do the C pillars, quarters, and blend into the doors. I was quoted $7500 to do that pre-Covid - who knows now with all the nutty pricing on everything. Full respray quote was $12k to $15k. That used to be the value of the car, so I've just left it alone and continue to enjoy the it. Some day, I'll do a full respray when I have the time to take everything apart before delivering it to the bodyshop.

Get some estimates for repair from your local bodyshops and figure that into your sale price. As others have said, pics would help.

My Cars
    2010 bmw 650i
    I'm new and dont know how to start a thread here so I am replying to yours, sorry in advance.

I have a 2010 650 azurschwart blue / black. The clearcoat scratches easy ans is really scratched. Can I have a painter sand and apply new clearcoat over the old?

Every time they detail they just claybar or sand the cuurent soft clearcoat and it microscratches up in a few months.

Thanks for any input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12