Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 850CSI camshaft regrind

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,

850CSI camshaft regrind

Hi all,
    I am currently in a dilemma, I purchased an 850CSI in August. I drove the car 850 miles home and unfortunately, the car suffered oil starvation on driver’s side camshaft due to a loose banjo bolt. I attempted to purchased camshafts from schrick, but they wanted 8K to produce a set for me….sorry that is out of the question. Therefore, I ordered a set from Dbilas, but they said it would be a 6 week wait. Well 6 weeks have passed and Dbilas notified me that it would be another 5 weeks due to difficulty getting the necessary raw material and their CNC machine crashed….sigh! So I am asking the forum, I live in Arizona, is there any company in the United States that has the competency and ability to re-grind my camshafts to proper specification?
    Thank you for any help.
    PS If anyone has Dbilas or Schrick cams lying around in new shape I would consider purchasing them.
    James
    2009 M6, 2005 M3 comp 6spd slicktop, 2002 M3 convertible, 2002 530i slicktop sport package, 2001 M5, 2001 750il, 1994 850 CSI 0015, 1993 M5 3.6, 1991 850i 6spd, 1988 750il, 1988 M5, 1985 535i, 1959 502....yes it is a sickness!

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Please do NOT regrind the cams. Trust me, you'll regret it.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Thanks Cartoonz, I was hoping not to go that direction, but thought that I would throw that as an option to the board. I will reply to Dbilas that I will continue to wait. I am concerned with more shipping and lockdown issues that I may be left with the car torn apart to eternity…lol.

Thanks again,
    James

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    There was a Wheeler Dealer edition where Mike had a cam shaft repaired. They built up the metal and re-ground it. Unfortunately I don’t recall the car but if you can figure that out I’m sure the company he used was mentioned.

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Thanks BMSman, considering Cartoonz direct knowledge and experience with these cars, I will follow his advice. These cars are special and I really am trying to keep it “correct” as possible. I have new lifters, rockers, valve seals ready to go, furthermore, I am having a machinist make locking tabs for the banjo bolts which should have been done by the prior owners shop when they were in there….sigh. Fortunately, I caught the problem early and very little damage was done. For good measure, I removed oil filter housing, lower oil pan, and found only 1 small spec of metal. Blackstone labs identified metal compounds in the oil consistent with the camshaft metal, but none related to rod bearings. I will remove the spark plugs and use a bore scope to get imaging of the cylinder walls…hoping everything is fine. I really wanted to get new camshafts in order to keep the originals with the car, just as further documentation of its history….nerdy I know 🙂

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    there is a stash of Schrick cams in Europe... let me see if I can dig up the vendor...

here: https://www.gladen-motorsport.de/en/...hafts+264-.htm
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...

My Cars
    Misc.
    Are M70 and S70 shricks the same part? I know M73s use a roller design

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Auraraptor; 11-27-2021 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    M70 & S70 stock cams are a different grind, but same design... M73 cams are different design (roller)

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    I safety wired my Banjo bolts. Car had 190K on it when I did it. Some I turned out by hand. Tabs are good also, visual check of something having been done.

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Hi Cartoonz,
    I checked with gladen motor sports first per Dragon 850 suggestion, they told me that they did not have any Schrick camshafts. In fact, they showed them in stock on their website, I bought them and they refunded my money stating that they were out of stock. So, I checked every “American” dealer for schrick, VAS Motorsport never returned my call, Turner talked with me but never came through, Steve Dinan/CarBahn/ Bavarium said their contact with Schrick would be 8K for a set of camshafts for the S70….I turned down that offer. I went with Dbilas, fortunately they are working to make it happen, so I will wait another 5 weeks with the hope they can deliver. I am grateful for any help, and still open for suggestions. At this point, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, if I can source a set locally for a reasonable price I would buy them and then put the Dbilas set up for sale.

James

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Just to be clear... IF you can get your original cams refaced (add metal) and then reground to the original specs, that is OK. But a lot (most) of the regrinds skip the adding metal and end up with smaller lobes, which cause the need for different rockers and bad geometry.

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Thanks for the clarification Cartoonz, sorry that I was unclear about my intentions from the start (I am fairly new to this range of issues). If anyone has a trusted source to provide that service, I would considering taking that avenue….I really would rather keep the car in a close to stock configuration as possible….as I have an E63 M6 for that high horsepower felony driving 🙂. I believe the prior owner told me that this CSI has Dinan chips, which I really don’t care either way. This car is such a difference in driving compared to my 91 850i 6spd in every way.

My Cars
    850Ci, Excursion
    If you're adding material and regrinding it would anything stop you from netting a bit more lift and duration? Would it even be helpful given the cylinder head flow characteristics?

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    Just to be clear... IF you can get your original cams refaced (add metal) and then reground to the original specs, that is OK. But a lot (most) of the regrinds skip the adding metal and end up with smaller lobes, which cause the need for different rockers and bad geometry.
    Hi Harold. (waving hand emoji).

Woody

PS how's the hunt for more car lift space coming?

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by LappingLuke View Post
    If you're adding material and regrinding it would anything stop you from netting a bit more lift and duration? Would it even be helpful given the cylinder head flow characteristics?
    I don't see why not, if the welding process adheres to the base metal properly. I think the biggest challenge with going this route is finding a camshaft regrinding shop that knows the M70/S70 motors, and can regrind a profile that will actually increase performance, and not detract performance like some have reported with the Dblias regrinds.

My Cars
    1997 850Ci 1991 850i 6sp
    It was a 72 Datsun 240Z I don't think they mentioned the shop name.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythefish View Post
    Hi all,
    I am currently in a dilemma, I purchased an 850CSI in August. I drove the car 850 miles home and unfortunately, the car suffered oil starvation on driver’s side camshaft due to a loose banjo bolt. I attempted to purchased camshafts from schrick, but they wanted 8K to produce a set for me….sorry that is out of the question. Therefore, I ordered a set from Dbilas, but they said it would be a 6 week wait. Well 6 weeks have passed and Dbilas notified me that it would be another 5 weeks due to difficulty getting the necessary raw material and their CNC machine crashed….sigh! So I am asking the forum, I live in Arizona, is there any company in the United States that has the competency and ability to re-grind my camshafts to proper specification?
    Thank you for any help.
    PS If anyone has Dbilas or Schrick cams lying around in new shape I would consider purchasing them.
    James
    Shadbolt Cams up in Vancouver, B.C. lists our V12 motor on their website, so perhaps they might be a viable option rather than buying a new set of some type. They have been around since 1954, so they do have a track record. Not promoting them, only trying to help and throw out options. Maybe call them to discuss:

http://www.shadboltcams.com/euro.html

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Thanks for that lead!

My Cars
    91 850iA + 17 more
    I've been reading this site since I got my 91 e31 a few years ago. A lot of great knowledge in here. Much appreciated.

My first contribution and recommendation to the forum is Web Cam.
    http://www.webcamshafts.com

I've been using them for decades. Very knowledgeable and competent. Very likely that can restore or modify your cam. They weld, regrind and harden. I've used them numerous times, mostly on Porsches. Never once had an issue.

Be very careful when you pack and ship your cam as they are quite brittle.

PS this is the same company highlighted on that Wheeler Dealer episode.
    CM

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Awesome! Thank you for the information! I must agree, so many knowledgeable people on this forum, and it gives me the faith to own my bimmers and work to maintain them….

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Just a quick update. I waited an additional 5 weeks for dbilas to come though and unfortunately that are still backed up. They are requiring an additional 4 weeks which is frustrating, however, they have been great with communication which softens the blow of our Covid 19 world. I did contact Web Cams as recommended, again a great experience, they are backed up about 8 weeks but hoping to “catch up.” I haven’t sent my old cams out to them yet, because I have hopes that dbilas comes through and the old cams can be kept for history of the car.

FYI, a lot of “projects” that are on hold due to waiting for parts
    E34 M5 headliner material somewhere in a shipping container on the ocean from headliner expresss
    Michelin TRX tires 200 60R 390 tires back ordered until March for my 85 535i
    Waiting for 3D printed headlight adjustment pieces for my 850s
    …..list goes on….

James

My Cars
    Misc.
    Props to still using TRX tires…

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Thanks, my 85 535i is completely original except for the rims and radio. The previous owner changed the rims and radio and did not keep the original equipment….sigh! However, he was only attempting to keep the car a little more serviceable, may God rest his soul, I am returning the car back to original…..TRX tires are not cheap!

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythefish View Post
    Just a quick update. I waited an additional 5 weeks for dbilas to come though and unfortunately that are still backed up. They are requiring an additional 4 weeks which is frustrating, however, they have been great with communication which softens the blow of our Covid 19 world. I did contact Web Cams as recommended, again a great experience, they are backed up about 8 weeks but hoping to “catch up.” I haven’t sent my old cams out to them yet, because I have hopes that dbilas comes through and the old cams can be kept for history of the car.

FYI, a lot of “projects” that are on hold due to waiting for parts
    E34 M5 headliner material somewhere in a shipping container on the ocean from headliner expresss
    Michelin TRX tires 200 60R 390 tires back ordered until March for my 85 535i
    Waiting for 3D printed headlight adjustment pieces for my 850s
    …..list goes on….

James
    Did Webcams say they’d be able to create from new billets or regrind our stock cams?
    What we’re the specs and prices of the cams that they offer?
    Glad to hear there’s other options!

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    Hi whiteghost1,
    They were going to look at the camshafts and add metal and regrind to stock configuration. I don’t recall the exact price but I think it was 300 per shaft and additional 70 to add metal on each shaft. Don’t hold me to those numbers and I don’t hold Webcams to those numbers.
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast