Thread: Overheating 325?

My Cars
    1988 325ic

Overheating 325?

I’ve got a persistent cooling-system problem in my ‘88 325ic: the temperature-gauge reading seems highly volatile (rising past mid-point more frequently than it ought to.)

The problem started about a year ago, with the engine temperature rising in summer stop-and-go traffic to the point where it blew hoses and those wonderful plastic radiator hose-clamp fittings. (I always got out of traffic and shut it down before the gauge got into the red, though.)

Partly in response to this problem I put in a low-temp thermostat, so that under normal operating conditions the temp-gauge needle points to the first hash-mark. Of course, this did nothing: low-speed operation in hot conditions still sends the needle unsettlingly close to the red zone.

I’ve tested the 91/99* auxiliary-fan sending-unit and rewired the connector without finding any problems: both fans come on with the appropriate cross-wiring (hence no blown fuses, either), and there’s continuity between each fuse and the corresponding connector pin.

However, when the problem recurred a few days ago, I did what I should have done some time ago (actually, I really thought I had): I looked through the grill and found that the auxiliary fan wasn’t running. (Checking under the hood, the engine didn’t seem to be over-heated: no heat shimmer, expanded hoses or the like. [This entirely subjective observation is probably optimistic and worthless.])

However, the seeming contradiction between the gauge reading and other indicators has got me questioning the temp sending unit and the gauge itself.

Has anybody got any ideas about possible causality or further testing? (Would it work to boil some water and immerse the tip of the brown sending unit? [Thinking further: and monitor the gauge as the water cools? That really oughta work, to my mind.])
    Thanks, guys!

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    I forgot to mention that I’ve also replaced the head gasket and the rest of the stuff you’re supposed to, including the water pump.
    Also that the car runs just great. (Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln . . .)

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Have you checked the radiator?

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    I'd buy a cheap Laser temp gun reader thing and see what the engine temp actually is. Maybe your gauges is off. Try hitting your dash ha, I have to do that every ride to get it off blue.

I bought a nice spal pull fan that seems to work well and I use an aftermarket fan controller with a temp sensor I put through the radiator. I can adjust the turn on temp on the fly with a knob. It's not elegant but works. I feel like you have an aux fan issue or the gauge is wacky or temp sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as mentioned above, maybe a restriction in your radiator could do that...not sure.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    so the stock fan has been replaced by a pusher then ?
    sounds like the temp sensor is out.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    so the stock fan has been replaced by a pusher then ?
    sounds like the temp sensor is out.
    What is your fan set up? Do you have an aux fan and the one that runs off the belt or just an electric aux? Should be a puller fan of it's behind the radiator. Pusher if in front of the rad obv.

- - - Updated - - -

I only bring up the last comment, because my car came to me with a pusher installed behind the rad which isn't helpful. Good to check which way it's spinning never know.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikealwa View Post
    What is your fan set up? Do you have an aux fan and the one that runs off the belt or just an electric aux? Should be a puller fan of it's behind the radiator. Pusher if in front of the rad obv.

- - - Updated - - -

I only bring up the last comment, because my car came to me with a pusher installed behind the rad which isn't helpful. Good to check which way it's spinning never know.

i have the stock set up - puller fan on a belt behind the rad. loads of guys mod the cooling system, deleting the stock fan, and add electric pusher fans and temp sensors to run them.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    Haha I meant to dandydawg

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Haha I meant to dandydawg
    lol

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    He's been scared off.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Overheating in stop and go traffic is almost always the fan clutch. Perform the newspaper test. With the engine at operating temperature, try and stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper. If it slows down easily, you have a bad fan clutch.

Standard operation of the aux fan is
    normally off
    above 91C/196F, or with the AC on, fan comes on at normal (low) speed
    above 99C/210F, fan kicks up to high speed.
    Measurement for this is based on a reading from the switch(es) mounted on the radiator.

The typical failure mode on the gauge is due to a loose ground nut on the back of the instrument cluster. I'm not sure what this actually does to the gauge behavior. More likely is air trapped in the system causing superheated steam to hit the gauge sensor located on the thermostat housing. This might also explain the seeming contradiction between the gauge and the fan. See here for proper bleeding procedures https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post28749366
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    I'd buy a cheap Laser temp gun reader thing and see what the engine temp actually is. Maybe your gauges is off. Try hitting your dash ha, I have to do that every ride to get it off blue.

I bought a nice spal pull fan that seems to work well and I use an aftermarket fan controller with a temp sensor I put through the radiator. I can adjust the turn on temp on the fly with a knob. It's not elegant but works. I feel like you have an aux fan issue or the gauge is wacky or temp sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as mentioned above, maybe a restriction in your radiator could do that...not sure.
    What’s the meaning of the 200 on the center of the expansion cap tank? See photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    That's 200 kPa, which is ~14.3 psi.
    It'll lift to release pressure when surpassing that. It's for the coolant system what a fuse is to the electronics; a designed weakest point to prevent escalations in other areas.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    That's 200 kPa, which is ~14.3 psi.
    It'll lift to release pressure when surpassing that. It's for the coolant system what a fuse is to the electronics; a designed weakest point to prevent escalations in other areas.
    Ok
    Is it safe for an old e46? Isn’t it too high? Just wondering.
    I read somewhere about using a cap with lower pressure limit in order to relieve the cooling system from excessive pressure and thereby reducing risks of failure on radiator and pipes.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I’m not familiar with the E46
    I’d just use the cap limit that bmw designed for it.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataa View Post
    Ok
    Is it safe for an old e46? Isn’t it too high? Just wondering.
    I read somewhere about using a cap with lower pressure limit in order to relieve the cooling system from excessive pressure and thereby reducing risks of failure on radiator and pipes.

if you find one toss it on and tell us how it goes. pretty sure they are matched to the year / engine / model series.
    would be interested if they interchange. plus it's not my engine or head gasket trying it lol

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    if you find one toss it on and tell us how it goes. pretty sure they are matched to the year / engine / model series.
    would be interested if they interchange. plus it's not my engine or head gasket trying it lol

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    I dug this thing out of the archives because I HATE incomplete threads.
    Richardodn nailed it: it was the fan clutch all along, and the newspaper test he suggests is quick and definitive.
    (Also: I wasn’t ‘scared off’ the discussion - it just got too cold up here to get the engine to overheat!)
    Thanks, guys!

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    Re a previous thread:
    An unsolicited update: 330K miles and running strong with the original bottom end. (I’ve done several head replacements)
    (Okay: I’m tempting fate with this hubristic post, but I’m really proud of the old girl.)

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    I'll join you in the jinx...I have 300k plus on mine, no replacements engine components. 🥲 Glad your temps are in control!