Thread: Vanos pressure accumulator leaking, can i disconnect?

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32

Vanos pressure accumulator leaking, can i disconnect?

Hey guys,

I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the top of the pressure accumulator where the line goes in, not sure if it's the line that needs replacement or the accumulator or what.
    I tried to remove the line but the accumulator doesnt have the brackets that hold it in place, so holding it in my arm and turning the line's nut only made the line warp.
    Not sure what to do to remove it without its brackets holding it, i was thinking if the accumulator only provides pressure for start-up rattle, since i was able to remove the other end of the line that goes into the vanos unit, maybe i could just put a bolt there and close it shut. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    1987 BMW M3 S50B32 engine swap

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    could you fix this problem?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    could you fix this problem?
    At the top of the accumulator there's a place where you can put a spanner to hold it while you turn the pipe's bolt without the accumulator turning with it.

As for my car, the leak was behind the bolt in the line, so i had to cut the line near the vanos and get it welded shut til the new line arrived.
    I've been driving the car, but no WOT or pushing it above 4k rpm.

I got the new line but it looks like it might be a PITA to swap the lines, from the engine pic i found below i think i might have to remove the water pump pipe as well, can anyone shed some light?
    vvm2htf.png

Also, does anyone know if running the car without the accumulator would cause damage? When the vanos pressure is lacking it should supplement a little, so without it, the vanos response times would be slightly lower, but nothing damaging to parts i guess. The thing is, having the accumulator i think would lower the overall pressure of the system at its peak since part of the pump's pressure is going to the accumulator to push the spring. What i dont know is if this pressure increase is high enough to damage any vanos related parts, o-rings etc?
    Thanks
    Last edited by liquidtension; 04-12-2022 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    E30 M3 S50B32
    Just to update the thread, i've been looking at the line and it looks like the only troubling part is the TPS bracket which comes off easily and the aluminum pipe that comes out of the thermostat housing/pump rubber pipe.
    I think ITB removal isnt needed to change the line. I'll be changing the water pump soon so hopefully can change the line at the same time.