Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Wiring/pinout diagram needed - Alpine RD1BE850

My Cars
    2002 330ci Convertible

Question Wiring/pinout diagram needed - Alpine RD1BE850

Hey all! I'm looking to replace the OEM Alpine stereo/nav head unit (RD1BE850). This is the model with the two 12 pin plugs, blue & white. I ordered the new E*n*n R50 head unit. But, due to a rather confusing website that gives contradictory information, it seems that the R50 isn't directly compatible with this system despite the website showing it is. And, the wiring adapter harness offered doesn't work with the new R50 units. I'd send it back for an exchange for an earlier unit that works but it's past the measly 14 day return window.

My brother used to install car stereos for a couple years back in the day and says he is relatively certain he could do it 'old school' and put together his own harness if he could find a wiring diagram or at least a diagram of the pinouts. My Google Fu is usually pretty good, but I've been unable to find diagrams that are definitively for this RD1BE850 head unit. So I figured I'd reach out to y'all to see if anyone might have the needed information.

Thanks in advance for the help!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You need the 5 metre harness extension cable that plugs into the back of the car audio loom once you remove the other OEM modules. Run that along the side under the carpet and to the dash area.

The brand of replacement head unit is a chinese replacement type and quality levels are poor, so 'hopefully' the unit you have works well once installed and longer term too. It might do and at which point count yourself 'lucky'. It may also not last all that long before issues/problems occur which is quite likely too! That brand also used to sponsor this very forum and quite a lot of forum members purchased.. after a while the issues/.problems were at the level the site owners kicked them off. They went to the other massive USA BMW forum and sponsored there and plenty of members purchased..the issue/problems were at the level after a short while, the site owners kicked them off. They appeared on a UK forum and plenty of forum members purchased......the issues / problems were such the forum owners kicked them off!

That was some years ago, so look through the E46 section on this forum, bimmerfest, E46 fanatics etc and you'll see the harness you need to buy, to make it more stupid, some of the chinese replacement units have to have the harness thats specific to that head unit too, so check with Enono support if thats the case for the unit you've bought.

As you can see, 'support' isn't great, so if it turns out there is a specific harness only Enono do, you'll have to buy that one from them only. Hopefully thats not the case and then all you'll have in the back of your mind is if the unit you have is a 'good' one that will last relatively well !

My advice overall would be to get a refund and send it back and then get a high quality, established car audio brand double DIN and fit that !

Good luck whichever way you do go though.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2002 330ci Convertible
    Thanks so much for the response Dennis! Yeah, I knew it was a bit of a gamble ordering this unit, but I need to keep the costs down. I've got two kids about to head off to college in a couple years. As much as I would have loved to (I'm a home stereo audio nut) I couldn't justify the expense of buying a high end audio system for my "fun" car. I appreciate the feedback!