Thread: N55 Bootmod3 flash failing at 1%, car inoperable

My Cars
    2017 X5 sDrive

Unhappy N55 Bootmod3 flash failing at 1%, car inoperable

What's up ya'll, seeing if anyones experienced this issue while trying to flash their N55 using Bootmod3. The car is bone stock btw, no JB4 or anything like that.

Today, after a month of research and going back and forth with sales, I bought a Bootmod3 license for my 2017 X5 sDrive with M Sport option (sport transmission, exhaust, aero, etc.). Installed the latest OBD agent for Mac, set up my ip address accordingly, disabled my firewall and bluetooth, and connected to the vehicle successfully using enet cable with usb-c adapter. I've used this equipment combination for BimmerCode, BimmerLink and ESYS for years now with no issues.

While trying to flash an OTS 91 octane tune, the installation failed at 1% (clearing error codes stage of installation). I followed the instructions provided to reinstall the OEM map but that failed too. The message reads something to the effect of "Failed: flash was not successful, cycle start button 3 times, ensuring firewalls are disabled", you get the point.

Just to clarify, the door was closed, seatbelt was fastened, and battery was on charger reading between 12.2-12.4V. After what must've been 20 attempts (changing one variable at a time and trying different combinations) I'm all out of ideas and the vehicle is currently inoperable. Those 20 attempts exercised changes such as: different ip configs, different web browsers, tried a PC with no usb-c adapter, tried an iPad, disabled Chrome firewall, reinstalled OBD agent, restarted computers, unplugged vehicle battery for 10-20 minutes, tried all flash methods available in Bootmod3, etc.

I've read about pre-2020 models having better luck with the DME being unlocked from the factory, so I took my chances. Is there any definitive way to know if my DME is locked? The current DME software ID is 000019dc-001.079.002. If it is locked, there's a Boost Logic here in Austin but I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding availability and specifics. I also submitted a ticket with protuningfreaks but I'm not expecting an answer until after the weekend.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    000019dc-001.079.002 is most definitely the OBD locked bootloader of the software. This is why you cannot load the tune. This IS the definitive answer.

This bootloader version was first introduced in the 03/2019 packs, so if your vehicle had an update since then, it would have this.

You should be able to get back to full stock and run your vehicle, no?
    If not, I can recover it remotely for you with esys. Sent me a PM or post your email or something.

You shouldn't have tried 20 times, as it's potentially possible to fill up the flash counters that way.

To be able to tune your DME, you will need the bench unlock first and then you can use BM3 for it.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2017 X5 sDrive
    Thanks for your response, Abel. I'll send you a PM with my contact information.

After the very first failed attempt, I tried re-flashing the stock map and re-locking the DME as per Bootmod3 troubleshooting instructions, but did not succeed. I only tried so many times because the condition didn't seem to worsen with each attempt, but you're 100% correct. It's definitely better to stop around 3 attempts and take a different approach/seek professional help.

Just as a note to everybody, both Kies Motorsports and Bootmod3 say that even if your DME is locked, you will still be able to push an aftermarket map to your ECU. Although this may have been the case previously, it doesn't seem to be anymore. If Bootmod3 displays a message saying your DME is locked but you can still flash it, ignore this message and get your DME unlocked before attempting to flash it.

I'll reply with the solution once one is met.

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5 35i
    Let me know what you find. I have exact same year model BMW with same BTLD 000019dc-001.079.002. I too am trying to use MHD or BootMod3. Let us know what protuningfreaks says. I’m also in Texas

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbomaxxx View Post
    Let me know what you find. I have exact same year model BMW with same BTLD 000019dc-001.079.002. I too am trying to use MHD or BootMod3. Let us know what protuningfreaks says. I’m also in Texas
    I recovered his car to stock, remotely, on Monday evening. It was definitely the locked bootloader. Do not attempt to flash if it's not bench unlocked first. You will require a rescue otherwise.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2017 X5 sDrive
    Bootmod3 responded on Sunday but wasn't of much help since they kept telling me to do things I told them I already tried. They were scheduled to remote into the car eventually but Abel (328 Power 04) beat them to it and did a fantastic job recovering the DME remotely.

The Bootmod3 program will tell you that if your DME requires a bench unlock, you can still try to flash it and that if it fails, you'll be able to revert to stock. Since that method was an epic fail in my particular case, I'd strongly advise against it. Getting your DME unlocked isn't difficult or expensive, lesson learned for sure.

As for Boost Logic here in Austin, they never replied to my email so I called and they said they don't work on cars anymore so disregard them on Bootmod3's list of authorized vendors.

Next step will be to unlock the DME and try Bootmod3 again.
    - Ednir

Current: Austin Yellow F82 6MT, F15 X5
    Previous: F30 328i xDrive
    I01 i3 REx
    E92 328i sDrive

My Cars
    BMW f15 x5
    328_power

Can you help me out too? I’m in the same boat stuck after failed bootmod flash

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
    328_power

Can you help me out too? I’m in the same boat stuck after failed bootmod flash
    Sorry for the delay, I had a busy weekend.

Sure, send me a PM or leave some sort of contact info.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bmw x5 F15
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post

Can you please help me out too? I'm on the same boat after the bootmod3 failed.. I should have done more research before doing..

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Oh, missed that post

Please send PM with contact info
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2014 BMW F30 335i
    Hey man, im new to these post and bmw in general. I have a 2014 335 and im having a very similiar issue multiple failed attempts to flash car, stock tune or stage 2. Car isnt starting either. Also having difficulties connecting to bootmod3 obd agent. Any info would be great help. This is m my email rolando1357@yahoo.com

Thankyou

My Cars
    E93 335i & E90 318d LCI

Hi buddy, i did try PMing you too but not sure it's sending. Hope you don't mind me tagging on

Hi bud, sorry if you get this twice - it wasn't showing as sent on my end and realised i didnt add a screenshot.

This must be the 6th car i've tuned (or tried to tune) in this case, i've never once had an issue until now. Car is a 2018 M4 Comp. Trying to flash the GTS Map (for now) - although the same error happens with any map, or back to stock.

I'm was using the black wifi adaptor + iPhone. MHD is showing the ECU as unlocked and good to tune. I can read codes. I get about 10 seconds into the flash and it says unable to erase memory - about 20 seconds or so into the flash. I have uninstalled / reinstalled the app, left car overnight, cleared data off my phone and so on. Still no dice. Car is now dead and won't even attempt to start with an abundance of error codes.

I have since tried a friends iphone 15 pro max with a wired connection and an android tablet and yield the same results. I've tried every combination of battery charger on / off, seatbelt on / off, jumping another running vehicle, phone on flight mode / off flight mode, leaving battery disconnected and so on. The issue persists every time.

Any chance you would be able to help?

Thank you

My Cars
    BMW M2 Competition
    I recovered his car to stock, remotely, on Monday evening. It was definitely the locked bootloader. Do not attempt to flash if it's not bench unlocked first. You will require a rescue otherwise.
    Hi mate. I will pay anything for you to get my transmission back to stock. Car is currently not driveable due to GTS transmission tune failure and not being able to put the stock tune back in my M2 Comp. I would really appreciate your help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ednir98 View Post
    Bootmod3 responded on Sunday but wasn't of much help since they kept telling me to do things I told them I already tried. They were scheduled to remote into the car eventually but Abel (328 Power 04) beat them to it and did a fantastic job recovering the DME remotely.

The Bootmod3 program will tell you that if your DME requires a bench unlock, you can still try to flash it and that if it fails, you'll be able to revert to stock. Since that method was an epic fail in my particular case, I'd strongly advise against it. Getting your DME unlocked isn't difficult or expensive, lesson learned for sure.

As for Boost Logic here in Austin, they never replied to my email so I called and they said they don't work on cars anymore so disregard them on Bootmod3's list of authorized vendors.

Next step will be to unlock the DME and try Bootmod3 again.
    hi mate. Are you able to put me in contact with this wonderful man. I am having this transmission issue now and can’t drive the car. I would truly appreciate your help so much

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hello mitchnaylor,

Post your email address and I'll reach out ASAP.
    Usually on the M2 Competition transmission the CS flash is more suitable vs. GTS.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2018 BMW M3
    Hello mitchnaylor,

Post your email address and I'll reach out ASAP.
    Usually on the M2 Competition transmission the CS flash is more suitable vs. GTS.
    Hello I have the same problem as ednir98 my car will not flash an OTS 93 octane tune, the installation failed at 1% (clearing error codes stage of installation). I followed the instructions aswell provided to reinstall the OEM map but that failed too. The message reads something to the effect of "Failed: flash was not successful, cycle start button 3 times, ensuring firewalls are disabled". Can you please be of any help 328 Power 04. I am also located in houston tx I really need some help solving this issue since its my only car for transporation.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hello Hasan T

Send me your email and I'll reach out. I can get you driving again.
    Your car may need to have a bench DME unlock first.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S