Thread: AKG bushings

My Cars
    1995 M3

AKG bushings

Hmmm. Transmission mounts, a few years old. They needed torque checked frequently. One looks ok. One:

AKG1.jpgAKG2.jpg

What other options? Does full aluminum risk frame/mount cracking? Everything is re-enforced.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe
    I had the exact same issue.

I replaced them with Vorshlag ones as Vorshlag ones have thick aluminum backing plates.

Enforcer cups would do the same thing I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3
    All these poly mounts might be inspect every 6 months replace every 2 years kinda thing.

Was just looking at the Vorshag ones, odd they say for non-M only.
    "Vorshlag E30/E36/Z3/E46/Z4/E82/E9x (non-M only) Competition Polyurethane Transmission mounts"

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I think I ended up with upgraded diff and engine mounts and stock transmission mounts after dealing with this issue. Tried enforcement cups and still wasn't happy with the longevity.

Now back to poly mounts due to LSx conversion. Doh!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Shopping for something other than AKG I guess.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Played the same game with the Vorshlag mounts. Tried 3 different kinds of thread locker, they still loosened up over time. FWIW, I'm running AKG 75D motor mounts. I switched to Rogue Engineering rubber trans mounts and they have been fantastic.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well booger. Maybe I'll buy something from FCPEuro and replace every year.
    $45 for some revshift 70D, WCGW?

rev.jpg

My Cars
    German ones
    Check out Rogue transmission mounts as mentioned above, I've been using them for full race use the last 2 seasons. Very happy with them. I'd combine them with solid rubber motor mounts as well, either Vibratechnics, BW or MSW. No issues with my CAE shifter either.

Edit: Consider them a wear item that gets replaced every year if full track/race use.
    Last edited by MPWRCPE; 12-08-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MPWRCPE View Post
    Check out Rogue transmission mounts as mentioned above, I've been using them for full race use the last 2 seasons. Very happy with them. I'd combine them with solid rubber motor mounts as well, either Vibratechnics, BW or MSW. No issues with my CAE shifter either.

Edit: Consider them a wear item that gets replaced every year if full track/race use.
    Good feedback on the Rogue's and shifter. My AKG red engine mounts stay torqued and no signs of any wear. I'll look at the Rogue's

My Cars
    87 325
    History will forever repeat itself.

Use a thin washer on top and bottom of the bushing that is the same diameter of the bushing (WASHER BUSHING SANDWICH), Then a Grade 12.9 bolt with grade 10 washer upwards through the trans brace to the transmission, Using 22-31-6-760-944 nut with a lock nut ontop.

If you don't double nut you will lose your hard ware, If you don't use sandwich washer you will crush your bushings obviously, and finally I've seen janky hardware break these brittle mounts and split the feet off the back of the trans. You need to make sure everything is sandwich'd to spread the load. Like most parts that are received, its good luck, and up to you to make sure they work out.

The rouge mounts are an upgrade if you don't need that stiff of a bushing, Also the Bimmerworld Road and track mounts work well in combo. Both good enough for chassis mounted shiftier too!.

If you have cracked the trans brace a few times, rally road sells a steel one..
    Last edited by Yahweh; 12-08-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Quality BMW service "street, track, race"?
    Email: ZakspeedRacer@gmail.com
    1999 BMW 318Ti/M Hellrot Msport DD/Fun car

1/2 1987 BMW 325is/M Future Spec e30 (track prep'd)
    1994 530It/A Alpinewise III Traded out
    1988 BMW 325ix/M Diamond Schwartz Recently sold :/
    1986 BMW 325e/m Bronzit Beige Metallic
    Get Involved!
    www.bluegrassbimmers.org
    OKI BMW Facebook group
    BMWCCA Member# 436428

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I had A LOT of good results with my Vorshlag orange (whatever durometer that is) poly trans and red engine mounts. I made a point of following the install instructions from Vorshlag on how to tighten them "just so". When I 1st installed the trans mounts, the vibrations were unacceptably high. But I had clearly tightened them too tight. Once I got the torque just right everything was ideal. And for those thinking that they'll lose the fasteners unless its super tight, Vorshlag uses nylock nuts. I never lost or had a single nut come loose.

If I recall correctly, you just tighten them until you can only just NOT turn the washer under the nut with your fingers, and then tighten about 1/4 turn more. That's all!

And my mounts have been on the car for about 9 years of autocross and hard driving. And I'm going to try them again with the turbo K20 swap, though I'm expecting they'll be too stiff for the high vibration I4 motor.
    Last edited by jakermac; 12-08-2021 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    What did AKG have to say? Most of their stuff is pretty good. I have their stout rear camber arms and have been really happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Hmmm. Transmission mounts, a few years old. They needed torque checked frequently.
    I personally use REVSHIFT Orange (solid) and haven't ever had a problem. I did notice that the heat from the motor and drivetrain helped to melt the washers into the polyurethane though.

EDIT: Everyone likes pics

Last edited by golgo13; 12-08-2021 at 02:45 PM.