Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock cylinder lubricant

My Cars
    '02 525i, '72 TR6. '32 Ford coupe

Question Lock cylinder lubricant

Hi all,

i haven't been on the forum for quite awhile but when I got this particular problem “who ya goin to call?”...

My drivers side door lock is a little sticky so I want to lubricate it but unsure of which type to use. Graphite, Fluid Film, ? Any suggestions?

Thanks

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Amazon - Houdini lock Lubricant - I’ve used it on all cars / BMW / Mini / GMC / Toyota

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    For anyone else not inclined to give Amazon your biz, just ordered a can on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    I hate ebay more than Jeff. I got mine locally, but I can’t remember where. I know the one on Amazon is the one I got.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Screw Bezoz, I was praying his toy rocket that carried his ass out into space wouldn’t come back.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    I hate ebay more than Jeff. I got mine locally, but I can’t remember where. I know the one on Amazon is the one I got.
    why does eBay deserve the same hate? At least individual sellers have a chance and eBay doesn’t copy things that sell well to sell on their own.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    why does eBay deserve the same hate? At least individual sellers have a chance and eBay doesn’t copy things that sell well to sell on their own.

SPOT ON!!! Bezoz has ZERO business ethics.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Screw Bezoz, I was praying his toy rocket that carried his ass out into space wouldn’t come back.
    +1000
    You mean edge of space.
    At least devil #2's made it into space.
    Of course he ruined ebay, and PayPal.
    The gov had a hand in that though.
    Not enough room for past/present garage

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    I sold a bicycle on eBay - delivered it to the US agent for the buyer - in Australia - did all feedback both ways, and still had to wait a month for the $$. ‘Just in case’ was what I got in the eBay reply.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    +1000
    You mean edge of space.
    At least devil #2's made it into space.
    Of course he ruined ebay, and PayPal.
    The gov had a hand in that though.
    Yep! And his electric cars are garbage too, hated fixing those turds. When you have to take one apart, you’d understand, as if the engineers had no clue how to build a car. Fit, and finish, flew out the window when they were put together. But, I am looking into picking up a wrecked one for the drivetrain, and batteries, and all thats needed to prep an E39 wagon for the demise of gasoline, in case these turds in power get their way in the future, like in 2025, to 2035.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Yep! And his electric cars are garbage too, hated fixing those turds. When you have to take one apart, you’d understand, as if the engineers had no clue how to build a car. Fit, and finish, flew out the window when they were put together. But, I am looking into picking up a wrecked one for the drivetrain, and batteries, and all thats needed to prep an E39 wagon for the demise of gasoline, in case these turds in power get their way in the future, like in 2025, to 2035.
    Let’s talk. I’m thinking along similar lines. M5 power, electric.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Let’s talk. I’m thinking along similar lines. M5 power, electric.

As much as I hate the idea for the lack of combustion, I have gotten on a Tesla P85 that had had it’s horses freed up, it was quick, but it was feelingless, new word, but you get the point. Swapped into an E39 wagon, it would be….. different, but, the feeling of the handling, the steering, would all still be there, all but the combustion of the nonexistent engine. Should be fun, but I already know that it would still be lacking…. The range would be another thing to get used to.

My Cars
    '02 525i, '72 TR6. '32 Ford coupe
    Wow! This has gotten waaaay off topic...all I was asking was a recommendation for door lock lubricants. Now Ive got Pirates of the Cryabean...maybe you should start your own thread.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT

eBay's just as bad as Amazon from a buyer's POV. Who knows how their new payment thing will work out but PayPal was awful at protecting both buyers and sellers from fraud. eBay gave us garbage tier business morons like Mrs. Griffith R. Harsh IV (a.k.a. Meg Whitman). PayPal gave us the likes of Peter Thiel who thinks drinking the blood of young boys will help him attain immortality. And, of course, Elongated Musk. They're all a net drain on society. Screw em.

As for lock lube, Volvo used to have some. I think it was graphite based. If your lock is sticky make sure it's not the actuator binding up.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Haha - yes to the Volvo one. I have him on the shelf also. It’s like the size of a Testors model paint bottle, but the Swedes know how to do it. The Houdini - no matter where you get it - is as good as the Volvo stuff - and it’s a full sized can.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Just ordered the Houdini lube so I will have first hand experience to post next week. I have a few house door locks that are overly tight. I also have the evil X5 one door lock to keep ice free.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

Lock cylinder lubricant

Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    eBay's just as bad as Amazon from a buyer's POV. Who knows how their new payment thing will work out but PayPal was awful at protecting both buyers and sellers from fraud. eBay gave us garbage tier business morons like Mrs. Griffith R. Harsh IV (a.k.a. Meg Whitman). PayPal gave us the likes of Peter Thiel who thinks drinking the blood of young boys will help him attain immortality. And, of course, Elongated Musk. They're all a net drain on society. Screw em.

As for lock lube, Volvo used to have some. I think it was graphite based. If your lock is sticky make sure it's not the actuator binding up.
    Been using eBay for 20-years and have literally never had a single issue. Biggest “issue” I had was an eBay order arriving in Amazon packaging, which had pissed me off since I made a concerted effort not to buy the same item from Amazon. The seller was reported to eBay who seemed genuinely concerned.

eBay is 1000% better for sellers and really perfectly fine for buyers if you are discerning about your purchase and check seller ratings. Bought everything from small stuff to functional vehicles.

If you’re bummed that your small local businesses are disappearing, don’t buy from Amazon.

Last edited by scottieducati; 11-28-2021 at 08:54 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Haha - yes to the Volvo one. I have him on the shelf also. It’s like the size of a Testors model paint bottle, but the Swedes know how to do it. The Houdini - no matter where you get it - is as good as the Volvo stuff - and it’s a full sized can.
    FYI the Houdini stuff comes in two sizes. Ones a mini can.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunateson View Post
    Hi all…My drivers side door lock is a little sticky so I want to lubricate it but unsure of which type to use. Graphite, Fluid Film, ? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    I recommend a product call Tri-Flow. It contains P.T.F.E (aka TEFLON) which helps prevent any binding between any surfaces…as well as helping to reject the build up of dirt/grime/dust and also helps repel moisture/icing (for those nasty winter days).

You can go to their website to find local sellers…or try a local bike shop…lots of cyclists uses it for their chains: https://www.triflowlubricants.com/

These are the two lubricants I use to maintain and winterize. The Tri-Flow is used for lock cylinders, latches, & hinges (anything that binds)…and the Siicone is used to maintain the rubber gaskets around the vehicle:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-28-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep, TriFlow is good stuff. The good bicycle shopd sell some good mountain bike chain lube that sprays on wet and turns into a fine graphite powder that doesn’t attract dirt, can’t remember the name.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    X2 on the TriFlow for lock cylinders, but I'll never intentionally use silicone spray around my cars. It is absolutely evil if you ever paint anything.
    -Donny

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Got to use the Houdini stuff today. Expecting a mega cold snap mid week. Will see how it goes!

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    I received mine and I have sprayed all my door locks and house outside locks. The results are wonderful on the house locks! Smooth as butter...
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Probably a done deal by now, but I've got to throw in another + for Triflow. That stuff is great. It's a thin, light lubricant that doesn't evaporate and flash off like many light lubes. I've used it on many commercial office locks and the local locksmith shop was so fond of it they not only used it but had it for sale in their display. I'm such a fan I should be a salesman for it. (I'm not and never was, but it is absolutely great stuff) Seems expensive for a small can, but one small can goes a long ways. Closest thing I have to a complaint is I can't modulate the spray can well enough, I want a couple of drips and get a small spritz.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You can also get TriFlow in a small squirt bottle. Been using that for many years, even use it on my rc helicopters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast