Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Best at Diagnosis? (A Diagnosis Simulator)

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Who's Best at Diagnosis? (A Diagnosis Simulator)

sergeant.jpg

"Alright men, line up.

Today we will find out the real men from the boys.

https://simulator.electude.com/game

Diagnose your cars and post your scores.

Tutorial to get familiarized with the tools available is found in the menu once you start the game.

Don't let me down, maggots!!"

----

For legal reasons this was written under the persona of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, and not myself.

This is an extremely in depth simulator with a fully working multimeter, oscilloscope, OBD-II scanner with live data, breakout box, fuel pressure gauge, and wiring diagrams. Wires can be replaced, as with car parts. I'm learning lots from it. How to trace voltage drops, currently. For those of us who are into this type of thing, we'd be able to learn a lot from each other, using this resource.

How to use it:
    -
    Go to the link above
    - They'll send you an e-mail to verify your account with
    - Press Start Level
    - Once the sim is loaded up, click the 3 lines on the left side, and click tutorial. Watch it to familiarize yourself
    - Getter done & post your scores
    Last edited by E0339; 10-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Can I just throw customer pay parts at it?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Yup! I noticed most of the issues they present are more in depth though. Usually the parts themselves are good.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Can I just throw customer pay parts at it?
    tried playing with it. couldn't navigate the site

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I tried the simulator, looks like it doesn’t do anything.
    Maybe it isn’t intended to work on an iPad. I’ll try it on my PC.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    tried playing with it. couldn't navigate the site
    That's odd. Was it not loading for you and that's why you couldn't navigate the site? Were the buttons not working after the site was loaded up? Something else? If you give me more details I can share some tips. It's a bit slow to load for me, but it's always worked. I use it on a computer in the Chrome Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I tried the simulator, looks like it doesn’t do anything.
    Maybe it isn’t intended to work on an iPad. I’ll try it on my PC.
    Maybe. They do mention iPhones, but I only used it on my computer using the Chrome browser. Give that a shot
    Last edited by E0339; 10-21-2021 at 09:00 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Computer here too, also w Chrome.
    The first scenario presented was a crank no start. My first diagnostic was to check fuel pressure (tach was registering cranking speed so assumed spark) which was zero.
    Couldn't manage to find a fuse chart and decided not to begin exchanging fuses willy nilly so abandoned the "job".
    I'm currently confounded with a real world car having intermittent stability/traction control issues so my feeble brain is otherwise occupied.
    EDIT: A thought has just occurred to me; Does the instrument display include a fuel gauge? Perhaps I washed out over an empty tank.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-22-2021 at 08:38 AM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Even on my PC the simulator doesn't run.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Computer here too, also w Chrome.
    The first scenario presented was a crank no start. My first diagnostic was to check fuel pressure (tach was registering cranking speed so assumed spark) which was zero.
    Couldn't manage to find a fuse chart and decided not to begin exchanging fuses willy nilly so abandoned the "job".
    I'm currently confounded with a real world car having intermittent stability/traction control issues so my feeble brain is otherwise occupied.
    EDIT: A thought has just occurred to me; Does the instrument display include a fuel gauge? Perhaps I washed out over an empty tank.
    electude-tester.jpg

Just like real life eh? Most of us don't have easy to access wiring diagrams for our cars! The instrument gauge doesn't have a fuel gauge but the tutorial section goes over all the tools you have which include a wiring diagram and a fuel pressure gauge. Give it a watch once and you'll be ready to go. Intermittent issues sound lovely. Good luck.

Even on my PC the simulator doesn't run.
    I wish it would work for you Jim! I feel like you'd ace it. What are you seeing? I tried on my iPhone last night, and it worked fine.
    Last edited by E0339; 10-22-2021 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe I need to sign up with my email and a password?? Not interested in doing that.
    This is what I see. The various tools do display, I can enlarge the pic of the car.

3AD29FE2-9C2B-4A2B-96F2-F0D116608616.jpg

09239FF1-8CB8-4C36-B4AA-D733501F0C51.jpg
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-22-2021 at 10:45 AM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Oh. That's the simulator loaded up and working, Jim! The experiment tab, which you are on, gives you a fully working version of the car to play around with. You can connect the tools to different parts of the car. Back probe connectors, connect the oscilloscope to the negative terminal and back probe connectors, like the ignition coils, turn it on, turn the car on, and watch the wave forms as the ignition coils react to the throttle. If you click the 3 lines in the middle left of your screen, you'd be able to access the tutorial. Give that a watch and you'll see all the tools available to you, and all the actions you're able to do within this simulator. You'll also see the depth this simulator goes to. It's incredible to see, even if you don't want to log in. Just seeing a fully emulated multimeter is amazing to me, let alone a fully working oscilloscope.

To access the 3 levels of diagnostic challenges, which is really the fun challenging part, you do have to enter an email and password. After you log in, you're greeted with this screen. Well worth it in my opinion! I'd love to see your scores. I have a bunch of trash e-mails, I'm happy to make an account you can log into if you'd like.

electude2.jpg

EDIT: I added instructions for starting up the sim in the original post.
    Last edited by E0339; 10-22-2021 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Yeah registering is a lot more effort than I'm willing to put into this. Got plenty to do already writing ECU code patches to make my car run ITBs.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    Yeah registering is a lot more effort than I'm willing to put into this. Got plenty to do already writing ECU code patches to make my car run ITBs.
    Wow, very cool! I wouldn't even know where to start. Is it literal text edit coding, or more like the select an option and write to car that I see more often?
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I detected the failure: the simulator isn't working
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    That sass! It works fine for everyone who's tried it.
    Last edited by E0339; 10-24-2021 at 02:22 AM.
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    It's broken for me too.
    Also no highscores visible anymore.
    Error upon login (rpc.php):

Warning: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"? in /home/dba_man/simulator/site/db.php on line 18
    {"error":"Session timed out. Please refresh this page."}
    Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/sessions) in Unknown on line 0

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Who's Best at Diagnosis? (A Diagnosis Simulator)

Uh oh. Of course it starts to fall apart once I shared it. I noticed the error recently, too. Last time I just pressed play or whichever the button is and it loaded up through whatever BS it was throwing.

Hopefully it doesn't totally crap out, because I genuinely love using it and it's teaching me a lot. I swear it was fully working when I shared the link!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryEsman View Post
    Uh oh. Of course it starts to fall apart once I shared it. I noticed the error recently, too. Last time I just pressed play or whichever the button is and it loaded up through whatever BS it was throwing.

Hopefully it doesn't totally crap out, because I genuinely love using it and it's teaching me a lot. I swear it was fully working when I shared the link!

"this is the last time I tell you this is the first time it happens to me"

For me it never worked perfectly. I got the errors from the get go. Windows desktop PC, chrome or firefox, both with the same errors.

Good sim tho, even if it doesn't work all the time for all whom have tried it. Congrats on the effort!
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Alright boys. She's dead. Damnit. I literally spent 3 days learning foundational electronics and how to diagnose electric problems, excited to test the theory out in this sim, and now it decided to throw itself off of a bridge.

Fingers crossed it gets fixed, because this sim is incredible.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe the intent was to collect email address and lots of spam is now on the way??
    I could never get it to work on my iPad or a few different Windows PC.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe the intent was to collect email address and lots of spam is now on the way??

My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    No i think these guys are legit.
    I've sent them an email and i'll try to call them again tomorrow.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Nope. They're an automotive educational platform. It's a legit sim. As I mentioned I used it before multiple times. I'm also in contact with them through email. Hopefully they'll get this thing back up and running soon so that we can use it to get better at diagnosis, compare our scores and help one another learn

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    It's lupus.

My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    It's working again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast