Thread: 2010 E87 M Sport Rear Bumper Removal Help

My Cars
    2010 BMW 118d M Sport

2010 E87 M Sport Rear Bumper Removal Help

I need to get the rear bumper off so I can permanently fix a leak in the rear vent which causes water to fill in the boot and ruin my parking control sensors.

I have the Haynes manual for the car and have watched YouTube videos on removing the rear bumper and it seems and looks real easy but, I can't get mine to remove. As the per the attached pictures I have got this far... I have pulled away the sides of the bumper and then from there apparently I just lift from the bottom and pull but honestly, it's rigid stuck like it's being held on by some screws I cannot find.

I am not sure if the diffuser has to come off first which would expose from more screws but, even the diffuser I cannot see how it comes away from the bumper.

All the step guides and videos found so far don't show the M Sport being removed. Do I need to do something different / extra when removing this bumper rear bumper?

*** quick change... I cannot attach images, I don't have the permissions ***

My Cars
    2010 BMW 118d M Sport
    Quick update... I was able to pull the bumper away just enough to get the tube of silicon sealant in and seal up the rear vents. It's a very messy job because I couldn't move around as freely as needed to be properly neat but, it's done and the leak is fixed, no more water gets into area where the PDC is located.

I'd still like to know how to take off this bumper though if anyone has any help as one day I might like to take it off, clean off the sealant and do a real nice job on it.

My Cars
    F10 530D M Sport
    The official BMW ISTA documentation indicates that the lower diffuser panel ( "rear bumper trim lower section) needs to be removed first (5 screws below the panel). The panel "snaps out to the rear".

Following this the Rear bumper trim (upper section) can be removed i.e. the main bumper....as follows:

Remove 3 screws from each wheel arch
    Remove rear lights (3 nuts)
    Remove licence plate lights.
    Remove 5 screws exposed by the removal of the rear bumper panel lower section (diffuser)

The remaining work is recommended to be carried out with the assistance of another person:
    Snap out bumper trim from left and right sides and then snap out to the rear. Take care of any wiring for PDC etc.

Hope this helps for the future.
    Last edited by tmarshall57; 03-29-2022 at 03:32 AM.