Thread: 2006 e60 cranks but doesn’t start (no spark)

My Cars
    2006 530xi

2006 e60 cranks but doesn’t start (no spark)

Hey, hope you guys can help. I’ve read so many forums about this issue and tried a ton of different things, but I haven’t found the right answer yet.

My e60 cranks, but it won’t start. I’ve checked all of the fuses, and pulled codes using a bmw capable code scanner (which was junk). I also used a spark plug/coil tester tool and found that there was no spark at all. This was all pointing me to issues with the relay by the ecu and the EWS.

I replaced the relay with an oem part, but it didn’t make any change.

I tried using INPA to sync the ews, but INPA said it couldn’t connect to the control unit. I figure it might be the cable I bought from the obd website, although it works fine with ISTA+ and all other INPA functions that I tried.

I then borrowed a friends professional Launch scanner/programmer and was able to sync the ews…the message came back saying that the car should start now, but of course it doesn’t.

I am wondering if it could be the key being bad (launch saw it as key #4 so I don’t think it is the issue…I don’t have any other keys but don’t mind buying a valet key or something to see if it is the issue).

Launch still reports an EWS code and a code with the fuel pump.

2F44 - EWS preventing manipulation
    CDAA - Message (status crash deactivation electric fuel pump, 135)

I had to leave town and won’t be able to dig into the CDAA issue until Monday…although I did check fuel pressure at the rail and used Launch to test the injectors and manually turn on the pump).

Any thoughts? Everything seems to focus on the EWS right now, but I don’t want to get tunnel vision trying to troubleshoot. I’d really appreciate any help you guys could provide!

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Was the car in an accident? Looks like the crash module has deactivated the fuel pump. It may also disable ignition. You need to clear this code. You may need INPA/ISTA.
    Does car use fuel pump relay or EKPS module?

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    its the CAS not communicating with the EWS just had this done and at an Indi after it sat for months as I tried to figure it out

My Cars
    2004 BMW E60 530d
    hello, correctly probably the CAS needs to be restarted with inpa, had it last night was scared as f****, then just restarted it with inpa and int started immediately.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 550im sport
    Replace the ISM. Unless you want to save some bucks. Take apart the ISM (intergrated supply module) and look for broken solder on circuit card post with a magnifier 10x or 30x. Touch it with fresh solder once u located the issue. Before assembly make sure the fuses are good. Clear the codes. Disconnect positive cable from battery and ground it, this remove batt charge from the circuit. Make sure your battery is fully charge. Let her rip. My 08 550 had the aame issue, took me six months to figure out. Good luck!

My Cars
    2008 bmw 550im sport
    Replace the ISM INTERGRATED SUPPLY MODULE. This unit supply voltage to your starter via cas/ ecu. Mine has a broken solder on circuit card. I have to take apart to find it. I’ve use a magnifying glass 10x. Solder the post and clear codes. Charge my battery to full. Grounded postive cable off of the battery to clear unwanted voltage. Start the car and mofo runs smooth now. Took six months. ISM is in the engine bay passenger side.