Thread: E36 M3 power steering cooler line/return hose retrofit related question

My Cars
    ...it depands

E36 M3 power steering cooler line/return hose retrofit related question

Hello,

I'm in need of replacing the PS cooling line as the getting rusted as well as hose line is also getting crusty.

And I'm wondering if it would be possible to retrofit the e36 m3's on the z3's PS rack. I've seen many e36 folks doing that using the z3 PS rack. So I'm curious if anyone has fitted it in z3. For start, it appears Z3 rack doesn't have a place to securely hold the tip of the cooling line as e36's does. If you've done it, what did you have to mount it securely? I would appreciate it if you could share any tips, advice, or things to watch out for... Or should I just stick to the stock version that loops in front of the radiator?

Thank you!

s-l1600.jpg
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Being that I have a Eurosport twin screw supercharger, the intercooler required the stock ps cooler to be moved. The E36 M3 ps cooler was used. Now I'm not sure if I have the original z3 rack or if I have a M3 rack. I'll do some research to answer which rack I have.
    P.s. it appears that I have the original ps rack. Not 100% though.
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 11-29-2021 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I found this:
    Power Steering Cooling Loop to accommodate supercharger.

"The next problem was the power steering cooling loop. Instructions call for the heat exchanger to be mounted onto the bumper and facing the opening of the lower valence grille. The problem was that the power steering cooling loop would be in the way. Therefore, the power steering loop needed to be relocated. The car was fitted with a power steering cooling loop from an E36 which is located not too far behind the oil cooler."
    Here's some pics from my car, don't know if it will help but I hope it will.
    Screenshot_20211129-210041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-210542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-210636_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-210900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-210918_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Do you already have the M3 cooler laying around? Or is there some sort of gain to be had by using it vs. the stock cooler?
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Some aftermarket rebuilt racks won't have the stud needed to mount the M3 cooler. JB Weld and a spare bolt fill fix that issue. You won't get any benefit on the street from the swap unless its a space issue. If you need the room or other issue than it is worth the add/swap. You can find aftermarket for good prices. In my case, I was over heating the fluid on track with the M3 cooler. I added the OEM loop back in and now use both in series. The fluid temps settled down.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I found this:
    Power Steering Cooling Loop to accommodate supercharger.

"The next problem was the power steering cooling loop. Instructions call for the heat exchanger to be mounted onto the bumper and facing the opening of the lower valence grille. The problem was that the power steering cooling loop would be in the way. Therefore, the power steering loop needed to be relocated. The car was fitted with a power steering cooling loop from an E36 which is located not too far behind the oil cooler."
    Here's some pics from my car, don't know if it will help but I hope it will.
    Thanks, Indiana. Those photos were exactly what I was hoping to get as confirmation. At a glance, I think you have a z3 PS rack (e.g., shorter rack) which is what I plan to use as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Some aftermarket rebuilt racks won't have the stud needed to mount the M3 cooler. JB Weld and a spare bolt fill fix that issue. You won't get any benefit on the street from the swap unless its a space issue. If you need the room or other issue than it is worth the add/swap. You can find aftermarket for good prices. In my case, I was over heating the fluid on track with the M3 cooler. I added the OEM loop back in and now use both in series. The fluid temps settled down.
    Perfect, thanks PbFut! I was wondering about how to secure that end of the cooler. The cooler line has a bracket but Z3 rack doesn't have a place to bolt it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Do you already have the M3 cooler laying around? Or is there some sort of gain to be had by using it vs. the stock cooler?
    No, I don't. But I'm in need of a replacement. And I would like to take this opportunity to open up frontal space for future enhancements (e.g., heat exchanger for intercooler).
    Last edited by nevan; 11-30-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    - Zach

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I got my last Z3 rack from Turner before their service went to shit. The rack was a rebult core required but very good price. Not sure they still offer the unit but I am happy with the one received at the time. It was missing the needed stud to mount the M3 cooler but as I said a bolt and BJ Weld will fix that very easy. Just be sure area is clean, scuff the selected bolt head and the spot on the rack you want to position the bolt. A dab of JB Weld and tighten down the bolt to the cooler. It will hold the bolt in place while the JB cures. It is very easy to do, but you need to be 100% sure you don't have any oil or PS fluid in the area you are putting the JB Weld. It has been 2 seasons or more since I did this little trick and have had no failure or problems.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    I got my last Z3 rack from Turner before their service went to shit. The rack was a rebult core required but very good price. Not sure they still offer the unit but I am happy with the one received at the time. It was missing the needed stud to mount the M3 cooler but as I said a bolt and BJ Weld will fix that very easy. Just be sure area is clean, scuff the selected bolt head and the spot on the rack you want to position the bolt. A dab of JB Weld and tighten down the bolt to the cooler. It will hold the bolt in place while the JB cures. It is very easy to do, but you need to be 100% sure you don't have any oil or PS fluid in the area you are putting the JB Weld. It has been 2 seasons or more since I did this little trick and have had no failure or problems.
    Thanks again, Dan. Really appreciate the tips as that is exactly what I needed to know.

My PS rack was refreshed not too long ago when I overhauled the PS system about 6 or 7 years ago (or maybe that is considered a while ago). Hopefully, it is still stayed refreshed since then, but I'll check them again while I'm replacing the cooler line.
    Last edited by nevan; 11-30-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    - Zach

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    On the z3 Tu engine there are treaded wholes on the engine for a bracket to hold the cooler line…

I have a tread I’ll post below.

I’m not sure the M is the same though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Skip down to post #16

Z3 Power Steering Service Question (
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Thanks solimans!

I will have to check on the bracket mounting holes on the s52's short block. But if it does have them, it will be even better. I will also have to check the length of the e36 cooling line because it does appear to stick out a bit more to right side. And I might just have to make my own bracket (if that is true and feasible).

I will go ahead and order the e36 cooling line this evening. Thanks again!
    Last edited by nevan; 11-30-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    - Zach

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Was able to take some better pics this evening. Can't say for sure but it looks like they might have added some material to attach to.
    Screenshot_20211130-191128_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-191037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-191023_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-190905_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-190845_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    When I refreshed My power steering reservoir and hoses, the M3 cooling line comes with a hose attached from the factory. I was able to use a new hose that is made for the z3 and keep the M3 cooling line. I took a Dremel tool and carefully cut one side of the factory crimp. Once crimp was off, hose pulled right off. Put the new z3 hose on and used a oetiker clamp. That saved me some bucks. Here's before and after pics. First pic is up side down, sorry about that.
    20190508_111118.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-193826_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Excellent!!

I compared the PS rack photos with one of the old photos that I took when I did the ps overhaul. And it appears that my PS rack also has mounting spots for the cooler line as your photos are shown. - It also seems the cooler line is slightly revised so it may not stick out as much to the right side of the PS rack anymore. But I hope the fitment is still good, only time can tell...

I think this may turn into a considerably easier retrofit than I initially thought it would be (which is a good sign). Thanks so much again, fellas!!

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 9.10.09 AM.jpg
    Last edited by nevan; 12-01-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    - Zach

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    If you going with aftermarket cooler line, avoid MTC brand - its junk.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    ...avoid MTC brand - its junk.
    Definitely not. Their parts have always been either hit-or-miss (mostly miss in my experience) due to lack of quality control with sub-vendor outsourcing. Imho, I think their parts are worse than URO. URO has stepped up in quality quite a bit in recent years (especially their warranty department). But I only get less serious parts from them like rubber hose or gasket and things.

Anyhow, I went with CRP/Rein. It's arrived today (along with two additional bolts to mount on the PS rack). I've had positive experiences with them in past. Although I won't know for sure until I test fit them, it looks good at a glance. I'll start out IndianaRoaster's approach first. Then depending on what works, probably go on to improvise from there based on suggestions mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by nevan; 12-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    - Zach

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    I used rein also on this. Good value.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Rein usually is solid.
    Also, OE part hose that goes to the reservoir on M3 has a valve which regulates the flow, which aftermarket parts do not have.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================