Thread: Last details on the 850i revival

My Cars
    1997 528i E39

Post Last details on the 850i revival

Hey guys, I'm doing a full rebuilt on a 850i (E31), it's a 91 version, originally equipped with M70 engine and auto trans.
    This car was completely dissembled, someone, more than 15 years ago, tried to swap to LS or some other V8. Then the current owner bought and sent to a shop where they tried to make it work again with a V12 from a late E38 (M73) and 420g swap, but they couldn't make it run. And that's how this car was left abandoned for 12 years. Last year the car was sent to me, I made it run and drive again using a Fueltech (standalone ECU), and fewer adaptions for the tranny. People here in Brazil thought that this car would never run again! I really thank all of the information you guys shared online!

I'm in the final process of reassembling the car, it came from the last shop all in pieces

I have a few questions, that I couldn't figure it out myself even with the electrical diagram for the car.

Cluster temp doesn't work, well, the cluster it self works fine, I did the test.
    I tried to jump a wire between pins 4 and 20 on the X20 connector and nothing happend. Is there any advice before I dissemble the cluster to do a search for a broken wire?

I found lots of connectors that I couldn't discover where they connect,
    There’s one next to the filter housing, 2 pin connector, just like the oil pressure switch on the oil filter housing.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 11.28.45.jpeg

I have no idea the position on those connectors, because they are the same color and the same connector, does it matter? Since they are the same

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 11.28.45 (1).jpeg

On the rear, next to the left battery, those connectors have no where to go, I think it’s missing a module or something, does anyone can sent me a pic or a part numb?
    Both sides have this one pin connector which I have no idea what’s for.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 11.28.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 11.28.44 (1).jpeg

MID keeps displaying the message that the servotronic level fluid is low, but where is this sensor? How does the car knows that? I couldn’t find any sensor for it.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 11.41.18.jpeg

When you move the lever to make the steering wheel go up, it goes down, and when you try to make it go down, it goes up. But when you open and closes the door it works fine, when open the s/w goes up and when you close it go back to position. Is there any advice to fix it?

P.S.: I know lots of bmw owners are “OEM fanatics”, but all those swaps were the best way to get this giant baby running again, since we live in Latin America and the access to parts or donor cars is a lot harder. The 8er had no transmission nor motor, or even the ecus!
    1994 325i Coupe MT E36
    1997 528i Saloon MT Swap E39

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by lethy View Post

Cluster temp doesn't work, well, the cluster it self works fine, I did the test.
    I tried to jump a wire between pins 4 and 20 on the X20 connector and nothing happend. Is there any advice before I dissemble the cluster to do a search for a broken wire?

e
    " I did the test." read below...

the CLUSTER can be put in test mode where all lights turn on and all gauges go to full scale ..... This will check to see if cluster is fully functional.

Let me see if I can remember how to put CLUSTER in test. ((( I think you push in control with key on, w/o starting car ? ? ? )))

I'll look it up.

Here is a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ed1hf0pVGk

See if you can get ambient temperature displayed, in digital, during test.

See if you can get engine temperature displayed, in digital, during test.
    Last edited by CD05001CIA; 12-02-2021 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i E39
    I’m not sure if the 8 has all those menus on the cluster, I’ll check that. But I know that there’s a few on the mid, I’ll look for the codes and see if the mid shows me something.

My Cars
    1997 528i E39
    No success, no temp feature on the mid so far. And the cluster test I had done before, as I said on the first post.
    P.S.: no hidden menu on the cluster.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by lethy View Post
    I’m not sure if the 8 has all those menus on the cluster, I’ll check that. But I know that there’s a few on the mid, I’ll look for the codes and see if the mid shows me something.

Well it was worth a try. I guess you will have to set up a 1990's laptop computer with diagnostic software and connect to the round connector under the hood.
    Last edited by CD05001CIA; 12-03-2021 at 08:09 PM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    A Foxwell scanner NT-530 might work. I have the NT-510 which reads OBD1 and 2 systems. From what I see it looks like the 530 is the upgraded version. I didn't see anything specifically saying it will read OBD1 though. Might want to check with them. https://www.foxwelldiag.com