Thread: Is it possible to tighten seat belt tension?

My Cars
    '17 535, '16 X1, '01 Z3

Is it possible to tighten seat belt tension?

My seat belts are slow to retract, and now that I've replaced te seat belt guides in the seat, they are even slower, I have to manually feed it back so it's not hanging lose. Is it possible to tighten this tension? or are they just done due to age?

Thanks

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If they are dirty and stiff, a good wash will make them retract a lot better.

That would be the first step.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    The coil spring in the seat belt is greased. The grease dries out and cruds up. It requires removal, disassembly, cleaning, greasing, and reassembly. DIY is possible, but you need a special tool to rewind the coil spring. I improved mine in the Coupe but its not perfect; however, much better than it was.

There is also a company online that rebuilds and warranties them I believe.

If you want to DIY, PM me your shipping info and I can shoot you the tool I made, its just a 3/8" socket with a piece of plate welded to it with the appropriate shape to coil the spring back up. I did not take photos and such in process for a write up unfortunately as this is a safety item this is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    That's what I did and it helped a lot. I pulled the belt all the way out and put a small clamp on it to keep it from retracting. Then a bucket of warm water and some mild soap with a scrub brush. Let it fully dry before retracting. Looked better also.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    You don't need yet another opinion to wash it, but I have to say that simple washing fixed that problem for me. I also clamped it and let it dry as Indiana did.
    Here's an older, longer, post about it: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...your-seat-belt!
    Last edited by zellamay; 10-26-2021 at 12:30 PM.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    You don't need yet another opinion to wash it, but I have to say that simple washing fixed that problem for me. I also clamped it and let it dry as Indiana did.
    Here's an older, longer, post about it: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...your-seat-belt!
    I tried that and it didn't help. And, like the OP when I put new leather with new guides, the problem got worse since the new guides are rougher. I'll send them out for cleaning and rebuilding, maybe, this winter. The problem is the pain of removing them as I have an aftermarket roll bar with speakers installed.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    '17 535, '16 X1, '01 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    The coil spring in the seat belt is greased. The grease dries out and cruds up. It requires removal, disassembly, cleaning, greasing, and reassembly. DIY is possible, but you need a special tool to rewind the coil spring. I improved mine in the Coupe but its not perfect; however, much better than it was.

There is also a company online that rebuilds and warranties them I believe.

If you want to DIY, PM me your shipping info and I can shoot you the tool I made, its just a 3/8" socket with a piece of plate welded to it with the appropriate shape to coil the spring back up. I did not take photos and such in process for a write up unfortunately as this is a safety item this is AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    Thanks for the offer, but seems too complex. I will try washing them first, if that doesn't work then I'll contact you for the tool.