Thread: Coolant

My Cars
    2019 BMW 540i

Question Coolant

I have a 2019 540i w/12k miles. My car went in for routine service 9/2021 (where it checked out w/no issues) and this week, 11/8/2021, my coolant is non-existent, the reservoir is bone dry. A pressure test done today (by the dealer) did not show any leaks. Anyone else run into this problem? I'm just wondering where the coolant went as there are no leaks in my garage or work garage. Based on my mileage, it's not as though the car spends a lot of time on the road. Baffled!

My Cars
    2018 540i
    Similar issue happened to me in early Nov. But I go an alert message when the reservoir reached the minimum line, I topped it off, no issues since, i have drove about 3k miles since then.

Some other owners have been told "expanding hoses" is the culprit from their dealers.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    "expanding hoses" sounds like someone has been doing some heavy duty shovel work.

Where can coolant go?

1. It can leak, while driving or while parked, or both. Fill the reservoir and put some newspaper under the engine. Look for wet spots the next day. Start the car and let it idle for half an hour (to come up to running temp) and check the newspaper again.
    2. It can get into the combustion chamber through a weak head gasket. Unlikely, expensive, but not impossible as we don't know anything about the supposedly limited miles you put on the car. In days gone by, the test for this would be to remove all the spark plugs. If one plug is MUCH cleaner than the others, that's a pointer to which cylinder is receiving the leakage.
    3. If it's being burned, it will go out the tailpipe as steam. Hold a bit of tissue paper a few inches off the tail pipe (not so close you burn your hand). There can be "some" moisture in the exhaust, but it should be "normal" and I don't know how to reliably convey how much is normal.
    4. Check your coolant level more often and don't fill it above the proper fill level. A pal was concerned about his X5 constantly needing coolant, but he was overfilling it and as soon as the engine came up to temp and the coolant expanded, it was simply distributed on the street as was proper. Don't overfill.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.