Thread: Where does the seat base rock when the bushings are bad? (pic included)

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8

Where does the seat base rock when the bushings are bad? (pic included)

The saga of my seats continue.

VERY little rocking left. So I yanked it out and clamped it to the workbench. The top part of the slider moves slightly up and down (see screwdriver) when I rock it. The "rock" is vertical, so the upper half of the slider moves slightly up and down, not back/forth.

Is this where movement occurs when bushings are bad? The reason I never looked at this as an option is that I replaced the bushings about a year ago. Maybe I used crappy ones. I thought at the time that they were all the same.bushings02.jpgbushings01.jpg
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Just pulled the sliders. Bushings look intact but there is some "give" there. Not super snug.

bushings03.jpg

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    My seats slid back and forth not up and down.

My Cars
    Z3, Chevy PU, Acura TSX
    I just replaced my bushings a couple days ago. That wouldn't be for up or down movement since the bushing assembly is bolted to the lower frame. Those sliders look an awful lot like a kitchen drawer. If those are the OEM tolerances, you might have to live with it. It if isn't, I'd suspect the ball bearings in the sleeves -- except they hardly get used. Sorry not to be more help, sh

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by luthierwnc View Post
    I just replaced my bushings a couple days ago. That wouldn't be for up or down movement since the bushing assembly is bolted to the lower frame. Those sliders look an awful lot like a kitchen drawer. If those are the OEM tolerances, you might have to live with it. It if isn't, I'd suspect the ball bearings in the sleeves -- except they hardly get used. Sorry not to be more help, sh
    If there's a will, there's a way :-D

There is movement there, that was not there the day it rolled off the factory floor....

I have the sliders out now, and I'm working on a jig to bolt the seat down to my workbench so I can see if the movement changes based on seat position.

This will get fixed. It's driving me absolutely bonkers. A seat must have no movement.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I installed one of the first sets of bushings and that fixed the sliding. Or it brought to my attention the fact that the driver seat also lifts (rocks)on the right rear corner at hard stops (depends upon your point of view). After many years and way too many ins and outs of the seat, chasing everybody's latest 'fix'. I finally gave up and learned to live with it. Now if the movement went away I'd be majorly concerned and try to figure out how to get it back. Have fun down your rabbit hole. Don't forget your towel.
    Last edited by daven; 12-05-2021 at 09:20 PM.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    I'm taking my Planted Technologies seat base down to my "welding and fab guy" in the next few weeks. I'm going to see if I can have him chop it up and fix the (as far as I'm concerned pretty f#$%ing major) design flaw with it and actually put the seat dead-center. If he pulls it off I'm going to put the Sparco R100 back in. That seat just keeps you RIGHT THERE where you are through the turns in comparison to the stock seat.

If that happens, it'll trigger the other project of relocating the power top button to where the drives side seat heater used to be.

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    You've highlighted another flaw in the design of these seats (the fact that they esentially rely on tiny plastic bushings to not rock.

That particular flaw was handled in my seats last year. I straight up removed the cushion, drilled a hole and slapped a 12MM bolt through on each side.