So after looking online I decided it was time for a fun car, a bit of a project, but still affordable, sporty and good looking. So I bought a Z4 E85 2.5i. Previous owner had the car for 10 year but only drove 27000km with it. So the car has just been sitting in the garage for a long long time doing noting.

At the moment the car has a Tamper dot as the IKE (instrument cluster) was changed about 10 years ago with a second hand unit. Yet not programmed to match the car. Now as I just bought the car, it really gets on my nerves that little red dot, a reminder of a job that needs doing... like when you where 10 and your mother would go, "go clean your room"...

Now my car has the M35080vp chip in the dashboard so I can't program the unit with my VIN using PA Soft. It just tells me to factory reset the unit, yet this option is blanked out. After reading on the internet, the answer is rather straight forward. A M35080 chip will not be coded using any software tools while the unit is mounted in the car.

Source:

7.) The only current way to make a used M35080 algorithm chip cluster read 000000 odometer is by disassembling the cluster and connecting a eeprom reader to clear it out.
Source:

https://www.m5board.com/threads/recodin ... 004/page-3

Then after some more reading and Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSjGOXzRUz4

I bought the "Professional R270 For BMW CAS4 BDM Auto Key Programmer V1.20 CAS4 BDM" kit out of China with the clamp. I did not get the blue board but the red board. After the modification of removing the yellow transistor and a stable power supply. I was able to read and write EEPROM chips.

Just to be sure I also bought 2 spare clusters to "play around with" so the car is still in fine.

Now I have disassembled the 2 spare cluster and I can read the EEPROM chip type M35080vp. So i changed the first 2 line (mileages) using the onboard HEX editor to zero's and then the VIN number being stored on line 000060.

Then to do a check that all has been coded as expected I hooked the test unit up in the car and it's showing a mileage of 146000km while if I read the chip it says the mileage is 0. Also the tamper dot is still turned on.

Next try was to download the BIN file from my current IKE and then upload that into the new cluster. After doing this and changing the VIN and mileage the Cluster just said PPPP and I could not even talk to it via INPA.

So no success when trying to change the cluster while the chip is still mounted on the circuit board. Also I read somewhere that it's just easier to replace the chips. Ordered the M35080vp out of china, first batch was labelled 080DOWT so ordered again and this time did receive the M35080vp chip. I did try and install the 080DOWT, but obviously this did not work, reading and writing to this chip was no issue at all.

I have INPA and NCS Expert running at the moment and I am busy trying to get ISTA D and ISTA P up and running. So I should be able to code the unit once I have a good "virgin" cluster. Just having difficulty on what to do next.

Now I am stuck and I need a bit of guidance, although I do have some issues.

1. try and erase the original chips from the spare clusters even after de-soldering them. Yet for some reason, my CAS4 will not erase these chips.
2. I can write to the new chips, yet they do not function when I connect the cluster back in the car.

It's properly me forgetting a step somewhere... so any bit of help would be much appreciated.