Thread: Service Interval for 2016 535i

My Cars
    '03 E39, '16 F10

Question Service Interval for 2016 535i

Purchased this car for my wife with 20K miles. She took it to the dealership for routine service; oil, filter, etc. at 28K. Dealer did coolant flush $230, Air filter replacement $165, in addition to oil change and wiper replacement.

Mileage is now at 40K and service light came on. I'm now interested in finding out what should be replaced, inspected, etc at the 40K mark, and each subsequent service interval.

The car is a daily driver, shuttle kids to and from school and sports activities.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

My Cars
    2014 535i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by freqtraveler View Post
    Purchased this car for my wife with 20K miles. She took it to the dealership for routine service; oil, filter, etc. at 28K. Dealer did coolant flush $230, Air filter replacement $165, in addition to oil change and wiper replacement.

Mileage is now at 40K and service light came on. I'm now interested in finding out what should be replaced, inspected, etc at the 40K mark, and each subsequent service interval.

The car is a daily driver, shuttle kids to and from school and sports activities.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

First off, find a good BMW independent shop. $165 to change the air filter is about $115 too much! Even someone with limited mechanical skills can change the air filter.

What do you mean by "service light?" If you mean the check engine light then it's an emissions issue that needs to be addressed. A good indy can read the codes and advise on what's wrong.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Your car uses CBS (condition based service) and the iDrive system tells you what service is due. Go into vehicle info (or something similar) and you should see a list of services (ie brake fluid, oil, vehicle check, rear brake, front brake). And depending on your location, you may have statutory services (emissions or vehicle inspections etc.)….and those services usually have a double S in front of them to distinguish them from the BMW CBS inspections.

When you pull up all of the CBS inspections…it should say OK, have an amber triangle that indicates service is due, or a red triangle indicating the service is overdue. The iDrive system will also list a date when the service was due or is due (red or amber triangle)…or when the next service is expected or anticipated to occur (green OK).

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-17-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '03 E39, '16 F10
    Thanks exaircon4jc, totally agree about the independent shop.
    We have an independent shop where we've taken our older E39. Due to scheduling issues and since the $tealer$hip is close to the house, we opted for that. I didn't think the $tealer$ship would be that bad!!! Lesson learned.

Going forward I'll be taking it to the independent shop, but wanted to know what to have the mechanic look over besides the customary oil change, etc.
    User Qsilver7 below addresses my immediate question.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Qsilver. This is what I was looking for.
    Curious question. Are the mileage between the different "Service required" intervals preset, or is that set by the mechanic after they do the service?

- - - Updated - - -

General questions for F10 owners. What are some KNOW issues to look out for or should have the mechanic look over as the mileage tick up, example, at 60, 80, 100K miles what should be checked.

My Cars
    2014 535i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by freqtraveler View Post
    Thanks exaircon4jc, totally agree about the independent shop.
    We have an independent shop where we've taken our older E39. Due to scheduling issues and since the $tealer$hip is close to the house, we opted for that. I didn't think the $tealer$ship would be that bad!!! Lesson learned.

Going forward I'll be taking it to the independent shop, but wanted to know what to have the mechanic look over besides the customary oil change, etc.
    User Qsilver7 below addresses my immediate question.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Qsilver. This is what I was looking for.
    Curious question. Are the mileage between the different "Service required" intervals preset, or is that set by the mechanic after they do the service?

- - - Updated - - -

General questions for F10 owners. What are some KNOW issues to look out for or should have the mechanic look over as the mileage tick up, example, at 60, 80, 100K miles what should be checked.

The intervals are determined by some BMW algorithm. The CBS has said I need brakes in about 3100 miles for over 45K miles and 4 years.

Main things are oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets. Mileage seems to be hit or miss; I needed both on our 2012 around 50K, our 2014 has 73K and the gaskets are fine. Get the OFHG changed at first sign of leakage as it can cause oil to drip on the serpentine belt causing it to fail and possibly get sucked into the oil pan through the crank seal.

My Cars
    '03 E39, '16 F10
    Thanks