Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing some research, don’t own a BMW yet, but I’m thinking about it.

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra

Doing some research, don’t own a BMW yet, but I’m thinking about it.

So, I’m thinking about getting into the BMW scene, and I’m hoping people here can help me out. I’m not exactly what you would call well off, but I am pretty handy in a garage. I’m looking to find out basic maintenance costs, worry spots, basically getting info from owners for future owners. I’m looking at the E39 generation 530i. The M5 would be awesome, but I’ve never owned anything with a straight 6 before. Also, why should someone in my position go for a BMW 530i over a Lexus GS300? I have 2 kids and need a mid size sedan to keep up with their growth.

Thanks!!!
    Ghalieger

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    As you are looking for an E39 530, I will move the thread to the E39 forum, where E39 owners can comment
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    A Lexus GS300 would be a lot cheaper to own if you wanted to keep your repair cost to a minimum.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Well, the crucial questions are: are you handy and eager to wrench it (10 mm socket) ? Are you ready to spend a couple hours a week futzing around the engine and the car ??
    If you answer yes to both question, then go ahead and buy any older BMW. You will be thrilled by the experience. And the cost of parts is pretty reasonable if you DIY it.
    If not, this car will ruin your wallet. Forget it, and go with the Lexus , Infiniti, or whichever car you fancy.
    Last edited by Chedley; 11-21-2021 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    So much depends on the condition of the car you want. A poorly maintained E39 will require a substantial amount of work and money up front to get it into reliable condition. If you don't it will leave you stranded somewhere. The GS (a glorified Camry) will take a lot more neglect and still run reliably. If you purchase your E39 in good condition, or are able to DIY it into good condition, it will be very reliable, start every morning, and run 100 MPH on the freeway all day, every day.

Both cars are very comfortable and have enough room for a small family, i.e. mom, pop, and two mid-size kids. And a bit of luggage, although the trunk is a lot smaller that it looks from the outside.

I was in your position a few years ago. I bought my first E39 which had a blown engine. I had to replace the engine, replace the entire cooling system, replace parts of the suspension, repair the sunroof and the rear sunshade, replace the siren, replace the windshield, replace the LKM, replace the throttle body, replace the MAF, replace the brakes and tires. But after that I had (have) a dead reliable daily driver that I also take to Mexico frequently. I really like my E39 and wouldn't trade it for a dozen GS300s. BUT, I'm in the position where I can do all my own work and can get the parts at "BMW mechanic" cost. If you can't do much wrenching yourself then these cars are not for you. Unless, of course, you are very strong of wallet.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    You know how to work on cars, which is good. If the previous owner took care of previous problems/potential problems, such as the cooling and transmission you should be fine in terms of cost. A suspension refresh is a must since the newest 530i is coming towards 19 years old, so you're looking upwards of $2000 if you plan on using OEM parts. If you don't like dealing with problems and maintaining it consistently, go with the Lexus. The handling and feel of an E39 is unmatched compared to the Japanese cars in my opinion. I like to think of a Lexus as a regular 6/10 wife that does everything they should and gives an alright time in bed. The E39 on the other hand is like a stripper girlfriend that is so much fun it can get you into trouble, both financially and lawfully. I don't regret buying my 530i one bit.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Ah jumping into the deep end. If you are looking to get into any car, look outside the salt belt. It says you are in Wisconsin. - shop carefully if you are buying locally. What do you have experience with. If you say Audi / Volvo / Volkswagen, then the jump is not bad. If you say Toyota / Subaru / Nissan, it is a different flavor. The later e39’s ( 530i falls into that range ), don’t get rid of your current car until you get the new one up to snuff. Also, keep your budget in mind. What is your budget?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Well, the crucial questions are: are you handy and eager to wrench it (10 mm socket) ? Are you ready to spend a couple hours a week futzing around the engine and the car ??
    If you answer yes to both question, then go ahead and buy any older BMW. You will be thrilled by the experience. And the cost of parts is pretty reasonable if you DIY it.
    If not, this car will ruin your wallet. Forget it, and go with the Lexus , Infiniti, or whichever car you fancy.
    Really? My cars don't require any futzing.
    Once any deferred maintenance is caught up no reason not to expect trouble free service from the car regardless of age or mileage.
    Other than the usual major service every decade or so my cars are as reliable as the refrigerator.
    @ OP The Lexus is a different animal. A vastly different driving experience(which some prefer) that only a soulless car can provide. I see you are in Manitowoc so good luck finding a Japanese car of this vintage not rusted clear up to the door handles.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra
    Wow, I thought I had email notifications on, apparently I was wrong. I have an AAS degree in automotive service technology, so I’ve got that going for me. My experience ranges from Cadillac to Mazda to Hyundai to VW. I had a 2006 Passat V6 AWD, loved that car, I only got rid of it because I wasn’t making enough to afford the premium gas at 3/4 of a tank used every 3 days. I don’t commute that far anymore, so fuel economy isn’t as big of an issue. I am a diy guy, and I’m not afraid to learn what is necessary to maintain the vehicle. This is going to get a laugh but…I’d be looking at trading my Hyundai Elantra for either the 530i or the GS300. I don’t have the money to purchase a vehicle outright, nor do I have the credit score to finance one, so straight trade is what I would be looking for, as much of a long shot as that would be. Thanks for the info though guys!! It’s been immensely useful!! Also, the ES is a glorified Camry, the GS is an Aristo.
    Last edited by Ghalieger; 11-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghalieger View Post
    Wow, I thought I had email notifications on, apparently I was wrong. I have an AAS degree in automotive service technology, so I’ve got that going for me. My experience ranges from Cadillac to Mazda to Hyundai to VW. I had a 2006 Passat V6 AWD, loved that car, I only got rid of it because I wasn’t making enough to afford the premium gas at 3/4 of a tank used every 3 days. I don’t commute that far anymore, so fuel economy isn’t as big of an issue. I am a diy guy, and I’m not afraid to learn what is necessary to maintain the vehicle. This is going to get a laugh but…I’d be looking at trading my Hyundai Elantra for either the 530i or the GS300. I don’t have the money to purchase a vehicle outright, nor do I have the credit score to finance one, so straight trade is what I would be looking for, as much of a long shot as that would be. Thanks for the info though guys!! It’s been immensely useful!!
    Unless a whole bunch of model years newer nobody in their right mind is going to swap a BMW for a Hyundai. If they ARE willing I guarantee the BMW will be a turd that they are desperate to unload.
    Better set your sights on the Lexus.
    If you can tolerate owning a VW then an old BMW will be a breath of fresh air.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-22-2021 at 11:10 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5

What you need to know up front

Bottom line

E39 530 with 100K approx outside of your rustbelt area. It will need a complete review of the following so get a PPI.

• Cooling system
    • Electrical System
    • Suspension System
    • Brake System
    • Body and under the car
    • Interior and all driver controlled device functions (sun roof, HVAC, Radio, Power & Heated seats, windows, sun roof, steering wheel controls including tilt functions, etc)

Looking for water leaks in trunk, back seats (especially the rear doors and under the passenger seat where all the high voltage connections and fuses are located)
    Pull all the BMW specific codes and failure frequencies

Wear items like tires, brakes, and most of the preventative maintenance items in the categories above with NOT have been done by the previous owner(s).

Pull the Car Fax

Attached is what under the hood should look like after a clean up and all the normal things that BMWs need as preventative maintenance:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Unless a whole bunch of model years newer nobody in their right mind is going to swap a BMW for a Hyundai. If they ARE willing I guarantee the BMW will be a turd that they are desperate to unload.
    Better set your sights on the Lexus.
    If you can tolerate owning a VW then an old BMW will be a breath of fresh air.
    It’s a 2012 Hyundai. It’s nothing special, but it’s paid for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Bottom line

E39 530 with 100K approx outside of your rustbelt area. It will need a complete review of the following so get a PPI.

• Cooling system
    • Electrical System
    • Suspension System
    • Brake System
    • Body and under the car
    • Interior and all driver controlled device functions (sun roof, HVAC, Radio, Power & Heated seats, windows, sun roof, steering wheel controls including tilt functions, etc)

Looking for water leaks in trunk, back seats (especially the rear doors and under the passenger seat where all the high voltage connections and fuses are located)
    Pull all the BMW specific codes and failure frequencies

Wear items like tires, brakes, and most of the preventative maintenance items in the categories above with NOT have been done by the previous owner(s).

Pull the Car Fax

Attached is what under the hood should look like after a clean up and all the normal things that BMWs need as preventative maintenance:

Thanks!! So far, yeah, I’m definitely thinking Lexus. One of my main reasons for looking at the Bimmer was the availability of a manual trans from the factory.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    E39 530i manual is really rare, even more rare than 540i manual, but 540i has vano and timing chain guide issues which is a big job aside of other common problems.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Limited production on a manual
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra
    Thanks y’all! Rare is better than never offered. But yeah, for now, I’m going to look for a decent Lexus. Maybe I’ll get a BMW when I’ve got a bigger budget to work with.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Good luck and enjoy the couch ride feelings.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Good luck and enjoy the couch ride feelings.
    I will. Though, I doubt it’ll be more couch-like than the 91 Sedan DeVille I once had.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 Newbie View Post
    The GS (a glorified Camry) will take a lot more neglect and still run reliably.
    Eh? The GS is not a glorified Camry.

My Cars
    2012 Hyundai Elantra
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Eh? The GS is not a glorified Camry.
    Right? The ES is the glorified Camry. Lol

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Ha ha
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghalieger View Post
    Right? The ES is the glorified Camry. Lol
    Correct, or as a friend's father famously said when viewing another guy's then new ES, "Its a gussied up Camry".
    Truth be told the ES did serve well for a long time, just had more gee-gaws to eventually fall off.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Tbh I'm not sure why so many posters here directed you into the Lexus. You have wrenching skills, so you should be fine doing maintenance on the E39. Parts are more expensive than for a Lexus, that's true. But they are not crazy, especially if you shop around online and choose aftermarket parts instead of OEM. (Some purists will scream at the idea of using non-OEM parts. I take the view that some things - like suspension - are best left OEM, but for other systems on the car, there are perfectly acceptable aftermarket options that won't break the bank).

And the 530i is a great choice: smooth engine, decent power, fun to drive, and practical for family use. Manual cars are harder to find but they do show up.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    Tbh I'm not sure why so many posters here directed you into the Lexus. You have wrenching skills, so you should be fine doing maintenance on the E39. Parts are more expensive than for a Lexus, that's true. But they are not crazy, especially if you shop around online and choose aftermarket parts instead of OEM. (Some purists will scream at the idea of using non-OEM parts. I take the view that some things - like suspension - are best left OEM, but for other systems on the car, there are perfectly acceptable aftermarket options that won't break the bank).

And the 530i is a great choice: smooth engine, decent power, fun to drive, and practical for family use. Manual cars are harder to find but they do show up.
    Agreed but OP is looking to swap cars and is offering up a Hyundai so prospects for a trade greatly diminishes amongst BMW owners. I know I wouldn't give up even Mrs. Ross' somewhat rusty '99 528 with a billion zillion miles for a ten year old Hyundai.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-23-2021 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Agreed but OP is looking to swap cars and is offering up a Hyundai so prospects for a trade greatly diminishes amongst BMW owners. I know I wouldn't give up even Mrs. Ross' somewhat rusty '99 528 with a billion zillion miles for a ten year old Hyundai.
    Oh I missed that. LOL! Ain't nobody gonna trade a manual 530i for that.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Nobody's going to swap out a nice IS/GS for an Elantra either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast