Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro aftermarket radio

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    The same one is on Etsy for $5

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah what scenturion posted looks about right. The BMW harness adapter always looks a little weird, the female side is replicating the back of the radio, so it's not usually seen as a spare harness like that. The ISO connectors are pretty standard for many aftermarket radios. I've always made my own - you just buy the harnesses for both sides and wire it up

What you may be thinking is the adapter is actually the pile of other crap it comes with... microphone, auxiliary input relocation thing, whatever else

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    ^+1. I always build my own. Then I know exactly what’s what

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    If you're lucky like me, PO hacked the factory harness up so bad it's easier to just wire the unit directly into the car!
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    If you're lucky like me, PO hacked the factory harness up so bad it's easier to just wire the unit directly into the car!
    Wow, that is lucky! I've uninstalled and reinstalled the same Pioneer Premier HU into (5?) cars now since the late 90s. The radio side harness shrinks a little each time I swap it over. The last install into the M was hilarious when I only had about an inch of wire in a couple spots. I should probably spring for a new one someday.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    FWIW, I went with a Kienzle (fits stock opening), which I ordered from Germany (and an adapter) it has a frontal USB and a rear as well.

Details in this thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=Kienzle

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    I looked for the Kienzle but can't find anything. The only page I find is in German and nothing about the HU.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by White Z View Post
    I looked for the Kienzle but can't find anything. The only page I find is in German and nothing about the HU.
    My records show I bought the Kienzle CR1223BT and adapters via eBay. I just searched eBay wordlwide and see none available today.
    I'm unsure whether a newer model replaced it.
    Good luck,
    Brad

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    You can splice in the stock radio harness plug, THEN build out an adapter, so it's returnable to original... just sayin'

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You can splice in the stock radio harness plug, THEN build out an adapter, so it's returnable to original... just sayin'
    It's on the "long" list.

Audio didn't work at all when I got the car and she needed a LOT of other help so I just got it off the ground the best I could.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    After going around and around with it, I think I'm going to go the Continental route. I don't really mind the color being off a few shades and most of the time it'll be daylight so I won't even notice the yellow.
    The main things I was looking for was that I wasn't blinded at night and I could get back to the retro look the car was missing. Thanks everyone for as always, the great help. Once I get it installed I'll send a few pictures and a little review. It might be awhile since the car is vacationing in AZ.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    The main things I was looking for was that I wasn't blinded at night and I could get back to the retro look the car was missing.
    For some reason, a lot of shops (and possibly DIYers) just never hook up the illumination/dimmer wire. When I pull the headlight switch, my ancient Pioneer drops most of its illumination for night driving. I think I have 20 or 25 different levels of brightness. I run full bright with lights off, and just a tick or two above full dim with lights on. Some radios are smart enough and have a built in light sensor and do that job automatically. Of course, most modern radios are hideous. The Continental will always look good.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 11-04-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    I believe if you use this harness ( the black end plugs into the black piece in the car) and the other two plug into the back of the HU then that should be it. The lighted buttons should dim as you dim the headlight knob but the main display area will always remain the same intensity. We shall see....
    Screenshot_20211105-084904_Chrome~2.jpg

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    I’m still a huge fan of the original iPod, and I’ve found the CD43 with Grom adapter is about the best ticket to get tunes in a 80’s - 90’s - 00’s era BMW in a package that matches stock. Grom also offers Bluetooth and satellite radio options as plug in modules, but I don’t like Bluetooth for audio so I’ve never tried them, can’t vouch for them.
    /Phil

‘74 tii
    dueling ‘88 E28 535is projects (aka lawn art)
    ‘93 Euro M5
    ‘01 M roadster with a sunburn

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Yep. Grom unit works well. USB plug hidden and shows track info on cd43 display (within single line limits). I play Spotify, Amazon music, podcasts, etc via iPhone with out any issues.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    I know this is an older post but I said I would update it when I finished the project. I finally got around to installing the radio yesterday and it works great. Although the color is a little off it does look better than the super bright blue and fits the car. Overall happy with it...
    IMG_20220116_073126.jpg

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Looks good, to the casual observer they could easily think that came from the factory and that's what you want.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I know this is an older post but I said I would update it when I finished the project. I finally got around to installing the radio yesterday and it works great. Although the color is a little off it does look better than the super bright blue and fits the car. Overall happy with it...
    Thanks for following up on the thread! Looks good to me.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    It does look right. I don't want to nitpick (but I guess I'm doing it anyway) but it kinda' looks like there should be a trim piece around the perimeter. But hey, it would certainly be OK with me and like I said, it does look right.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I ended up doing the same thing. I really like it, only "issue" is that it doesn't power on automatically with key-on. Have to manually turn it on every time. Not sure if this is a wire in the wrong place or just how the unit is designed.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    You should have a constant 12v and a switched 12v input to the head. Then I would expect it to power on with start as long as it was on when you last stopped.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    I ended up doing the same thing. I really like it, only "issue" is that it doesn't power on automatically with key-on. Have to manually turn it on every time. Not sure if this is a wire in the wrong place or just how the unit is designed.
    I'm having trouble following the conversation, but if you installed a continental/vdo radio the installation instructions use poor wording and you likely accidentally switched the 12v+ and Switched 12v leads. I think they didn't even follow the standard for the plug they used on those radios. At least on the CD7416UB-OR

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by panasonic View Post
    I'm having trouble following the conversation, but if you installed a continental/vdo radio the installation instructions use poor wording and you likely accidentally switched the 12v+ and Switched 12v leads. I think they didn't even follow the standard for the plug they used on those radios. At least on the CD7416UB-OR
    The crappy harness I got from amazon for the Conti/VDO radio had these switched at the factory. Worth checking.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3
    After using the stereo for about a week now I've made a few observations. Although they aren't bad they seem a little quirky.
    PThe sound is just about alright. Since I'm a bit older I don't need the thumping bass anymore just a nice quality sound will do.
    I did notice that when the unit is set for "North America" or "USA" in the settings once the key is turned off or removed the unit clock resets to 12:00am ( the unit DOES NOT lose power since preset stations are saved). This seemed odd and I thought maybe I had the wires incorrectly attached but if you change the settings to "Europe" the clock behaves perfectly. Once again in "North American" mode the radio stations do not show song title and artist along with radio station identification, but set the system to "Europe" and everything seems to show up except that the AM stations are replaced by LW (I guess a band that is used across the pond). Again, although small they really don't other me I just thought I would let others know in case someone else is in the market to purchase. The instructions that came with the unit are weak at best so I hope this information helps.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by scenturion View Post
    The crappy harness I got from amazon for the Conti/VDO radio had these switched at the factory. Worth checking.
    Finally got around to pulling the head unit out. Sure enough, I switched the yellow and red wires around and now it works as it should.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast