Thread: Dreaded Spinning Door Lock

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER

Dreaded Spinning Door Lock

Well, it was bound to happen sooner than later with the spinning door lock. The "T" plate fell out into the door dropping the brass plunger and spring from the assembly. I pulled the handle out and JB welded the unit back together but no success as the lock still spins. I'll be buying a new handle/lock for the M which brings me to the help needed from the forum.

Part #51218401624 is the OE handle/lock/key assembly for the passenger door verified with my VIN# with BMW dealer parts dept.
    (https://www.fcpeuro.com/Parts/?keywords=51218401624)

My question is for anyone who has actually replace the door handle/lock assembly. Does this part come from BMW with key already cut to my OE Key per my VIN#? Two BMW dealer parts people can't answer this question. The part is in Germany and 4-6 weeks to deliver. One BMW dealer was $326 and the other $256 for the same part.

Thank you for the help

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    When I replaced mine (2002 M Roadster), I just got the locks from my dealer. They used my VIN to get the locks which matched my original key.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Thank you for the info khammack.

I did order and receive what the BMW parts guy thought was the correct parts. I got two items. A lock cylinder kit, a bag with many parts that I was told I'd need to take to a locksmith to have assembled to my key configuration. The 2nd item which I thought was going to be the handle assembly turned out to be the cover plate. They refunded my $$$. That is when the parts guy found the complete handle assembly in Germany with a 4-6 week delivery for $326 but he couldn't answer the key question. ECS has the handle assembly for $205 and says it's already keyed to the keys that come with it, not my OE key and the part my be in Germany with a 4 -6 week delivery. I really don't care if I have two different keys, I just want the lock to work.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    UPDATE: The new door handle/lock & keys are due tomorrow. I'll be taking the old handle out and replacing with new unit.

Question: I can remove my OE lock cylinder from old handle assembly and install in new assembly thus keeping both doors keyed to OE key. Has anyone done this?

I think it should work unless it's my OE cylinder that is defective. Anyone have a key cylinder go bad?

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    FED X HAS LOST THE PACKAGE. About says it all!!!

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    FedX delivered the part today. I've been busy this AM shoveling snow and soaking in the hot tub. Soon, I'll get to this project. Have tickets to John Mayall Friday night. Ski resorts now have snow in the Sierra's to ski on. Hawaii project moving forward. Darn M just might be sitting fer a while??? Woe is me! The plan is to secure the T plate with JB weld and wire screen on the new door handle assembly. Then replace the new lock cylinder with OE lock cylinder and replace the old door haqndle with the new door handle assembly on the passenger door. Will advise when completed. I'm tired of working on things!

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Finally opened the box to inspect the new door handle/lock. BMW addressed the "T" plate issue by crimping the top of the housing in an effort to retain the T plate in the housing rather that redesign the poor design. My OE housing is straight, no crimp. I'm not sure what design feature on the OE housing held the T plate in place ....... whatever it was, it didn't work.

OK, the website didn't allow me to insert the picture of the new handle?????? I've exceeded my quota???? I can tune dual SU carbs but a fricking computer?????

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Lenovo.Lenovoo-PC/Pictures/2021-12-20%20TODAY/New%20Door%20Handle.jpg[/IMG]

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    By loading a photo from your computer, you are coping it to the forum. Not sure how much space the forum allocates to each person. You could try reducing the size of your photo and upload it again, or you could try a photo hosting site and just link it from there.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    I modified the new door handle and can't post a picture. The short story is I took my needle files and cut groves in the T plate housing so I can use lock wire to build a wire cage locking the T plate in place. I then JB welded the T plate housing making a tomb of steel (Ok, a tomb of JB weld) encasing the T plate which I don't think it'll never fall out?? I still need to take the door card off and replace the OE handle still in the door. My plan is to remove the OE key cylinder and place in the new door handle. When I get to it, if the OE key cylinder gives me any problems removing it, I'll install the new handle/key and have two keys. I'm tired of messing with things!

Maybe Santa will bring me a 6 speed and supercharger???? I can wish can't I!

Merry Christmas

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    Which part numbers did you order? I see you mentioned a part number in your original post, but later posts indicated that was incorrect. I’m in the same boat and want to follow your lead (but hopefully with less head scratching) so any info you can share on what actually worked is appreciated!
    /Phil

‘74 tii
    dueling ‘88 E28 535is projects (aka lawn art)
    ‘93 Euro M5
    ‘01 M roadster with a sunburn

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    51218401624 is the passenger door handle/lock with two "NEW" keys ("not OE key"). Drivers side is a different part number. Now I just need to install it next week. The different parts you mentioned were ordered from BMW dealer with no part# posted and as stated above were lock cylinder (20-25 parts in a bag) and cover plate.

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    Perfect - thanks for clarifying. Looking forward to hearing how the install goes
    /Phil

‘74 tii
    dueling ‘88 E28 535is projects (aka lawn art)
    ‘93 Euro M5
    ‘01 M roadster with a sunburn

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    It's finished! Yeah ............... The replacement door handle was a correct fit/finish. I was able to remove and install without removing the window or rear window guide channel with my big blind hands. Had to blindly feel for two placements points for install. Simple procedure including the door card which received some needed TLC. Glue and mesh cement joint tape works wonders on the inside of the door cards.

I installed the new door handle with "NEW" key. Once I had OE unit out, I tried to drive out the retaining cylinder lock pin with no success. It went like this: Do i want one or two keys????? I'll know .... once I attempt to drive the pin out of the OE handle which I did.... After fussing with it and a few hammer taps I realized I don't have the setup to properly drive the retaining pin out without inflecting hammer blow force on the OE handle assembly. What damage will that cause to my "NEW" handle/lock???????????????? I'll have two keys please!

All is good and time to drop the top for an afternoon drive.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Follow up on the new handle/lock. Better "KEY/LOCK" feel than the OE drivers door. My main OE key is well worn, no sharp edges and works on all OE locks. However, the new lock is firm and crisp when inserting and turning to lock/unlocking passenger door. I get a much firmer snap than the OE driver side! The unlocking/turning of the drivers lock feels like the key is pushing the "unlock throw" to the end of it's range ............... is it going to make it???? Come on baby ..... catch!!! Wear on the lock/handle assembly or is there any adjustment I didn't see???

Dose anyone feel the same lock response with their older/worn Z3's key/lock? (2001, 108K)

I think I'll be ordering the drivers side handle/lock and figure out the keys later. It's odd having a new key on the chain, good repair.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    The driver door lock is toast. I ordered BMW part 51 21 8 401 627 which is keyed to OE/VIN for the drivers door. Earlier I contacted 3 BMW dealers for the passenger door lock/handle keyed to my OE/VIN key. None of their parts dept people could answer the OE/VIN key question. They didn't know or took the time to research the correct part keyed to OE/VIN key. That is why I bought the new keyed handle/lock for the passenger door. I didn't want another key for the drivers side and called a 4th BMW parts department, he knew where to look and gave me the correct part number in a minute which I ordered (1 -2 week delivery keyed to my VIN#)

I did speak with INDY mechanic with knowledge of the handle/lock issue. He stated if the lock cylinder is in good condition and the "T" plate falls out, repairing the "T" plate will fix the issue. However, if the lock cylinder is worn........ he'll only replace the handle/lock assembly ...... In others words, bite the bullet and just buy the OE/VIN# handle/lock and save the brain damage!

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    NLA baby!!!! BMW notified me BMW no longer supports the Z3 for VIN/Key on the door handles.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    That's too bad given that it is a known weak spot. When I had my 1984 Kawasaki ZN1100, Kawasakii was still pretty supportive. They seemed to have the attitude that the more old Kawis still on the road, the better it was for their brand. I'm glad you got in under the wire though.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Hi Hoyt. I missed the boat!! I need to order the ubiquitous "new" keyed drivers door handle like I did on the other side. When 3 BMW dealers told me there was no VIN/KEY part# for the passenger door, now I know why.

Me, I'm in the process of building a new home and the M isn't in my future plans here on Hawaii island, 45 is the speed limit and the roads suck not to mention the rain, mud and VOG. Time to drive the truck/camper while the house is being built. I do plan on shipping my BMW K1200LT bike over, $600 is a no brainier, just got to ride it to San Diego. The M will be destroyed and diminished value here. That being said, the next owner of their soon to be new ride is a very well sorted S54 that goes Vroom vroom. I'll miss my 01 M as I do the TR3A, MGA1600, MGB, MGB, MGB GT, MGC GT, Z3 1.9, S52 M but at this later time of my life, I'm now in a place where the record high is 87 and record low is 45 at 3500 feet, five miles from Kilauea crater. Pele is one hot chick.

Sports cars have been in my blood since childhood. I'll always fondly remember them. My F350 with stout running boards makes entry/exit out of the truck an ease. Getting in and out of the M, friends & Family make bets on how long it'll take me!! Being a normal size man of six foot five and 300 pounds, once in the M it's all good. Getting in and out is the main reason it's not coming to the island. Maybe I'll diet and get to 280 with my snorkel gear

Aloha

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    All the best in your new chapter. It sounds fantastic!
    Cheers!