Thread: Engine Dies in Sport Mode?

My Cars
    Coupes...

Engine Dies in Sport Mode?

So I was out exercising the SG yesterday and I have a tendency to coast to stops in neutral with the clutch out, sometimes the engine stalls out on me while I'm coasting at 50 mph or whatever.

I put it in gear and let the momentum spin the engine back up, but its probably not good if the engine isn't designed for that kinda think like todays boring cars.

Think I need to clean something or a hose somewhere? Anyone experienced this?

Seems to only happen in Sport mode, but driving the SG without sport mode is really hard.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Anecdotal comment here, but I had an issue where my e39 M5 would stall out coming to stop signs and it ended up being a cracked 90 degree plastic elbo between the V of the engine that is part of the idle control valve system. I've never looked at or diagnozed anything like this on our engines, however, your symptom immediately made me think of what I experienced.

Could be something in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1749

Or your Idle Control Valve needs a bit of a cleaning: see youtube for what to spray in it and how to shake it to clean it out.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    +1 icv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    OK, so I'm gonna sound like a total dope here but here goes:

1: Did ///M Coupe and Roadster get sport mode? Or was it determined by year?
    2: What is an SG?
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    OK, so I'm gonna sound like a total dope here but here goes:

1: Did ///M Coupe and Roadster get sport mode? Or was it determined by year?
    2: What is an SG?
    1. S54 powered cars had sport mode, similar to E46 M3s.
    2. Steel Gray, S54 only color.
    Last edited by TexaZ3; 11-27-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    1. S54 powered cars had sport mode, similar to E46 M3s.
    Well, my steel gray S54 doesn't seem to have anything that looks like a sport mode, unless I stupidly don't recognize it. I didn't see anything in any manuals about it either. Where is the switch that activates it?

Marty

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Well, my steel gray S54 doesn't seem to have anything that looks like a sport mode, unless I stupidly don't recognize it. I didn't see anything in any manuals about it either. Where is the switch that activates it?

Marty
    There wasn't a factory "switch" to enable sportmode in the '01/'02 Coupe & Rdstr, only the 4-seat M3s. I don't remember if the Z4Ms had that enabled...

But in the case of the '01/'02 cars, the function does exist in the DME, and it's just a matter of "grounding" pin-15 on connector X60004 to toggle it on or off. I happen to have one of the few controllers that DWM made up, that allows me to enable sportmode, and it will remain in the "last state" when the engine is turned off & restarted (if it was "on" then it is "on" again when retarted). It also illuminates the "SPORT" icon in the instrument cluster*.

* now WHY do you suppose BMW would design the cluster with a "SPORT" icon, but no switch to activate it...?
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 11-28-2021 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    There wasn't a factory "switch" to enable sportmode in the '01/'02 Coupe & Rdstr, only the 4-seat M3s. I don't remember if the Z4Ms had that enabled...

But in the case of the '01/'02 cars, the function does exist in the DME, and it's just a matter of "grounding" pin-15 on connector X60004 to toggle it on or off. I happen to have one of the few controllers that DWM made up, that allows me to enable sportmode, and it will remain in the "last state" when the engine is turned off & restarted (if it was "on" then it is "on" again when retarted). It also illuminates the "SPORT" icon in the instrument cluster*.

* now WHY do you suppose BMW would design the cluster with a "SPORT" icon, but no switch to activate it...?

Oh, right. I forgot that there wasn't a factory switch.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

For anyone who is interested in DWM's controller, he shared his BOM and the simple code that makes the controller work. I've also posted a pretty comprehensive set of drawings/instructions on how to wire it up without actually cutting or splicing into any existing wireing. It can be done 100% plug and play with the right pins and connectors.

* probably for the same reason our S54's made less power and had taller gears...couldn't be as cool as or as fast as the e46 M3!

We've completely threadjacked mpire

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    5 S52 SG Coupes exist in NA. They were and individual order option.

But more on topic, I'd also be looking at the ICV system.

My Cars
    z3
    I would check the operation of the clutch switch

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!