Thread: 2001 Z3 Trunk light switch

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3

2001 Z3 Trunk light switch

I assume there is a switch, but wonder where it is.. Manual wiring diagram that i have does not show a switch for the roadster?
    Can someone help me find it..I have removed the bulb, because the light appears to be on all the time, although I think that may be intermittent indicating a faulty switch - but where? Thanks
    john

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    There is no switch to turn the light on or off. The switch is built into the trunk lock (on when opened/off when closed)

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    ok, I thought maybe that but seemed the light did not go off. I need a little kid to stay in the trunk when i close it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Now I have worse problem. While working on trunk light and removing it to check, the hot wire grounded and blew the fuse. So--with the fuse box lid off, and apparently resting under the hood, I had to move the car and shut the hood - now it is stuck with the right side all the way down and the left not - so I cannot pull the release enuf to open the hood. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    Z3, Chevy PU, Acura TSX
    Stick your smartphone on movie mode and put it in the trunk. If the light goes off, you're golden. Also, be sure the trunk is truly closed. They can look closed but not have latched and the light will drain the battery -- happened to me last week. sh

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36 318i
    Try closing the hood properly by pressing down on it and then pull the release handle. Or ask someone to press down while you pull the release handle. Good luck

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    I have tried that with my 100lb wife but no luck. Will get beefier helper. The presence of the fuse box lid squished under there is likely the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

that is a great idea, will try it, first i must replace the fuse, and that is the real problem now , , ,

My Cars
    2K-Z3M and 2014 X1
    [QUOTE=jmotycka;30756415]I assume there is a switch, but wonder where it is.. Manual wiring diagram that i have does not show a switch for the roadster?
    Can someone help me find it..I have removed the bulb, because the light appears to be on all the time, although I think that may be intermittent indicating a faulty switch - but where? Thanks
    john[/QUOTE

I have a coupe and the hatch lock could be different than the roadster. There is a switch clip onto the hatch lock trigger the light. Here is a picture of the coupe hatch lock. The switch is in front of the lock on the first picture, silver color plate push up/down onto light switch. The switch clipped onto the hatch lock. I think the roadster should have a similar setup. I hope this is helpful.

Pic 1.jpg

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmotycka View Post
    Now I have worse problem. While working on trunk light and removing it to check, the hot wire grounded and blew the fuse. So--with the fuse box lid off, and apparently resting under the hood, I had to move the car and shut the hood - now it is stuck with the right side all the way down and the left not - so I cannot pull the release enuf to open the hood. Any suggestions?
    Had similar experience...The blown fuse (I think it was Fuse #33) will also impact the parking lights on the right side, license plate and interior light. I put electrical tape around the light hole so it would not happen again.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E36 318i
    I assume there is a switch, but wonder where it is.. Manual wiring diagram that i have does not show a switch for the roadster?
    Most vehicles have a small plunger switch for the boot, like a door switch that activate the roof light next to the lock mechanism. On my Toyota it is on the body next to the lock , but on my BMW the plunger switch is on the boot lid itself. If light is burning pres the plunger and light should go dead. If not the plunger switch get a lot of dirt and a easy clean will make proper contact again.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    There is a switch, it is built into the latch / lock. The small pin depresses a little push button in the lock - See the circled images below.

You can press the button with the tip of a small screw driver or even your key should fit. If it does not turn off the light, check the wiring on the left of the trunk lid as that is the most common failure point

lock2.jpegLock1.jpeg

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Now I have worse problem. While working on trunk light and removing it to check, the hot wire grounded and blew the fuse.
    ... said every single person who ever removed that light! Such a pain!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Gained a little more knowledge about my car this morning. I
    Had no idea where the trunk light switch was, never even thought about it to be honest. This is just a great forum.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    An Update.

I now know where the switch is, and it appears to be working. My reservation is that the po told me to watch out for the trunk light running down the btty, so he removed the bulb, Although it is working fine, I am reluctant to leave the bulb in ,might install a manual switch for the light.

Re the trunk I could not open, I gave up and took it to local dealer, they replaced the cable, stating that it was stretched and that makes all the sense to me. They got the hood open by removing the grill(s). They just snap in and out. I should have figured it out myself, but this car is pristine and I did not want to chance scratches or dents.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I would suspect one of the door striker switches to be the cause before I’d suspect the trunk. They eventually get out of alignment and bring on the dome light randomly. Use your camera to test the trunk light to be sure.
    Last edited by z3forlife; 12-03-2021 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    All, I realize the loom may have other issue or pending issues, but for now, is it safe to just remove the trunk light? I want to put my fuse 33 back in so I have proper marker lights and interior dome light working. NOTE; I pulled Fuse 33 and my battery didnt drain like it was prior to my knowledge about this.

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    Just leave the bulb out.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeperz View Post
    Just leave the bulb out.
    Thumbs up! Thank you