Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaking car at highway speeds.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Question Shaking car at highway speeds.

My Z3 2.3 has a shake at speeds over 60 that make it very unpleasant to drive. Car has new shocks and struts as of last Summer. Wheels and tires are not the issue as I have tried three different sets and it doesn't solve the problem at all. Now, the shake can vary. At times it's worse than others, and sometimes it's downright unbearable where it feels like it's shaking itself apart like a spaceship entering the atmosphere. Around town and up to 60 seems to be ok. I know Z3s aren't the smoothest at highway speeds, but this is just ridiculous. Any thoughts on where I can start to look?

Thanks,
    Al.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Anything that spins is suspect.

What rims do u have? Spacers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Front bearings? Any noise when you make turns? Any play when you have the car up and apply rocking force to the wheels? Do you feel any pulsing when you apply the brakes?
    Last edited by KBH22102; 11-20-2021 at 11:39 AM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    z3
    My Z3's see 80% highway usage at speeds much higher than 60mph so it's definitely not a "Z3 thing"

A "shake" can be hard to diagnose without more supporting info. Does it feel like it's coming from somewhere specific? Is it speed dependent - does it get faster as the car goes faster? Is it RPM dependant - if you put it in neutral does it go away? Is it better on smooth roads? If you rev at neutral can you replicate any of the shaking?

The first place I look for shaking at that speed is the wheel balancing
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 11-20-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    A z3 is a pretty nice vehicle, it should be smooth on the highway.
    I had a 2.3 with an unbalanced drive shaft that would vibrate from 50-60mph. My solution before getting the drive shaft balanced was to just drive faster than that.
    If you record and post a video of you doing a pull from 40-80 someone else who had the same vibration might be able to recognize it.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    Anything that spins is suspect.

What rims do u have? Spacers?

Several sets tested. Not the wheels/tires.

Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Front bearings? Any noise when you make turns? Any play when you have the car up and apply rocking force to the wheels? Do you feel any pulsing when you apply the brakes?
    Have to check that this week. No pulsing.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    My Z3's see 80% highway usage at speeds much higher than 60mph so it's definitely not a "Z3 thing"

A "shake" can be hard to diagnose without more supporting info. Does it feel like it's coming from somewhere specific? Is it speed dependent - does it get faster as the car goes faster? Is it RPM dependant - if you put it in neutral does it go away? Is it better on smooth roads? If you rev at neutral can you replicate any of the shaking?

The first place I look for shaking at that speed is the wheel balancing
    My M roaster definitely drives way smoother than the 2.3. It does it under load or coasting. No replication at rev in neutral, from what I remember. The car is 3.5 hrs away from me at a friends place and I値l have it back this Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by panasonic View Post
    A z3 is a pretty nice vehicle, it should be smooth on the highway.
    I had a 2.3 with an unbalanced drive shaft that would vibrate from 50-60mph. My solution before getting the drive shaft balanced was to just drive faster than that.
    If you record and post a video of you doing a pull from 40-80 someone else who had the same vibration might be able to recognize it.
    I値l see about that.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Happens only on acceleration or all the time? If it is all the time (happens even in coasting), try to put it in "N" and see if it goes away. Make sure to do this on a safe area where no cars are right behind you.

If it happens in coasting also and in "N",

1) Bent wheels(especially inside) or tires out of balance - Seems you already ruled it out
    2) Suspension and wheel bearing ok??

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Shaking car at highway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post

My M roaster definitely drives way smoother than the 2.3. It does it under load or coasting. No replication at rev in neutral, from what I remember. The car is 3.5 hrs away from me at a friends place and I値l have it back this Tuesday.

I値l see about that.
    EVERYTHING that spins is suspect.

Wheels
    Brakes
    Driveshaft
    Flywheel/clutch
    Hubs
    Bearings
    Halfshafts
    Crankshaft
    Camshaft
    Fan
    Spacers
    Hub rings

Do you run spacers or hub rings?

Last edited by solimans; 11-21-2021 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3, ‘01 540iT
    I had a lot of high speed shake, usually right at 60 to 65, and then anything past 80. I ended up replacing my tie rods and added a strut brace which both made a big difference. It also got better once i replaced the subframe bushings. When I got new tires put on, the guy told me I have some slight bends in my wheel, which is probably where that last 10% of shake is coming from. Hope this helps!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Where do you feel the shake- is it in the steering wheel, or can you feel it in the seat?

Does the shake go away if you go faster than a certain speed? A lot of vibrations are based on harmonics, so much faster or slower can make it go away.

How was the road surface at the time you experienced the shake?

Like others said, it can be many, many possibilities, from suspension alignment, bad wheel bearing (it should make noise that gets worse when turning in one direction versus the other), driveshaft, shock mounts loose, etc.

First thing I'd do is check everything carefully- see if there are any bushings that have broken, any mounts that have broken, etc. Look for play in the suspension and the drivetrain.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Has anyone mentioned the giubo yet. I had a healthy vibration around 3500rpm when coming off throttle. Turned out to be a damaged giubo.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Update:

Drove the car yesterday on a 3.5 hr trip. It shook whenever the car was at speeds over 65 whether in gear or not, coasting or under load. It did seem to subside for a while, then I made a pit stop, got back on the road and the shaking was back in full force. I don't really feel it in isolation in the wheel, I feel it in the seat, the whole car shakes.

Giubo was brand new when the AT/MT conversion took place in 2014, about 30k miles ago.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You could try using a chassis ear to narrow down the problem: https://www.specialtyautotoolrental....s-chassis-ear/

Even though there isn't a sound per se, with a vibration that bad I bet you could narrow it down using the microphones. I think sun belt or one of the big tool rental chains also have these.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Shaking car at highway speeds.

When vibration present, clutch in. That will tell if driveshaft. (Edit: and go into neutral)

Does steering jitter? Is jitter a word? That will tell if front or back.

Last edited by solimans; 11-23-2021 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto
    Update:
    Giubo was brand new when the AT/MT conversion took place in 2014, about 30k miles ago.
    When did you say this shaking started? The giubo is different for autos is it not, and it is sensitive how it is put on and do the drive shafts have to be cut to the proper size?
    -Marshall

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Update:

Drove the car yesterday on a 3.5 hr trip. It shook whenever the car was at speeds over 65 whether in gear or not, coasting or under load. It did seem to subside for a while, then I made a pit stop, got back on the road and the shaking was back in full force. I don't really feel it in isolation in the wheel, I feel it in the seat, the whole car shakes.

Slight diversion.
    2006 Mini Cooper, steering wheel shook like a mofo when turning left at higher speeds (right side is loaded), not noticeable at low speeds, turns out the right side upper strut mount was pooched.
    Your issue is in all driving conditions at 65mph?............ wheel straight and when turning?
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    Slight diversion.
    2006 Mini Cooper, steering wheel shook like a mofo when turning left at higher speeds (right side is loaded), not noticeable at low speeds, turns out the right side upper strut mount was pooched.
    Your issue is in all driving conditions at 65mph?............ wheel straight and when turning?
    Weird, when I've experienced that it was wheel bearing.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
    Always narrowed whether front or rear suspension issue by location of vibration. You state the vibration is in the seat which says to me there is an issue in the rear suspension & not in the front.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Could it be a drive shaft out of balance ?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Out of round rear rim.
    Produced a shimmy in the car.
    You can feel it in your cheeks.

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    I've seen this with a sticking brake caliper.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    I've seen this with a sticking brake caliper.
    +1

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    My Z3 2.3 has a shake at speeds over 60 that make it very unpleasant to drive. Car has new shocks and struts as of last Summer. Wheels and tires are not the issue as I have tried three different sets and it doesn't solve the problem at all. Now, the shake can vary. At times it's worse than others, and sometimes it's downright unbearable where it feels like it's shaking itself apart like a spaceship entering the atmosphere. Around town and up to 60 seems to be ok. I know Z3s aren't the smoothest at highway speeds, but this is just ridiculous. Any thoughts on where I can start to look?

I値l see about that.[/QUOTE]

Giubo was brand new when the AT/MT conversion took place in 2014, about 30k miles ago.[/QUOTE]

So it's (probably) not shocks/struts, wheels/tires, guibo, engine/trans imbalance, engine/trans mounts, guibo, ..... You say it varies, so testing to establish exactly when it changes is the key (like you didn't know that already). ..... Everything you say points to tires/wheels, especially the level of violence in the shaking, but 3 sets (probably) rules that out. (I'm assuming at least one set of wheels was stock BMW). ..... Thoughts not covered: Presumably, it was once okay, and then not okay, so: What happened just before it started (work done? new parts? incident of any kind?). Did it gradually get worse, or come on all at once? Does the vibration lessen if you go a lot faster? (maybe you don't want to try that).
    Last edited by zellamay; 11-25-2021 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Update:

That really makes it sound like it has something to do with the wheels rotating.
    Have you checked the wheel bearings are okay and that the rotors are okay?

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    I have quickly scanned through this thread, suspension is mentioned in responses, but check your control arms and especially the lollipop bushings. Worn bushings will cause a shake. Additionally, check the transmission and engine mounts for wear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast