Thread: New owner trailering question

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster

New owner trailering question

New member & first post.

I'm planning to buy and trailer home a 2000 M Roadster and after some research have decided the best way to tie down the car is with T-hooks at the jacking points. This requires removal of the jack pads. It seems BMW used several styles of jack pads and as best as I can determine, this car has two Torx-head screws per pad that hold them in. The picture below shows replacement screws that are phillips, but the BMW replacement screw appears to be Torx.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, what size Torx screwdriver do I need? I am trying to make sure I have what I need when I get there.

Thanks, Tim

pic07.jpg
    Last edited by NWPATim; 10-24-2021 at 09:32 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    When faced with that situation, I buy a whole set of (in this case ), Torx bits. Then I have the right one, and the right one for the next job.

My Cars
    2001 z3 roadster; 2001 m
    Having hauled everything from a Z3M (400 miles) to a 528i to an F350 I use straps through the wheels. The ones I use have a metal ring at the end,go through the wheel and use a standard strap ratchet. Never had a problem. No matter how you tie down, always check your load after you've gone a few miles to verify all is OK.

My Cars
    2001 z3 roadster; 2001 m

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I'm no expert in towing, but straps around the wheels seems the most common way and always seems very secure. I'd hate to see you lose the car off the trailer becuse you did something unusual.

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster
    Thanks for the replies. I have several Torx sets but having been a field tech (non-automotive) for many years, hate surprises. I will have straps to tie down the wheels if needed. The T-hook method is (I have read) what BMW specifies. My trailer only has anchor points along the sides so strapping the wheels will pull them sideways, but maybe this won't hurt anything. See post 5 here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ow-to-tie-down
    Strapping the wheels would sure be easier.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    I sure wouldn't want to depend on the strength of 2 screws to hold my car down.
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    2001 z3 roadster; 2001 m
    One other tip for loading cars with low front clearance. I made up 2 blocks consisting of three short pieces of 2x10 staggered to form a mini ramp. I drive the back wheels of the truck onto these ramps which raises the hitch and lowers the back of the trailer thus decreasing the angle of the ramps and saving your front spoiler.
    Also, when tying down I go at a 45 degree angle so the pull is not straight to the side.
    Tried to post pic of the z3 I hauled but can't figure out how to do

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    The car has slots for the T-hooks in the frame under the jack pads. The screws and jack pads are removed to expose these slots.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    DSC05697.jpg

I would be more concerned with getting the proper tongue weight than worrying about which method to tie down the car.

When I rented a trailer it came with straps that go over the tires.

Get some carpet runner protector from home depot, its cheap and works wonders protecting the car from rock chips and bugs.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Get some carpet runner protector from home depot, its cheap and works wonders protecting the car from rock chips and bugs.
    I often wonder why folks pay 50% or more over the top for enclosed transport. Where did they think the car spent the last 10k, 20k, 100k miles? Inside a trailer? The plastic wrap makes complete sense with proximity to a tow vehicle's rear wheels kicking up crap, but if I was buying a car that goes on a multi-car hauler, I'm certainly not that concerned that it sees the elements. It's good enough for new cars.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    The car will be held securely with T-hooks fitted in slots in the frame of the car. These slots are covered by the jack pads. The straps will criss-cross under the car (front right T-hook to rear left trailer anchor, etc.) It is my understanding that this is how the cars are tie-down for transport over seas.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPATim View Post
    The car will be held securely with T-hooks fitted in slots in the frame of the car. These slots are covered by the jack pads. The straps will criss-cross under the car (front right T-hook to rear left trailer anchor, etc.) It is my understanding that this is how the cars are tie-down for transport over seas.
    oh, gotcha. I didn't read carefully enough.
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANXD View Post
    One other tip for loading cars with low front clearance. I made up 2 blocks consisting of three short pieces of 2x10 staggered to form a mini ramp. I drive the back wheels of the truck onto these ramps which raises the hitch and lowers the back of the trailer thus decreasing the angle of the ramps and saving your front spoiler.
    Also, when tying down I go at a 45 degree angle so the pull is not straight to the side.
    Tried to post pic of the z3 I hauled but can't figure out how to do
    I have the exact ramps made from 2x12's. I made these years ago for changing the oil in a Corvette. I'll take them with me. Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Screw trailering it. Drive it home. this time of year would be perfect for a top down drive. You could always have someone follow you with the trailer just in case.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    You have to know what your doing using T hooks to tie a down a car when trailering. Plus, the hooks used for the BMWs are specific to those that use the plastic pads. Universal T-hooks are usually one-size-fits-all. You already have the proper hooks?
    I much prefer to strap the tire/wheels. You can solidly strap the tires, but when tying down the suspended body, you need to compress the suspension pretty far, sometimes to the snubbers. Otherwise, you get a slide-hammer effect on the anchoring points as the car bounces along sitting on the trailer. I have seen some severe damage caused by the suspension working while in transit.
    Just my opinion-Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 10-26-2021 at 01:14 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    You have to know what your doing using T hooks to tie a down a car when trailering. Plus, the hooks used for the BMWs are specific to those that use the plastic pads. Universal T-hooks are usually one-size-fits-all. You already have the proper hooks?
    I much prefer to strap the tire/wheels. You can solidly strap the tires, but when tying down the suspended body, you need to compress the suspension pretty far, sometimes to the snubbers. Otherwise, you get a slide-hammer effect on the anchoring points as the car bounces along sitting on the trailer. I have seen some severe damage caused by the suspension working while in transit.
    Just my opinion-Donny
    Just another opinion. I once trailered my motorcycle from up here in Ontario, Canada down to Asheville, NC. I rented a bike friendly trailer from U-Haul ($15 per day) and strapped the front end down by the fork/steering frame? I ratcheted the straps until the forks bottomed right out to prevent them bouncing up and down and loosening the straps or shifting the bike on the trailer. They were air assisted forks so in order to prevent blowing the seals, I opened up the top caps to relive the pressure. I re-pressurized them when I took the bike down off the trailer. The front straps were pulling the bike forward into the chalks and the rear straps were pulling to the rear and the bike was in gear.
    Proper tongue weight is also important. My guess is about 100lbs at the hitch would be good. You certainly don't want the trailer to be back heavy and you also don't want to put excessive weight on your hitch.
    Anyway, this is just my experience and I'm no expert in trailering. 'just some more ideas to consider. Good luck!

My Cars
    WTB M Roadster
    Follow-up:
    There and back today and all went well. The T-hooks fit perfectly and the car never moved on the 6 hour ride home. This method was very easy; 8 screws to remove the jack pads and they came out easy with a Phillips stubby screw driver. The straps were tight but not overly tight. I used rubber pads where the hooks contacted the frame inside of the slots. No stress on the wheels/hubs/suspension.
    These are the T-hooks I bought:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTD-340003

As to tongue weight; I pull a vehicle onto the trailer and watch for the back of the truck to drop slightly. Don't want too much (exceed tongue weight) or too little (dangerously unstable trailer). Never had an issue.

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg
    Last edited by NWPATim; 10-28-2021 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Congrats and beautiful looking automobile!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPATim View Post
    Well, if they're secure enough that you can put the trailer on its side...!

Looking forward to some more pics of the car.